What's new

Denon 2805 or 3805 Please help (1 Viewer)

Tyler_T.

Grip
Hey guys:

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to HT and new to the site as well...

I am comparing these 2 particular models after extensive research and reviews but just can't decide...

I am in Canada and the 2805 is $1200 and the 3805 is $1800...

Is the 3805 worth the extra $600?

I think the remote looks really cool but then it doesn't come with the auto calibration mic...

so is it really worth it as far as performance, features, sound, value, overall comparisons?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I'm far from an expert and do not presently own either but here's my take on it:

Difference in sound: If you A/B'd these two receivers being careful to ensure identical settings, I doubt you'd be able to hear any difference.

Difference in features: You say you've already done this. Ask yourself if there any features that the 3805 has that you need to have (need to have, not would be nice to have) that the 2805 doesn't have? Does the 2805 have all of the features you need?

Remote controls: Compare the two. Does the 3805's remote have anything on it that you need to have that the 2805's doesn't have? Or is it just cool?

Difference in price: Consider that if you purchase the 3805 and feel the need for an auto-calibration mic, the difference jumps from $600 to $660.

Value ("Is the 3805 worth the extra $600?"): The question you must ask is, "Is it worth it to me?" You and only you can answer that one. I'll bet there's something else you could spend that money on.

To me, it's not worth the difference. I plan to purchase the 2805 in the next two to three weeks.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Sorry, I forgot you're in Canada. If you need the mic with the 3805, the difference in Canadian dollars would be even more. I figured a $60 jump in U.S. dollars.

Tyler_T.

Grip
yeah the Mic here is $100 I was told so the difference is actually $700 if I get the Mic for the 3805 which I would cause I really like the idea of auto calibration...
And we have 15% sales tax so theres another $100 tax on the $700 so it really comes to $800 total difference...
But I might be able to get them to include the Mic if I purchase the unit at it's original retail price... But either way it's still a big difference...

hmmmm

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I was kinda asking the same questions in trying to determine which unit to purchase. I mainly wanted one to play around with being I could (and did) grab one of the refurb units (ended up with the 2805) from ecost.com for $530 shipped (plus $76 for a 3yr transferable warranty).

I e-mailed Jim M. of Denon and questioned the DDSC of the 3805 and a few other features and got this response:

He didn't get too technical but from all the reviews and comments on the forums I gathered that if you are mainly a movie buff then the 2805 will do the trick but if you listen much to music or are more of a critical music listener in addition to movies then the 3805 might be worth the additional doe.

Tyler_T.

Grip
I love the idea of the auto calibration and the 3805 doesn't come with the Mic, it's optional for another $65 USD or $100 CDN!
I'm thinking this is more valuable then a flashy remote control?

Tyler_T.

Grip
I could also look at the yamahas as they are kinda similar???

I am gonna be using this receiver with Athena AS-B2 and AS-B1 speakers and the AS-C1 center...

No idea for a sub yet...

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I agree... I have the MX-700 programmable remote so I could care less about he Denon remote.

I watch more movies than anything else... 99% movies and 1% music... so HDCD does nothing for me and the DAC's I think will make more difference with music than movies.

These reasons and the fact I have a separate amp caused me to choose the 2805.

As far as subs... what is your budget?

You might check out SVS, Velodyne, and HSH... they all have a broad range of subs that are very nice IMO.

Tyler_T.

Grip
actually the EQ in both the 2805 and 3805 are the same...
They are both parametric for auto calibration and graphic for manual calibration...
I got this from the denon website so I dunno what that guy from denon is talking about *shrugs*

I plan on using this probably like 80% HT and 20% music...

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Well I was thinkin' the same thing on the EQ sections... both the same or at least everything I've read indicates they are. I wonder if I've not read all there is to read. I also wonder if you might be able to adjust the parametric in the 3805??? This could be what he is referring to but I'm not sure that can even be done. I should probably try to read the manual on the 3805 but I ain't cause I've already ordered the 2805.

Sounds like to me you'd be good to go with the 2805.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The auto eq on the 2805 and 3805 is identical.

The difference is that the 2805 offers a separate manual eq which is only graphic eq while the 3805's manual eq is parametric. I don't have the knowledge or equipment necessary to even attempt a manual graphic eq let alone parametric.

Tyler_T.

Grip
Wanna hear something interesting?
I was in 2 Denon authorized dealerships yesterday and was told that the 2805 has "Burr Brown Dacs" but Denon doesn't list them in their specs?
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
So, for mostly 2-channel listening on speakers like the Klipsch RF-35's or RF-7's, would I be better off with the 2805 or 3805?

Tyler_T.

Grip
This is what I have found...

The 2805 is a better deal especially here in Canada where the price difference is $600 CDN and $700 if you buy the optional Mic for the 3805...

In the U.S. however the price difference only seems to be about $200 thats not bad... little more with the Mic...

The differences though arn't worth the money for the 3805 IMHO...
The 2805 is 100 watts per channel as opposed to 120 watts but "IF" you need more power down the road you can add an amp...
The 3805 comes with HDCD which is almost useless as it is but if you really want it you can always buy a CD player with HDCD decoding built into it...

My point is that the 2805 doesn't come with a facy remote control but does come with the much useful auto calibrating Mic... and most of the minor things that the 3805 has over the 2805 can be had in other ways, so it doesn't mean that your gonna miss out...
If you really want HDCD later like I said just buy a CD player with HDCD decoding...

The 3805 has Denon link which right now doesn't work because they havn't been approved yet and when and if it does it's only good for hooking up to say a high end Denon DVD player and such...

Bang for buck my money is on the 2805 with 90% if not 95% of the performance, features and bells and whistles... I think it's hard to beat... IMHO

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Here in the U.S. the difference in price between the two is a little more than $200. The MSRP for the 3805 is $1,199.00 and the MSRP for the 2805 is $899. If you factor in the mic for the 3805, there's about a $360.00 difference.

Regarding the power, I think the 20 watts per channel difference is negligible.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
Buy the best receiver you can afford, if you can afford the 3805, get it and you won't be second guessing yourself.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Well, despite the fact I'm 19, I can 'afford' a 5805 - but that would be foolish. I need to draw the line, and the 3805 is certainly that, and if I can get away with the 2805, thats more money towards something else like speakers or a Brembo big brake kit.

Users who are viewing this thread