What's new

Nikon D100 or D1x? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I am going to be in the market for a digital slr soon and I was wondering why one would choose a D1x over a D100 when the D100 has more resolution (6.1 vs 5.1 megapixels)?

I will be using it primarily for wedding photography.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The D100 is a year newer, though that one is over two years old. Look into the Nikon D70... or the Canon 10D.

There is much more to a DSLR than resolution. Sensor noise is as important (or even more important) than resolution. Newer models tend to have better, cleaner sensors.

If you plan to buy a lot of lenses in the future, read up on the lenses available for each make.

You can find detailed reviews of every major digital camera on the market at:
http://www.dpreview.com

-Scott

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here are some other good places to check out in addition to dpreview.com:

http://www.bythom.com/

Thom Hogan seems to be a recognized authority (of sorts) on Nikon DSLRs.

http://www.nikondigital.org/

If nothing else, Moose Peterson's article on Nikon white balance would be helpful at the 2nd link although he doesn't go into manual/custom WB at all (and might not even shoot RAW).

And yes, MP count isn't everything. The 1/2-year-old flagship D2H is only 4MP(!), not that I'm suggesting you get one. If you can wait til Fall/Winter, you might want to wait and see what happens at Photokina. Canon is expected to come out w/ a 10D replacement, and Nikon is also expected to come out w/ a D100 replacement and/or a D2X (w/ substantially higher MP count than D2H to compete against Canon's 1D Mk2).

If you do consider the D70, you should know that there's no vertical grip for it nor cable release -- although there is a remote that's been impossible to find. Some people have started using universal remotes since the official remote is so hard to find, but you probably wouldn't want to go that route for wedding photography -- would probably look too tacky. Also, the D70 does not offer mirror lock-up/pre-fire although you probably don't need that for wedding photography.

Finally, as I understand it, the pro models, ie. D1 and D2 series instead of D70/D100, are generally designed w/ better AF system, more robust (and heavier) body, etc. Most of those things may not matter much to you for wedding photography since they seem to be designed more for PJ type work.

Oh, one more. You may want to consider the Fuji S2 Pro and upcoming S3 Pro. They should be fairly similar to the D100 in terms of handling and such since they borrow from a similar Nikon design (F80/N80 IIRC) although the S2 Pro does have a few quirks as I understand it, eg. needing 2 separate batteries. Still, the S2 Pro is generally considered the best DSLR in this class for image quality, if not handling and feature set. And it uses Nikon's F mount, so would use pretty much all the Nikon glass that the other Nikon DSLRs use. Same goes for D-TTL flash -- newer Nikon DSLRs (ie. D70, D2H) are using i-TTL flash now. You can find out more about it at the various sites already listed so far.

_Man_

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

As the others have intimated, I would eliminate the D100 from consideration -- the less expensive D70 does everything better. I would like to see Nikon come out with a vertical grip for it, though. I wonder why they haven't yet.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Thanks guys, I just read an article on the D70 vs D100 vs D1x, and I was blown away by the feature set of the D70. It looks like it has all of the features and quality that I would be looking for and at a very attractive price.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I recently bought a D-70 and I love it. Now I don't profess to be a great photographer and some of its features are a bit over my head but I do think it is right on the cusp between pro and consumer. Most of the reviews comparing it to the D-100 show that it is very competitive and that the D-70 has features the D-100 does not have.

Users who are viewing this thread