What's new

Panasonic PT47WX54 and 53WX54 (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have opinions on the Panasonic PT47X54 and 53X54? Are they like the new version of last years models? I'm seriously looking at these. Any comments or other models I should look at? I play TONS of videogame, watch alot of 4:3 TV and watch alot of movies.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Right now I'm stuck between the one posted above and the Sony KP46WT510. The 53'' inch is only 100 bucks more so perhaps I'm missing something but it looks like the better of the two. Can anyone tell me the major differences between the two other than the PAnny being bigger?
THanks

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I think you got the current models wrong. I did the same mistake :).

It's PT47X54 and PT53X54.

I have the PT47X54 for exactly a month now and its much better than the previous models. I use to have the pt47wx42 and the new model performs much better in every way.

The set shines in HD and DVD's. I calibrate it using Avia and the picture is stunning.

The front panel control is funky, with the toggle wheel and all, but that is a oversight and we all use the remote anyway.

The set has HDMI, if you are looking for that.

I mainly watch DVD's, HD, and SD in stretch mode.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I am very happy with this set.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
How are the stretch modes? I basically play a ton of games, and watch alot of DVD's and regular cable. I'm worried about it not accepting 720P as well.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I watch everything in stretch modes for regular cable. "Just" mode is pretty good. I don't see a difference, because you get use to it.

All video games nowadays, support widescreen (16:9) and it looks beautiful.

There is a current thread going on this forum on 720p. ("Will I miss not having 720p ?")

You should read it and decide.

I don't miss of not having 720p.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Right now I as really conisdering getting the 47x54 jsut cause of the price. Now that some of you have owned it for a while I was hoping that you could give me your total impressions on it? Please also state all it's downfalls as well.
Thanks

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
As I said before, the set really looks good after calibrating with Avia. I am going to have it ISF calibrated soon by Gregg.

The only downfall is the anti glare screen. It's okay, but it annoys me at times because it's like a huge mirror.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
One thing I noticed bout this TV is that the Prgressive acceptance is 540p. Now what happens if the signal from something like my Xbox or DVd player which is 480p?
Thanks

StephenHa

Second Unit
they look fine with xbox (I've hooked up 4 or 5 of them that way) they are nice sets we have sold quite a few, the only complaint I've had was from someone who went from antennae to digital cable and the picture got worse (turned out to be the cable was just that bad)

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am looking at Panny RPTVs as well.

Couple of points: there IS a PT53WX54. I saw it today at Best Buy (in Canada). It has a base that is skinnier than the width of the screen, which I think means it is a renumbered version of last year's model. Don't know if there are any differences between it and the last year's model, but its not even listed on the Panny site. Here's a link to it at some online place:
PT-53WX54

I have seen the PT53X54 mentioned here but noticed there is also a PT53TW54 which appears to be a step above the PT53X54. Does anyone know if the differences are worth the extra money?

From the Panny Canada site:

PT-53X54: Digital HD Shortwing Lens System
PT-53TW54 Digital HD Short Throw Lens System
Shortwing vs Short Throw. Whats the diff?

There are also some audio differences (but who cares) and the TW54 weighs a hefty 220lbs vs a slender 153lbs for the X54.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the PT47WX54 sold at Walmart. I don't think it is the same as the PT47X54. Can anyone confirm?

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
As I said in my post, the WX54 seems to be a rebadging of last year's model. The base is narrower than the screen section. I don't know if any new features werer added, or if it is just an attempt to get rid of old stock. Both the X and TW have bases as wide as their screens.

StephenHa

Second Unit
the wx is the regular line model (yes with the narrow base) the x is a different line up (at least from what I have found from my rep)

Chris Storey

Auditioning
So this is all sorta confusing... Oh well.

I too am interested in the PT47X54, which is on sale in Canada here at Best Buy for ~1350$US and it comes with a free HD receiver from Starchoice or Bell. Is this a good TV for the buck? The sale ends tomorrow and I'm getting panic-y. I think I want this TV, but am worried that it may be a little 'to' cheap for its size. But some people here seem to say it's pretty good for games and such, but does anyone have any input really as to whether I should get something else or not? Also, what is this Avia and where can you get it? Thanks for any help anyone gives.

--Chris

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
There are many of us here that owns the 47" Panasonic. I currently own the most recent model (x54). I've also owned the previous model (wx42). From what I can see, the wx54 that is offered at Walmart is just a rebadge model from the previous years, wx53. wx49 - wx53 are pretty much the same tv. The wx53 has dvi and other stuff, but the chassis are still the same. wx54 that is sold at Walmart looks like the wx53 series. Walmart probably got them cheap.

Panasonic changed the chassis on this year models, x54 series. It also has HDMI which the wx53 doesn't.

One Call has pt47wx54 for $1399. They also have pt47wx53 on clearance for $1097.

I would buy the most recent model that is out there right now. The price saving is not worth it because you will have this tv for years and longer. Unless you don't like the new chassis, you should get the most recent model.

Panny 47" is very popular HDTV. Just do a search here and you will find many posts.

pt47x54 is a great set. It looks great and that is the history of Panny 47 series. x54 looks much better then my previous wx42.

If you are looking for paying less, Akia has a 47" set out that sells for $899 at Costco. I think Costco is having a special now, with coupon, the Akia sells for $850!!!

As technology becomes better and as more consumers buy HDTV's the prices will drop.

RPTV is the best bang for the buck.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the Best Buy promo too. I am looking for the 53" version, but that HD receiver deal is mighty tempting.

My BB didn't have the 53" models in yet, so I am going to hold off and hope they put on a similar promo for it.

I spent some time messing with the TV to "optimize" the settings (turn off the damn Vivid setting) and play with the convergence. I couldn't get the convergence set quite the way I wanted it, i.e. I could see a bit of blue and red "blooming" around the + even when thing was as well lined up as I could get it. What else is tweakworthy on this TV? I am happy to spend a lot fo time setting it up well, but want to know that it has that potential.

When I checked out the Hitachi 51F500 it had an amazing convergence tool, looked like a 9 x 9 or 10 x 10 grid.

I am very undecided between the Hitachi 51F500 and the Panny PT-53X54. I looked at other brands and think its down to these too.

Subjective question, but "how much" improvement can you do on the Panny based on its out of the box settings. When messing, I did the convergence, set it to Theater mode and then dialed down some of the picture controls (like sharpness). It looked good (in the big bix store) but SD still looks like crap.

This is my biggest dilemna with buying anything but a direct view CRT, SD looks so bad and right now the majority of watching we do is SD. How much can you improve the look of SD. I know that "evenetually" SD will go the way of the dodo, but it seems a long way off to put up with pixelated TV viewing.

Jeez what a long post...

Chris Storey

Auditioning
Wow that's confusing.

Thanks for explaining that Tim.

So basically the order of release goes:

(EDIT: See down one post - I was wrong)

Jerks.

Haha.. oh well.

If anyone cares, this is what I'm looking at.

(Unfortunately I'm not permitted to post links, so if you like, google "Best Buy Canada" then click on flyers and use the postal code T8B 1K9)

But unfortunately that model doesn't have the DVI which is a really big plus for me. On the other side of that coin, I really prefer this one's chassis to the the new one. And then I have to think do I want to spend 750$CDN more for a bit better of a model and the DVI (750 because I wouldn't get the free HD set and would have to buy one, and the slight price increase)

Oh the woes of my life. Haha.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--Chris

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
You have me confused now...

Here is Panny's release order:

wx49, wx42, wx53 and x54.

I'm sure that I missed few other models in between, but the x54 is the newest one. I'm not going to talk about wx54 because it gets confusing. wx54/wx53 are the same tv, from what I can tell. wx53 was last year model with the narrow chassis.

x54 series has HDMI. HDMI can also do DVI. Try google HDMI and you will get the info that you need. Sorry, I don't want to confuse you even more.

I don't know anything about Canadian money, so I can't tell you if its worth 750$con.

SD channels will always look like crap. If you are only going to watch standard def channels and no HD or DVD's, you are better off buying a direct view set.

Maybe one of the ISF calibrators on this forum can reply to this thread on the potential of this set.

Chris Storey

Auditioning
Oh wow my brain hurts.

Ok, sorry if I confused anyone, I'll edit that post in a sec to get rid of that.

So as per your suggestion, I now see that they sell DVI>HDMI adapters. You have no idea how happy that has made me. This has now become the ideal TV for me. Thank you "oh" so much. I wanted that because I want to hook up my PC to the TV. I've done it on my parents 50" DLP HD Widescreen Samsung (recommend highly if anyone cares) and it looked absolutely amazing. Along with my other adapter to get the sound coming out of my speaker set, I now am one ridiculously happy teenage guy.

You rock.

EDIT: just a sidenote then for ya: ~1.50 CDN$ = 1.00 US$

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks