What's new

Speaker cloning... What's the most impressive project you've seen? (1 Viewer)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Just wondering, cause I was flipping through an old HT mag and came across an ad for the CAT Sequoia. That is one BIG speaker. The only picture I could find online is HERE. But I think they would make a pretty impressive cloning project. I saw them and couldn't help wondering... what drivers to use, how to cross over, if you'd need a full 1 1/2" MDF for all of it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had seen/done these, or what other monsters have been done.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Gee I bet if you looked in my sig you might find info about kloning.

Also if you go to THIS LINK you'll find info on the drivers used in the current CAT systems.

It took all of 2 minutes using google to find the link. A more in depth search will probably turn up reviews, those usually have more specific info about the systems.

Edit to add links
http://www.exquisiteaudio.ca/
http://audioclone.free.fr

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
The most impressive clone I've seen are the Classic Audio Reproduction's remake of the JBL Hartsfield, an all horn loaded speaker, made using refurbed drivers, proper wood/veneer, etc., from original plans and B/M list. They went into business, offering them at $25K, but since their link's dead I assume it didn't pan out.

TW's klones are right impressive too. ;) I wish I had his patience. I keep telling myself I will eventually do a clone of Altec's early '50s Blond Oak 820 cornerhorn, a stunning performer loaded with dual 15" midbass horn drivers and 800Hz multi-cell horn, but it will probably remain a 'pipe dream'.

GM

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
There's a site out there with a guy's "clone" of a JMLab Grande Utopia, I think it was...it was "quite nice" ;)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Who were those fellows that cloned the Legacy Whisper? I used to get e-mail updates from them, but I haven't for a very long time.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Thomas, those Utopia clones are very impressive. I've been to the K.L.O.N.E. site many times, originally from one of your links I'm sure, and that is where I fell in love with the 12 Shivas Dancing. The Legacy's are gorgeous too. Incredible job on those.

The Arvo Ultra is another great looking speaker. This is the kind of thing I was looking for, I just wanted to see what was out there, and who was doing some really big projects.

Actually I just found another one that I had been trying to remember, the B&W Nautilus clone and guess who was all over that one too... ThomasW! I think you might be the official king kloner!

Again, I just had a craving to see some really big projects and big speakers. Speaking of which... Brett, where are you with your big line array project!??

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
What about dream projects that haven't been done, but anyone is planning/thinking/drooling over?

I don't know why, but I've been on a big speaker kick lately.

How about those Revel speakers that a lot of critics hailed as the best speaker ever (I think it was the Gem that people loved so much). Just another random thought.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Basically both Jon and I have finished our kloning years. It was an interesting learning experience and served it's purpose.

Now the goal is to take the knowledge learned from those experiments, apply it to our own designs as see what develops ..... ;)

As for kloning the Revels, it's impossible to get the drivers unless one steals them from the factory. :eek:

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
So thomasW, do you have links to any of your current projects? I know you are very well versed in a wide array of speaker design and have done it since Hawaii was a teritory. would like to hear some of your new projects. do you ever go to diy events?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks