What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

Studio: Lions Gate
Year: 2004
Rated: NR
Film Length: 61 minutes
Aspect Ratio: Standard (4:3)
Audio: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English
Retail Price: $19.95

Late night talk show host Conan O’Brien has become a cult item over the past ten years usually by delivering over the top and sometimes foul humor, which is something not seen on the likes of Jay Leno or David Letterman. O’Brien featured all sorts of teenage humor but the king of this is Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, which has been everywhere from American Idol to the MTV Video Music Awards. On August 10th, Lions Gate brings a collection of greatest hits to DVD.

Running just over sixty-minutes in length this special edition DVD features some of the all-time favorite moments from the television show. Things start off on a nice note as Triumph visits the Westminster Dog Show where he’s able to tell us the truth about what goes on behind the scenes. Most of this consists of butt sniffing and leg humping but Triumph is there from start to finish. After this guest shot Triumph goes the next step in his celebrity by appearing on Hollywood Squares with hilarious results. Not only does Triumph explain why cats should be shaved over dogs but he also finds time to insult Al Roker as well as hump Whoopi Goldburg’s hair.

Now with some cash in his pockets Triumph heads to New Jersey for a Bon Jovi concert but he can’t understand why so many losers has showed up for a bad rock group. Triumph investigates through all the fans as well as interviews the band. The best moment happens when he tells Bon Jovi that he’s a good actor because he’s been acting as a rock star for over a decade. After this segment we head back for a second dose from the Westminster Dog Show where more butts are sniffed as well as more legs being humped. The next segment is probably the best moment in the career of Triumph and as well one of the funniest moments in talk show history.

Triumph visits the Star Wars: Attack of the Clones movie line where die-hards fans have been waiting outside for weeks. If you’re one of these die-hard fans then you’ll probably want to skip this segment because the nicest thing he calls you is a nerd. Everything else is below the belt and contains some of the most insulting moments you could possibly imagine. I watched this segment when it originally aired and have seen a few repeats but it keeps getting funnier each time I see it. Next up is the controversial MTV Video Music Awards where Triumph is picking on Moby only to get into a fight with rap star Eminem. Also included is the press conference where Triumph gets to throw a few more insults. Finally we get a segment on Quebec where Triumph insists that Canadians are stupid.

The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog will surely please fans but one wishes it would have ran a little bit longer. Most comedians try their best to throw minor insults that won’t offend anyone but that’s not the case with this talented dog who goes all out and doesn’t care if people get mad or start crying. The Star Wars segment is clearly a classic moment in television and the rest aren’t too bad either. Fans of the dog will certainly want to add this to their collection and those interested in low-brow humor will probably enjoy this as well.

VIDEO---The video is shown in its Standard (4:3) ratio, which is correct. Having seen most of these clips on television there really isn’t much of a difference on the DVD. The picture quality looks about what you’d expect to see on basic cable and there doesn’t seem to be any transfer problems bringing this to DVD. The only slight problem I noticed was during the first Westminster segment where a couple white speckles appear on the screen. Other than that everything appears fine with fine colors (except O’Brien’s face, which is always pale) and decent blacks. The segments differ in appearance but this is probably due to the shows budget being different as the series went on. There’s no dirt to be spotted and no digital artifacts either. I doubt any of these went through a remastering job but you shouldn’t be disappointed here.

AUDIO---The Dolby Digital Stereo track is just fine and like the video quality is really doesn’t appear any worse or better than what you’re used to seeing on the broadcasts. Again, nothing appears to have been cleaned up but it really wasn’t necessary considering these clips are all fairly recent. The sound is crystal clear throughout the film without any hiss, scratches or jumps.

EXTRAS---Lions Gate has offered up some very nice special features, which is nice considering many of these type of collections come with zero. Up first is a section called Extra Poop, which is broken down into three sections. Triumph at Home is the first section, which has three sections of its own, which can be viewed one at a time or together with the play all option. First up is a five minute clip from the International Dog Show where Triumph is up to this usual tricks interviewing owners and humping their dogs. A ten minute Guest Insult Montage features the dog insulting various celebrities including Jon Tesh, Jerry Springer and William Shatner. Finally we get the eleven minute Pets.com press conference, which is a pretty stupid and boring segment. This is when Conan accused Pets.com of stealing their image from Triumph but this joke went nowhere and the press conference really isn’t worth watching. Triumph on Location has another four segments, which too can be viewed one by one or together with the play all option. In this section Triumph heads out on the road including a sixteen minute segment with the American Idol Hawaiian tryouts, which are very funny and come close to the Star Wars episode. Up next is a five minute clip from the 2001 Video Music Awards, which features the Olsen Twins among other celebrities. Next is an eight minute clip of Triumph going to Hollywood and taking people on a tour of celebrity houses. Finally we get a third stint at the Westminster Dog Show, which is nice but not one of the funniest out there.

Triumph Productions has three sections but none of these are too funny. Up first is the five minute clip, A Couple of Mutts: Conan/Triumph Sitcom, which is a decent takeoff on The Odd Couple. The four minute Triumph Christmas Special features the dog at home with his family and trying to send off a family like message. 8 Nipples is a spoof of the film 8 Mile and tells the story of the early like of Triumph. Up next are fourteen minutes worth of outtakes from the Bon Jovi, Star Wars, Canada and American Idol segments. Some of these contain new scenes while some of the scenes are just extended versions that didn’t make the final cut. Once again, the Star Wars segment comes off the best. Finally we get two music videos, one being “I Keed” and the other “Come Poop With Me”.

OVERALL---Fans of the dog will certainly want to add this disc to their collection even with the short running time. Lions Gate has offered some nice extras, although you can’t help but wish a commentary track of some sort would have been added. I’m sure Triumph would have had fun insulting himself as well as those paying money to watch him on DVD.

Release Date: August 10, 2004

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks for the review. This is worth the money just for the Star Wars segment, which truly is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I was laughing so hard I had tears running down my cheeks.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator

He was actually making fun more of Quebecers in general and he seemed to cause quite an uproar in the Quebec community, was still funny tho.. the best is when he says "I know some french. Stuff like bonjour and I surrender"

I will be picking this one up for sure and its $13 on amazon.ca

I think the star wars scetch is one of the best peices of comedy I have ever seen.

I dont mind no commentary as I hate them anyway but With no video remastering... and the size of a DVD, they could of Easily made this EVERY single triumph sketch instead of just a best of collection.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I agree. I'm not the biggest Triumph fan, but the Star Wars segment is truly one of the funniest and most brilliant bits EVER.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Seems like a great DVD............FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!! I keed, I keed! I can't wait to get this!:D

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I can't believe this actually got a HTF review. :emoji_thumbsup:
I've got mine preordered as well, together with the Late Night 10th Anniversary Special. Great to see that you get a solid disc for a cheap price, and while the main feature is rather short the extras section seems pretty comprehensive.

Chris

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I always a little confused about the history of Triumph. Is he a Conan show creation or was he doing his own thing and Conan adopted him? I am definitely buying this one.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
He was a Conan show creation and he was part of a sketch with a bunch of different dogs with stupid names that had jobs. That's why he's called "Triumph", because it's such a stupid name that no person would ever have it, they would only give it to a dog. I don't remember the other dogs names or jobs, but Triumph undeniably stole the show and he's still enormously popular, years later.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am going to poop on this DVD too!

I have watched all these segments via the
Conan website and have laughed my ass off at
every one of them!

Funny, funny stuff. Most anticipated DVD
this month.

Will K

Screenwriter
Regarding the Star Wars bits, I recall an insult to a fan: "Here's a prophecy for you. You will die alone." Is that one on there? It had me rolling.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wadda you know....

A screener just arrived at my door. I'm sitting here
poopin' in my pants!

What's really cool about the STAR WARS bit (it is the
first one I watched), it seems to be a far longer
version than what has been circulating on the net.

And yes....that prophecy line is in there.

(Which button do you push to alert your parents to
pick you up?)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I can't claim to be a big Bon Jovi fan, but they deserve props for being such good sports. Triumph verbally obliterates those guys.

The versions on the Conan website are far shorter than what originally aired. I'd say the Star Wars one is three times longer than the version on the website, same with Bon Jovi.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

This is the funniest sh*t I have seen in a long time.

Most of these segments I have only seen in abreviated
segments on the Internet. To see them now fully uncut
has been the absolute highlight of my evening.

Go out and buy this DVD!

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot about this DVD. Thanks for the review! I have added it to my Amazon wish list. :)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
As funny as this sounds, it just can't truly be a "best of" collection without the Pets.com lawsuit press conference!

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks