What's new

Woe is me, new to the world of projector warranties! (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
Im looking into purchasing the infocus 4805, there are some things that stand in the way..

1. I'm a part time worker making a little above minimum wage.

2. I'm a poor college student with a fascination in expensive home theater.

3. I have a credit card with limited funds.

now my predicament, I am looking for good prices for the 4805.

TV authority has a great sale, ie $1399, BUT i live in california, so i get taxed 8.25% and charged for shipping, final costs far exceeds the land of $1500 and enters the unreachable $1600 price:frowning:

next!

crutchfield, no tax, free shipping.. but full msrp.. hrm.. interesting. $1500.. is it worth maxing out my card for one purchase?

moving on

avcountry, looks good, says i need to call for pricing over the phone, I call them up a couple of times, a lady picks up right away, as if it were a home phone, I ask for the pricing of the 4805... i get switched over to some other persons voicemail saying i have to leave my info and wait for him to call me back.. hrm.. i feel uncomfortable with this unproffesional experience. "click"... call back again a few days later, maybe better luck this time...a man answers and tells me that guy with the price isnt there, and to leave a number for him to call me back.. This time the call scares me out of buying anything from them. Sounds too shadey to me..

next...

the wonderful world of EBAY!!!! i find it for $1400 shipped! best price ive seen.. the auction says full factory warranty... I look at it and send an email to the seller asking how the heck is it fully covered unless he was an authorized vendor... im still waiting for a reply.
This is the best price ive found the unit for, Its either this ebay guy or Crutchfield for $100 more. I assume crutchfield is definately an authrorized vendor.. but using them will max out my credit, which scares me..

anyone else have any recommendations? Should I go for EBAY? the seller has good feedback and has already sold multple units.. so I assume his stuff is legit. And i think this projector is too new to have b-stock refurbs..

Anyone else know a good place to get this projector below $1500 shipped?

thanks a bunch!

David K.

Second Unit
oops wrong forum! I dont know how to move it,

Mr. Moderator, Would you be so kind as to move this to the display forum?

I am very sorry about this :frowning:

(Admin note - not a problem!)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
How about lower your hopes and getting an Infocus X1 or Benq PB6100?

Why do you need to max out you credit card for the 4805?

B

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No way I'd go E-bay or any other source you're not sure of to save $100 on such a purchase. Crutchfield is authorized and they have a 30-day hassle-free return policy with free return shipping. I've had only good experiences with their customer service.

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
I'd agree, I think you could get just as good performance for a bit less of a price. And you could put that money towards a good DIY screen (gotta have something DIY right?).

Daffy Arthur King
with the brain of a duck

David K.

Second Unit
because from the research ive done here on this forum, the picture quality of the 4805 kills the x1, and the upgrade in color wheel speed is a big plus.

I can see rainbows, but i can also tolerate them to an extent, I have never seen an x1 in action, but from what ive read the RBE is a huge problem for those that can see them. And people prone to RBE seem to enjoy the 4805 immensely, while the x1 bothers them. whether its $1000 for the x1 or $1500 for the 4805, both would be big investments for a college student like me.

imo, ive had bad experiences with opting for lower end equipment to save cash. I always end up regretting the purchase and wasting my money. This time itll be an investment for me, and I dont want to spend 1k for a projector and realize that I cant bare to watch it.

RBE is a big factor, I was also looking into the sanyo z1, but all signs point to the 4805 as the superior projector.

Crutchfield looks like a good place.
Anyone have a list of infocus authorized sellers? I cant find it on the infocus site.

sanyo z1 looks interesting, but there seems to be a lot of complaints with this projector, but visual apex offers a killer combo deal with a lamp for a little over 1k shipped.

but after reading the fine print, visual apex seems to engage in the practice of reselling returned items as new. Which scares me, since LCD projectors are easily prone to dust blobs and I dont want an LCD project that has defficiencies right out of the box because it was a return. There seems to be some quality control issues with the sanyo z1, out of all the reviews ive read theres usually something wrong with the fan, overheating and warranty services, which spooks me.

David K.

Second Unit
I did some calling around and found an authorized reseller that will sell me the projector for $1299 shipped ups ground! But I don't think I'm allowed to name name's but it was from a definate authrozied reseller!

im so happy, But the sales person told me he has to do the transaction over the phone, and he got my name and number and everything. its from a reputable site, Should i trust him? Is this normal for lower price quotes given for transactions over the phone?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The 4805 is certainly worth the extra investment over the X1. I'd contact InFocus to find out if your dealer is a "definite authorized reseller". If so...go for it.
As far as a screen, I find the picture amazing on a piece of "blackout cloth" from a fabric store. Cheap!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Putting it on a credit card means you don't have the money. I did think for many years and am only now starting to see the light.

I'm 36!

Talk to our new sponsere and see if he can amtch your best price!

B
I have the 6100, and the ONLY thing I feel I may be lacking is the native widescreen, but that's me!

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat as you. Poor college student and want one myself. However I've done much research and think I may go with the Sanyo Z1 or Z2, if I were you I wouldn't max out your card already. I'm gonna pay cash so I don't have those payment worries but it's a huge investment and if I were you I'd consider what I'm doing, sacrificing a little now when down the line you can do so much better for much less with newer technology.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick question: Have you added up what this projector is going to cost you when you add the interest in? If you really don't have the money, and you won't have it anytime soon, you could easily end up spending a lot of money on it. For instance, if your card is 15% interest (common for college students) you could pay almost $200 per year in interest. Sorry for the rant, but coming from a fellow college student, I know that debt can get out of control pretty quickly.

It looks as though this is almost a done deal though, so good luck with it.

David K.

Second Unit
ya i took interest into consideration, thanks for your input though! I'll have it paid off in less then 3 months if i decide to purchase it.

David K.

Second Unit

I thought i'd give it a try and called a "sponsor" to help support this forum, but unfortunately they were unable to meet the price, mainly due to CA taxes. which would add an additional $100+ to the overall costs :frowning:.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Why not save the money for 3 months, prices may come
down, & you can pay CASH for it.

I know, I know, you want it NOW, right.....:D

David K.

Second Unit
it was my birthday, and I may sound silly but, "The Passion of the Christ" comes out on dvd Aug 31st and I want to be sure I have a Big screen projector up when i play the dvd .

Also I have another noob question, S-video will turn on the 4805's faroudja correct? But i here this talk about pin numbers? the average s-video plug uses 4 pins? but do i need some kinf of special s-video plug that has 6-8 pins or something to enable faroudja? or will any s-video cable work?

sorry for the dumb questions. Im currently looking for some affordable s-video cables that can run 35' in length. there are a lot of crappy ones on ebay, but I want a good one, im willing to spend $150 for a good 35' cable for the projector.

Blue jeans has some for less then $100, but i want the fancy stuff with braided sleeving :)

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Have you considered DIY?

A DIY projector is not only much cheaper initially, but cheaper to run because they can use stock standard off the shelf globes which are infinitely cheaper!

Are you sure you REALLY want to max out your credit card over this thing? If you don't have the money to buy it without relying on credit, perhaps you should wait ... delayed gratification is more satisfying in the end.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No one is more pro-DIY than I, but is it possible to DIY a projector anywhere close to the performance of the 4805?

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could do a DIY as well, however I don't trust myself to do a good job. As for the interest, you need to be careful on that, don't get into debt unless you are possitive you can do it. Although I am waiting for THE PASSION to come out as well and can't wait to see it on my FP so I can't blame ya. Gonna have a group of friends and family come watch it the day it's out. Although I've seen it once and it's so convicting it's hard to see again.

But anyways, do what you feel comfortable doing, if you really want the 4805 and are 100% sure you can afford it go for it. If not, look at the Sanyo Z1 and Z2's which are great as well. There's also the Infocus 4800 which I've heard isn't bad(might be along the lines of the X1 but I dunno). Anyways, good luck and I hope you make the best choice for your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks