-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HELP: RCA's Repair Record On Tube Sets?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 01:13 PM

The reason I'm asking is because a friend wants to buy a 27 Inch RCA 27F650T & put it in the family room for his kids. The reason he wants the RCA is because it's the only set that has 4 Inputs & each Input has it's own Picture Settings & he wants to be able to adjust everything & then give the kids & their babysitter's a "Simple" Remote to use so they can't mess with any of the adjustments. The only thing that scares him (& me) about the RCA is their poor repair record. RCA now has a 1 year Labor Warranty compared to the old 90 day Warranty so I was wondering if their Quality Control has gotten any better? I'm not looking for any info on the old sets just the newer ones, Thanks.

#2 of 10 Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 04:29 AM

In my personal experience with retail electronics sales.........NO it is not any better. Posted Image
Still A LD and Vinyl FAN !!

#3 of 10 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:43 AM

Your friend may be better off buying a TV from a manfacturer with a good reliability record instead of a repair record. Repairs are always hit and miss, so a TV that doesn't break in the first place is always a better bet.

Personally I'd look at Panasonic and Samsung direct-view CRT sets...they are the most reliable (according to my sister who is a manager of a Best Buy).
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#4 of 10 Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 03:51 PM

Yes but Consumer Reports is based on past models & doesn't include most of the newer models. Thanks guys & I'm going to tell him it's a crap shoot & it's up to him if he wants to go with RCA or buy an Extended Warranty. Myself I would opt for the the JVC AV-27F475 which is what I told him to go look at in the first place.

#5 of 10 StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 08:37 AM

consumer reports repair records have nothing to do with sets sold, they send out surveys asking readers what was repaired, they have the worst method of rating out there. The rca sets don't fail regularly they just sell a ton of tv's, there is also a difference in sets they have a few lines the cheap sets you find on sale all the time the mid line, and the scenium (which seems to be pretty good from teh feedback I get )
last time I checked the repair ratio (number repaired compared to sold under warranty) the best was panasonic, the worst was zenith rca fell in the middle

#6 of 10 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 05:59 AM

Oops that's right, Sanyo was the more reliable brand, not the Samsung. I don't think Best Buy (here in Canada) carries very many Sanyo products, and now that I think about it, my sister only mentioned Panasonic as reliable, nothing else.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#7 of 10 StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 09:14 AM

I no statistics expert, but I would hope that CR would base their stats on a ratio of sets sold:problems reported. In other words, even if one brand out-sold another brand 10:1, they could still figure out reliability based on problems per 100 units sold. Does that not work? Isn't that how they (CR, JD Power, etc.) figure out vehicle reliability? Would anyone argue that while there are more Toyota's and Honda's sold than Daewoo's, Hyundai's and Kia's, Toyota and Honda still top the reliabiltiy stats?

they base it on perceived reliability also, they don't ask for any stats from manufacturers, they try to keep from asking for things so they can say they are unbiased. My favorite was when they tested 4 cars 2 japanese 2 american, each japanese car had 8 or 10 defects the american ones had none, but the average reliability for the japanese was better than average, the american was lower than average (toyota's president said a year or so ago the american companies now had the edge in reliability since japan was going for style) to get acurate reliability info use many sources not just one

#8 of 10 Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted July 29 2004 - 03:31 AM

So would you guys give the RCA a shot & would you buy an extended warranty? My thought is go get the JVC made in the same plant as the Panasonic's & don't be so picky about the Video Quality on the Inputs for the Kids Posted Image

#9 of 10 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted July 29 2004 - 06:01 AM

I find that the Panasonics have much better out of the box PQ than the JVCs. But then, I've never seen a JVC TV I liked...they always looked awful to me. Maybe that is why they are so inexpensive?

Gamesh....

#10 of 10 StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 29 2004 - 12:56 PM

I'd go with the rca, they aren't bad, and can usually be had a little cheaper