Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need recommendations for hard drive recovery service

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 08:24 AM

My hard drive has died and I'm looking for someone/a company that can get the data off of it without charging me my first born child as payment. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 09:39 AM

Strong Recommend for Advanced Data Recovery. Very professional, quick, and accurate. It's costly, but they are one of the best.. in years of searching for different people, they've managed to recover things that I thought were long gone.. like a damaged RAID5 in a healthcare facility Posted Image

http://www.adv-data.com/
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 04:43 PM

Check out the software available at www.runtime.org. I've never used it, but it looks good. It costs about $70 and claims to be able to recover after formatting, virus attack, etc. I think it's worth it as most data recovery services would probably run you close to $1000.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I should mention that the hard drive has died, so recovery software isn't going to fix my problem.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   David Broome

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 07:41 AM

Have you tried turning it over? I have had a friend or two that was able to (slowly) get data off a dead drive just by turning it over. Probably won't work, but you would only be out a little time...

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:29 AM

As in changing the orientation of the computer so that the drive is up side down?
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   David Broome

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:36 AM

Yep, though he took the drive off the rails and just turned it over. I don't know why, but he was able to recover some data. Maybe the platters had collapsed and flipping the drive over caused the spindle to reset. Or some other explanationm filled with jargon... Also, what symptoms do you see? It could have been a cable (data or power) gone bad or a cable coming loose. Have you tried hooking up another drive to the same cables and see if it works, or using different cables on the same drive?

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:41 AM

David, I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical failure. Starting 3 days before the drive's death, it started making loud clicking sounds occasionally when data was being saved or accessed. I had a feeling it was going to die, but stupidly did not bother to run an immediate backup.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   David Broome

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:57 AM

Ouch, the click of death. You are probably right, but at the worst you are out 10 minutes of unscrewing the case and turning it over and swapping cables. I haven't used a data recovery service, myself, so I;m afraid I can't offer a suggestion for one. Though I have heard all the good ones are expensive...

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 01:11 PM

We've unfortunately used tons of them. Be careful. A lot of those that advertise in the back of "reputable" magazines are really pretty much shams. If they can't fix it with a circuit board swap (by replacing the PCB on the drive with one of the same brand/model) then they can't do a recovery. The real shops are much harder to find.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users