What's new

Anyone suffering from DIY burnout? (1 Viewer)

I have DIY burnout but not from home theater DIY! I am tired of making furniture for my wife. I am in the middle of making a canopy bed and I find myself putting it off so I can finish my sub! I am not even finished with the sub and I am looking at making new rear speakers myself!
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,
I know I'm getting burnt out! I'm in the process of rebuilding my SV12 subs (they will be stands for my ACI Emeralds) and am sick and tired of painting! It's so freakin' hot and humid in the Atlanta area right now that it seems the paint is never totally dry when I'm ready to put the next coat on! I'm sick of sweating my ass off out in that damn metal building! As soon as I can get electricity run out there I'm going to put a small window unit out there so I can work in comfort! It's not much fun sweating all over your cabinets while you're trying to paint them! I've given up on a totally smooth finish! I've also got to figure out a way to get them in the house without dinging them up or scratching the paint! Got a hand truck I can use?
I'm also about to start building 3 speakers for my Dad and I'm already dreading it!
Brian
------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I think you'd hit the nail on the head. I was mowing/edging my lawn yesterday (not even a hot day) and I was still all sweaty and hot. So maybe I'm just dreading the heat while being outside as I route in the necessary driver holes out of the MDF. :)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Julian Data

Second Unit
I haven't reached that point yet, I have been doing things in "moderation".
Pat, I think the XO testing got you, IMHO.
Robert: I actually have my GF nagging me to build her some furniture and I have yet to say "yes". :)
Brian, using paint as finish is chore and half times two! And when you add the factor of heat and humidity I can see one being a bit fiesty.
Guys,
Remember something, you are not a factory, just keep things in stride as you can compromise the deadline.. that's if you have one. It's a hobby.
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Julian,
I thought using latex paint and a foam roller would be easier than spray paint and for the most part it is. But this method has it's own set of issues as well. The paint goes on thicker and takes longer to dry in this humid weather! You have to clean the roller after each use.
Pat,
Although it was cooler yesterday, it was so humid that I was completely drenched! And then there are the bugs...
Now I remember why I prefer doing these projects in the early spring!
Brian
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Oye! Latex paint.
I have some pity for you guys in GA, man is it humid down there!
frown.gif

------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The bugs! Ack! I stupidly bought an edger/weeder that has the auto-spool-feeder. Well, they forgot to tell people that it works be having the spool feed forward by getting the spool catch on an edge that cuts/pulls the spool forward, well, this is all and good, but it also spins the excess spool bits into your lower legs. I was too hot to go put on some sweatpants, so I got these bloody nicks on near my ankles, and before you know it, the flys are just hovering about my legs due to the blood oozing out from the cuts.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing quite like MDF dust coating your extremities as you route and sweat in the sun.
Pat, maybe you're not burned out on the projects themselves, but on the requisite photography.
wink.gif

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hi patrick,
take a trip to your favorite store....home depot...and grab one of those air movers. not just a fan, but an AIR MOVER! things will be much better, you'll see
wink.gif
ahhh, life is good now!
and to answer the question...i aint burned out. just finished HE15 sub #1 and am starting #2. this thing sounds great. got myself a new table saw and gonna start on some 2 ways soon too. lata

Patrick I sympathize with you on the AFS weed eater thing. I USED to do all of the edging / weedeating barefooted. Now thanks to my new Automatic foot slicer I have to wear shoes to do this stuff. and yes it is hot and humid here in Dallas as well and tonight when I get home from work I get to mow and edge and trim! Oh the joy of suburban life and trying to keep your lawn looking nice.
Also, I have the same problem in Dallas with the heat/humidity. I am staining my wifes new bed and the stain is taking in excess of 8 hours for 1 coat to dry.
Robert
------------------

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
On cleaning rollers after every use w/ latex paint- a cheat I have used when painting day after day is to wrap the roller tightly with saran wrap- two or three layers, and cover up the ends well. It keeps about as well as the paint in the can, at least for wall painting. Might be worth trying. . .
Markd

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Before I almost jumped to the world of DYI speakers and subs, I discovered JBL pro cinema series. There's no turning back now!
The only DYI I did since then was changing the internal wiring and the external and internal connectors with WBT.
Enjoying a kick ass sound is now the rule! Fantastic.
------------------
659_fc-3r_thumb.jpg

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
David, what JBL speakers are you using and how are they for two channel music reproduction? I am considering using JBL pro drivers for my next speaker project.
Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.
------------------
James' DIY speakers

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, you have been a busy bee in the DIY area. I recommend just chilling for a few weeks, then you might start going into DIY withdrawals, and be ready to anxiously dive into the project.
I did the same thing with my new business CATCables.com. Granted, it's different, but when it all gets down to it? I am simply setting up a good DIY setup, as well as the technical web side of being my own webmaster, and of course, developing my own product. Wouldn't take anything for the experiences. But I did get to a point where I just needed to get out and play some golf, work a bit around the house doing things that had went undone because of my immersion into the project. I still haven't gotten back to product development. An area where I definitely want to spend some time.
But to avoid total burnout, I just backed off, and let me first product mature, and develop my reputation based on that, and then in time, I will be chomping at the bit to get back to my DIY business. :)
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: I have it: it's not the MDF dust or the eyeshield/mask/hat that bugs you. It's your finger! Yes, the finger that pushes the shutter release on your camera. Your finger is telling you to slow down it's TIRED!
Seriously, just pace yourself. You don't have to build every possible component in your HT within X number of months. Watch movies and listen to music for a month, then get back to the MDF dust-making part of your hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks