Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need your help ASAP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Nathan-C

Nathan-C

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 05:01 PM

I need all of your guys help. I recently bought some Polk R50 tower speakers and like them alot, however the wife absolutely had a fit at how large they are and that they overpower the room. So I need to take them back. What I need you help with is finding a pair of smaller speakers that will serve as my "front" speakers in a 7.1 setup. I currently have a yamaha rx v 1400, Polk csi20 center and 4 gallo micros as my surrounds. The R50 were to complete the setup. I have seen the Gallo Due' any thoughts. Best of all is their size. Any other smaller speakers you can recommend that come close to the sound of Tower speakers. Also if this helps the breakdown is 70% movies and TV and 30% music, however I do listen to DVD audio and SACDs.

Thanks,
Nathan

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 02:52 AM

Wife wins again!
Absof****lutely incredible!Posted Image
Best regards.

John
Freelance Video Control Engineer

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 03:17 AM

Offer to take the wife back and keep the speakers.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   JohnSmith

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 03:19 AM

STAND YOUR GROUND. Give them a inch and they'll take a mile. In the future she'll probably demand you get rid of the Gallos, and spend the money on her instead.

Tell her this is your hobby- do you impart restrictions on her spending/hobby? I very much doubt it, but she's treating you like a son. Are you the one paying for the bills? If so you've got more leeway then her "demands" Just tell her to go back in the kitchen where she belongs!

I can understand if you bought JBL horns..
http://www.jblpro.com/cinema/5000.htm

but the R50's are quite slimline. You can't get around physics, a small speaker cannot reproduce with authority the same as a tower.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 08:57 AM

Marriage is all about compromises. You only have to give a little to gain a lot. Offer her a trade. Find out what she wants. It works better if you have a little time to work on her and she offers you the trade. You already have the Polks so you have to work fast. She might actually like the Polks and she is working you for some new diamond earrings.

My wife suggested to me “If you paint the living room, you can buy the Rotel thing.”
It took me some time but I did concede to her terms.
Posted Image

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 01:33 AM

Andy_Steb says:
Quote:
Marriage is all about compromises.

Yes indeed. We give, they take!
Best regards.

John

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Nathan-C

Nathan-C

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 02:36 AM

I know, I know! I tried it all, however here's the only bright spot, she said I could spend a lot more than I did for the Polks just to get something smaller. So with that is there anything you guys can recommend.

Thanks,
Nate

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   JohnSmith

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 02:53 AM

Look at high quality standmounts then. M&K 150THX :-D really would buy three of them to match, and really get rid of Gallo Micros that you're using for rears. They're not really sufficient, even for surround FX IMO. M&K SS-55's for rear/surrounds or SS-150 if you're feeling rich.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 03:22 AM

Being you like Polks I would check out the smaller Polks. Whatever you decide on make sure the war department approves before you buy.Posted Image
Best regards.

John

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   DavidCooper

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 03:52 AM

I think your main concern is getting some Polks that are as close a match to your center as possible. I'm not familiar with any Polks so I can't help ya there...but you really should match them up. Your front 3 speakers are VERY important and need to match identically or as close as possible.

As far as the Wife thing goes...sorry to hear that! I always remind my wife that I have a hobby that keeps me at home! That usually makes her feel better about anything new coming home! Plus it's a shared hobby...EVERYONE that comes over can enjoy it.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 07:44 AM

I guess I’m the rare luck one. My wife is all far just about anything I want to do, home-theater wise. She enjoys the great sound as much as I do – her only complaint is that I’ve “spoiled” her. Posted Image

Nathan, with a home theater system there usually isn’t a good reason to go with huge floor-standing speakers. It used to be that was the best way to get good bass, but any serious HT system these days has a separate sub for that. So, John’s advice to get some smaller stand-mounted speakers is right on target.

Really, the only good reason to use big speakers is if you have a large listening area – say, 5-6000 cubic ft. or more. Large rooms tend to “soak” up bass, for lack of a better word, so small speakers might not have enough output in the mid-to-upper bass to blend well with a sub. If you have a smaller room then you should be very happy with some small, high-quality speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Nathan-C

Nathan-C

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:25 AM

What about the M&K K series 7 or 17 or the LCR 135's any thoughts? Plus I cold always go with a differnet center speaker as well That way the speakers match? Let me know thanks.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted July 26 2004 - 08:42 AM

I have also had a good experience with the "Spouse acceptance factor" with my home theater purchases. She has her plants and gardens as a hobby and I have Home Theater.

For main speakers I have Paradigm Monitor 7 towers. They don't take up that much space, espacially when you consider a bookshelf speaker with a stand would take up almost the same amount of space. This is something you might mention to your wife.

As far as bookshelf speakers that could give you the same sound as a tower, I suggest you look at Paradigm Mini-Monitors or the Paradigm Studio 20s.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Dennis Tester

Dennis Tester

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 03:47 AM

Hey Nathan.. I had the same issue with my wife , but I won out in the end .Here is how I explained it to her . If you buy bookshelves you need to get stands . Put the speakers on the stands and they basically are taking up the same space .(Right or wrong ) Keep the towers they will sound much better than the shelves .. If not buy her something ,that always seems to work !!!Posted Image

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   TonyMartt

TonyMartt

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 04:04 AM

Maybe you can do something with the area your speakers are occupying.

How big is the Living Room? How much space between the side wall and rear wall, where your speakers stand?

Does your wife like those tall fake plants they sell? Some of them look very realistic. Sometimes, you can place a pot on each side of the speaker, and it will camoflage the speakers...a bit.

How about a pair of nicely finished (or stained) wood partitions, to shield the speakers from view...when not in use? You can find some nice, sturdy ones. I think some of them can even be fastened down for stability. You can pull them open when you want to use the speakers, and pull them closed (to shield the speakers) when not in use.

Your wife could also decorate around them, to further enhance to look.

Just a few ideas.

Otherwise, say this to her... " Bite Me !!! " "The speakers are staying!!" Posted Image Posted Image

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   TonyMartt

TonyMartt

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 04:35 AM

Here's a little something I wrote on the subject Posted Image

" NO MORE WAF!!

She has complete reign over our bedroom, ...the baby's bedroom, ....the Diningroom, ....both full baths, ....the Kitchen, ....the hallways and the Laundry Room.

I have complete reign over my Home Office, and now the Living Room.

Be forewarned, tis' an arduous battle. The enemy is clever. The enemy is sly. The enemy is fierce.

The enemy will use everything in her arsenal. No weapon is too extreme. No weapon too deadly.

She will fight you on all fronts, even while standing in the check-out, of your local Grocery storePosted Image

The enemy will even pull out the "Ex-Girlfriend" bomb, to assault you.

But fear not, when the enemy resorts to the "Ex-Girlfriend" bomb, she is desperate. She grasps at straws, as she slowly loses her grip of the Battle. When the "Ex-Girlfriend" bomb is unleashed, you know you have won the War.

My Infantry suffered many casualties. Many bombs were fired from both sides, many Direct Hits.

One particular soldier was MIA for almost a month.Posted Image

But in the end, it was my Air-Attack that confused and staggered the enemy.

She laid down her weapons, and retreated. No longer defiant, only a Soldier Of Love

Men, this is a war, that can be won! Stand Up And Fight!

" Did we give up, when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? "

Posted Image

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   JohnSmith

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 05:24 AM

Quote:
" Did we give up, when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? "

I hope that's a joke!

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
I hope that's a joke!

It's a Bluto Blutarsky (John Belushi) line from Animal House.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   TonyMartt

TonyMartt

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 06:54 AM

Umm.....yeah, what Jeff said.

But yeah.....it was all supposed to be a goof.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 08:13 AM

I guess you won't be getting an SVS BP sub then huh?

Actually look at the ELT set up at av123.com... Its getting great reviews for smaller speakers.

Forum Nav Content I Follow