-

Photo
- - - - -

Deal or Steal On Sony Book Shelf Speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 10:39 AM

Sony | Sony SS-MB150H 2-Way BookShelf Speaker (Pair)

http://www.etronics.....re=&catid=4193

As you can tell, im not too intelligent when it comes to good speakers :- but i have a sony STR-DE695 receiver.. runs about 250 but speakers.... im looking for... if these are crap... can you tell me something with around the same price thats better? Posted Image
Look For Me on, Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Crimson Skies- Road To Revenge, Rainbow Six 3, , Ghost Recon- Island of thunder, ESPN Basketball, ESPN Football, Project Gotham Racing 2, Mechassult, Unreal Tournament, NFL 2k3

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Brad_See

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 11:12 AM

I personally don't think you're going to find anything really good at that price point. If that's all you can spend then I guess those are probably as good as anything else you'd get for 50 bucks.

brad cook

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 12:35 PM

I think there are some Celestion F10s that are cheap but sound good...Best Buy used to have em

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 01:34 PM

ive seen those sony's new at ultimate electronic stores for that price actually... its a stardard price IIRC. ive heard them, there has to be something better for the money.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 07:20 PM

There really is no such thing as a good Japanese speaker "these days" compared to US and Canaidian makers for the price. Better engineering and far better drivers.
JMHO
He's dead Jim, you take his tricorder I'll get his wallet.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 08:25 AM

I think Home Theater Direct may have some sub $50 speakers in their Level 1 section. I can't comment on their sound though.

Edit: Although more than you may want to spend, I just went to their site and noticed they have some level 3 b-stock for $129 (but at that price the door opens a bit more).
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Thomas K

Thomas K

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 10:33 AM

I'd save your money for a nicer set of entry level bookshelf speakers from a good company like B&W or Paradigm.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 06:25 AM

This is a room theater system- so im not into all the best for this Posted Image btw... what would you reccomend klipsch or B&W??
Look For Me on, Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Crimson Skies- Road To Revenge, Rainbow Six 3, , Ghost Recon- Island of thunder, ESPN Basketball, ESPN Football, Project Gotham Racing 2, Mechassult, Unreal Tournament, NFL 2k3

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 08:43 AM

the best is a LONG LONG way from the sonys... even mediocre IMO is a far cry from those sonys...

i dont think B&W will be in the price range. the cheapest i know of are like $200/pr on sale.

maybe stick with stereo if its just for a room? people underestimate how good stereo can sound for movies, if its a good set of speakers.