Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Muppet Show: Buy now or wait?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,281 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 23 2004 - 06:12 AM

Since Disney will likely be gaining the rights to the 1976-1981 Muppet Show (and the first two films), should I buy Columbia's compilation discs now or wait?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 06:30 AM

I don't think Disney is in a rush to rerelease them, so you might as well buy them know.

I've bought a few, they are good discs. I just get confused over which ones I have and which I don't. I wish they had done season sets or some more organized way.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 06:34 AM

This could actually be tricky.

Even if Disney has acquired distribution rights to the Muppet show they might not have those rights immediately. They may have to wait until the contract with Columbia for distribution expires before they can do anything with the property even if they own it.
This may or may not be the case, I don't know what kind of distribution deal Columbia had with the Hensen company, or what impact a sale would have on such an agreement.
I'm not even completely certain that the Disney company will get distribution rights to those first couple of movies, and the Muppet Show. However, I am opperating under the assumption that they will.

But, even if they land the rights, and even if they could distribute them right away, does that mean that they will? If you thyink that they will, and that their releases will be better than what Columbia has done, than I'd wait to see what they do. However, if you wait too long those Columbia titles might go out of print and become harder to find, especially if Disney doesn't end up doing anything.

I have a couple volumes of the Columbia releases, and I think they're ok. I'd buy a couple of them, because hey some Muppet show is better than none, and besides you can probably get them pretty cheap.

I haven't heard any rumblings of anything on the Muppet Show in quite awhile, so I don't know that either studio is planning any kind of future release.

Myself, I'll just stick with the Columbia releases no sense waiting on Disney for something they may never do.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 06:37 AM

If interested, I've got a Brand New copy of The Muppet Show Vol. 2 with Mark Hamill, Paul Simon and Raquel Welch I'd be down to trade for...

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   DanHaya

DanHaya

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 08:30 AM

The last I heard, you could buy the entire 15-volume collection through Timelife.com for about $60, which is a helluva deal.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 08:39 AM

That deal is because it's going out of print. That's a sign that Disney will probably replace it with box sets but soon you won't have a choice.

I have the 15 volume set and I'll happily buy box sets. It's a must own.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 09:21 AM

I did the Fat Albert Collection from Time-Life on DVD (10-disc set). I'm waiting for complete season sets on DVD for the Muppets... but that's just me.

Eventually when Fat Albert comes out in complete season set form I will sell my Time-Life set and then replace it with complete season sets. I could see the same thing happening with the Muppets... (hi-ho!) that's why I'm waiting.

Posted Image

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 23 2004 - 10:13 AM

Region 2 has a diferent box set of this out, more episodes on less discs I think.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 11:07 AM

A search for "muppet" on TimeLife.com yields no hits. I guess they're gone, alas.
-Jay

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 11:10 AM

Timelife lost rights to distribute the Muppet Show discs. There was a sale, but it's over now. Your best bet is Ebay (or me, if you're looking for Volumes 1-10).
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 01:42 PM

While time life may be done selling these, Columbia started releasing them in to stores awhile ago. I didn't buy either of mine from Time Life in fact. From what I understand its the same discs though. They haven't put all 15 on the market yet though, so if you want all the ones out you're best bet is to find someone that has the complete time life set.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Karl F

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 08:49 AM

Casey's right. They've released the first 7 volumes into stores. My store has those versions; I myself have the Time-Life versions, and I can confirm that apart from the Time Life logo, they're exactly the same.

--K

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 06:52 AM

As a collector, my #1 rule is "Buy it when you see!" because you never know.
They may never release any more dvd's. (or whatever type of product it is.)
And they may also sell out, for example if I'm at a mall and see something that I want and say "I'll get it later" then I go back to buy the item only to find out that some jerk already bought it!! That almost always happens to me.
So never assume anything, you never know.
I have all 15 muppet show dvd's and I'm so glad I spent the money. It's worth it to me just to have them. Posted Image
Besides I don't think Disney cares about their shows or fans.Posted Image
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 11:13 AM

I can't even find it now on the timelife web page. Does anyone have a direct link? I picked up the first 10 when they were first available, but didn't round out the final 5.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 12:34 PM

John: As I said above, Timelife lost rights to distribute the Muppet videos. They sold what they had left; all unfulfilled orders were canceled and the videos were removed from the site.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   David Stone

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 04:02 PM

Crud!Posted Image Any new news on the Muppet Show?

I didn't realize they were out of print until I tried to find the Alice Cooper/Vincent Price volume to buy for Halloween. I cannot locate any online vendor that has it for sale (unless you count the slime site that was re-selling the TimeLife 15 dvd set for $250.)
"I don't want my B&W films colorized, my films cropped in any way (including matting 4:3 OAR TV for 16x9 TV!!) or my Star Wars films 'special editioned'!"
Preserve our film history for future generations!

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 05:48 PM

You might want to try something like Half.com .

Paul

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   JasonPW

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 11:56 PM

I bought one Columbia "Muppet Show" disc on a giddy impulse at KMart but now I'm a'waitin'.

For those who doubt Disney's intentions with The Muppets, I understand your concern. But let's look at what our furry friends have been up to since they were swallowed up by Uncle Walt's cronies:

-guest appearance on prime-time (I recall this aired at 9pm) "Nick and Jessica" variety special

-In the tradition of past projects taking advantage of their family-wide appeal, currently shooting 2-hour telepic "Muppet Wizard Of Oz"

-Kermit and Miss Piggy interviewed stars on the red carpet in "Countdown to Emmys" special--hardly considered a "kiddie" attraction

I think Disney's love of synergy is actually a good thing for those of us who are adult fans of the classic Muppet characters and the Muppet entertainment library. No reason we shouldn't expect to eventually see classic Muppet properties pop up on ABC Family or The Disney Channel.....or both!

And to get back on topic, Disney's mastery at packaging nostalgia for the home market (see Disney Treasures DVDs) is also a good deal for Muppet fans. I'm not saying we'll get fancy collections in metal tins, you understand.

But I think we'll get better than what we've already got.

Doc
"We're a little late, folks...Goodnight!"

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 07 2004 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
For those who doubt Disney's intentions with The Muppets, I understand your concern. But let's look at what our furry friends have been up to since they were swallowed up by Uncle Walt's cronies:

-guest appearance on prime-time (I recall this aired at 9pm) "Nick and Jessica" variety special

-In the tradition of past projects taking advantage of their family-wide appeal, currently shooting 2-hour telepic "Muppet Wizard Of Oz"
Both of which happened (or were started) before the sale.

Not that I think Disney is going to be content to let the Muppets sit in the vault by any means; just that thus far, they haven't done much with them.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...