Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hawaii Five-O - Any Interest Out There?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
416 replies to this topic

#1 of 417 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 03:56 AM

Just thought of this show. Kinda silly at times, pretty good at others, This is not meant as a request for it as I think it has no chance for DVD release, but I thought it might be fun to see if others have fond memories of it and would consider it for DVD purchase.

Book 'em, Danno

#2 of 417 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,378 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 04:12 AM

Actually, this show is one of the top 8%-most-requested-shows at TVShowsOnDVD!

Heck, I'd buy it. At least some of it.

Streets of San Francisco, too!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 417 Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 06:21 AM

Didn't this show run 12 seasons? Surely it will come out on DVD. Theres no "Music clearances" to deal with and the show is owned by Fox I think. Great theme tune too.

#4 of 417 Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 08:07 AM

I would definitely buy a DVD of HAWAII FIVE-0 if it contained any of these three episodes:

ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY (a murderous clan of hillbillies wreaks havoc in Hawaii)

I'LL KILL 'EM AGAIN (a psychopath tries to outwit McGarrett with a series of copycat killings)

DRAW ME A KILLER (a delusional killer victimizes people who resemble the villains in a comic strip)

#5 of 417 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 19 2003 - 11:39 AM

Paramount owns it.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 417 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 05:24 PM

David-

Thanks, didn't realize this show had such a following. I figure it still had a good fan base, but didn't realize that much!

Claude, those were great segments you listed, the last one, Draw Me a Killer in particular was a good one.

Also the Wo Fat ones were amusing, and the series of shows about the Vashon(sp?) family.

#7 of 417 James Corey

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 12:28 AM

My personal favourite ep's were "Over 50 ? Steal !" and it's sequel "Odd Man In" that both featured Hume Cronyn.,,, nifty interlude music too.
They played on TV Land recently, first time I'd seen them since 1970/1

#8 of 417 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 28 2003 - 10:25 PM

I believe I read that this show has been remastered, and it looked beautiful on Hallmark tonight. Could they have remastered it in anticipation of a DVD release, or just so it would be more attractive for syndicators?

#9 of 417 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
Heck, I'd buy it.
I watched it on & off for years. I'll buy it in a NY minute. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#10 of 417 ChadP2k

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 03:57 AM

a partial release of this series like a "best of" collection might very well happen someday but I don't see the whole series making it out on DVD. With 12 seasons of hour long episodes it'd be a DVD monster!

#11 of 417 Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 08:33 AM

This show would be perfect for dvd. Jack Lord was the coolest cat ever his hair is worth the price of the set alone..

The show ran from 1968-80 on CBS

That opening theme song is one of the best ever IMO. Those quick edits when the camera zooms in on the balcony and and JL turns around I mean come on in what's not to like?? Even Elvis was like shit man that guy is really cool Posted Image

Those first few years had some really amazing guest stars also like Loretta Swit(twice),Yaphet Kotto,Christopher Walken and Al Michaels played a D.A. Who knew he started out as an actor...I didn't

Book 'Em Danno!

#12 of 417 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 29 2003 - 12:31 PM

If it was in the $30 to $50 range like many box sets seem to be these days, the entire run would still be cheaper than the entire run of one of the Star Trek series.

#13 of 417 MitchP

MitchP

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted December 29 2003 - 05:03 PM

I would buy all 12 season if they came out on dvd. I know it still plays 5 days a week in the islands. My father watches every episode. It's on 7-8pm on channel 11.

#14 of 417 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 22 2004 - 09:07 PM

Any new word on this? I know there isn't, but there ought to be. I'm just kind of jonesing for some McGarrett.

#15 of 417 David Brent

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 05:55 AM

I'd love to see Five-O on DVD.

Granada Plus have been showing it constantly in the UK for years, but recently have started showing early episodes that look much more clean, colourful and vibrant than previous broadcasts.

Looks like this is evidence of remastering. Current broadcasts of Ironside also look tremendous.

Bring on the DVDs!

David

#16 of 417 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 23 2004 - 07:56 AM

They've definitely been remastered. Paramount has a site that is geared towards television programming directors, and it talks about their Hawaii Five-0 package that is available, and the remastering work they've done on the episodes. I guess that means they cleaned them up to make them more attractive to syndicators, but if they've done all that work, why not put them on the shiny disc? The episodes I've been seeing on TV lately have been beautiful. It looks like the same level of clarity and the same vivid colors as their remastered Star Trek: The Original Series discs.

Edit: There's not much here about the remastering, but this might be interesting as a look into how these package deals are sold. I hope the remaining 108 are remastered and the whole shebang put on disc.

http://www.paramount....sp?seriesID=22

Also, here's something from a Hawaii Five-0 fan page:

Quote:
Five-O on DVD
Probably the number one question I am getting asked these days is whether Five-O will be released on DVD, especially in light of other cop shows (Baretta, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, etc.) being released in that format. No one is telling me about any plans to do so, and I suspect there is some "conflict" between Viacom/Paramount, who have been granted the rights to distribute Five-O for syndication, and CBS, who retain the master rights to the series. (There are subtle differences between some episodes released by Columbia House, CBS's video/DVD arm and those released for broadcast by Viacom, and not just the deletions of large parts of episodes which is a feature of one of the Viacom packages!) When and if a Five-O movie is released, I suspect there will be more interest from concerned parties about releasing episodes of the TV show on DVD.

Anyone in a position to know if this dispute between Paramount and CBS is plausible/real? I doubt it, because isn't CBS owned by Viacom? I'm not worried about scenes being edited down for any eventual DVD release, since the first link above seems to suggest they have all kinds of options available to syndicators--everything from full episodes to edited episodes, as well as double-length episodes as originally presented or as two-parters. The only concern is the unremastered 108.

#17 of 417 Jim-M

Jim-M

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 08:34 AM

That fan-page article implies (at least the way I read it) that Columbia House is owned by CBS, but that's not correct. They are owned by the Blackstone Group and Sony has a minority interest. Not sure how that affects the accuracy of anything else in the article, but just wanted to point that out.

#18 of 417 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,209 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 04:30 PM

Quote:
Current broadcasts of Ironside also look tremendous

I assume from your post that you're in the UK. You are very lucky to be able to see "Ironside", restored or unrestored. I know of no major U.S. channel that is currently showing "Ironside" on a regular basis. It is one of my favorite shows and I miss watching it.

As for "5-0", who doesn't want to see Jack Lord's hair preserved for posterity on DVD??

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#19 of 417 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 04:30 AM

I've noticed that the local UPN station here in the San Francisco Bay Area has just started broadcasting these clean remastered early Hawaii 5-0 episodes for the first time on that station. I was at first really surprised to see them as it has not been shown here for at least 6 to 8 years.

Then it occurred to me that UPN is a part of Paramount and there must have been some wheeling dealing going on to have their catalog of TV shows distributed to UPN stations.

I've only seen one episode and it looks clean and colorful!

#20 of 417 Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted July 09 2004 - 07:45 PM

Can anybody shed some light out there on when we might see a release of "Hawaii Five-0" on DVD? I know there is a major motion picture in development currently, which leads me to suspect that a DVD release may be in the works, hopefully.
As for what type of DVD release, that's hard to say...the show ran for 12 seasons (1968-1980), so it might possibly be released some day as a "best of..." set, or possibly a season set. Columbia House issued a 10-volume VHS set in recent years that featured episodes spanning the whole range of the series.
Paramount has the syndicated TV rights, but I believe CBS owns the series, so I'm not sure who would be issuing such a set...

If anyone has some info on this, please share it...this was one of my all-time favorite cop shows, and my old tapes need to be retired Posted Image
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

Forum Nav Content I Follow