Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Gaslight and WB musicals need SE presentation...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   KellyReeVo

KellyReeVo

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 12:48 PM

When the WB musicals first started rolling out on DVD, I was really excited - until I saw the special 2 disc edition for "Singin'In the Rain". Now I am not at all satisfied with the single disc (snap case - ugh!) presentations of the WB musical catalogue. I got caught twice with "Robin Hood POT" and "Casablanca" but I have learned my lesson. I put my foot down when it came to the musicals, and thank G** WB has decided to revisit earlier musical DVD presentations.
I was so tickled when I saw the listing on DBits for the 2 disc SE of "Seven Brides..." , that I squealed! Keep them rolling out the way that you did SITR, and I'll buy them all!
Oh, and any possibility a SE for "Gaslight"? This has always been one of my favorite films, and I just deflated when I saw that it was in one of those diabolical snappers!
Is there any hope for a musical/noir fan???

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 01:18 PM

Warner Brothers wants to do MGM musicals but doesn't seems interested in their own musicals.
The only new actual Warners musical out is Night and Day and that got a ka ka transfer.
I would like to see the Doris Day Warners films, Damn Yankees, Deset song (both versions), those non dorid day films that had Gordon Macrae and Gene Nelson (she's woprking her way through college, Three Sailors and a Girl etc).

#3 of 13 ONLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,337 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 01:19 PM

Kelly, welcome to HTF.

In regards to Gaslight, there is a "making of", "trailer" and the 1940 original on the disc. I don't know what else they can give us. This is a great disc. Many of us here have by-passed the snapper-case curse and create our own custom cases. You could do a search on the subject. Eliminating the snapper is fun and easy to do. Don't let the most current Gaslight disc pass you by. Lovely film.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 21 2004 - 03:15 PM

Gaslight was just released a few months ago.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 03:21 PM

I personally think Gaslight should have been 2-disc. I hate flippers.
Disc One: The Film
Disc Two: Original Film, Bonus Features

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 04:12 PM

Warner Brothers wants to do MGM musicals but doesn't seems interested in their own musicals

Another vote for DAMN YANKEES!

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,460 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 21 2004 - 05:50 PM

Another vote for the Doris Day Warners films (including Storm Warning)

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Derek_McL

Derek_McL

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 10:33 PM

The musicals Warner Brothers really need to release from their own studio vault are the early sound ones and the Busby Berkeleys (I know those are slated for a boxset next year but what happened to the SE of The Jazz Singer (1927)?)

Among the MGMs I'd like to see a few more Garlands and Fred Astaire. I think The Band Wagon (1953) is getting the 2 disc SE treatment next year. Staying with Astaire : what about the RKO Fred and Gingers,when are they coming to DVD at least in region 1 ? Among the musicals they seem to be the forgotten gems of the Warner catalog.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted July 22 2004 - 05:20 AM

I agree: More Garland! Easter Parade is slated for a two disc release next Spring, I'm sure in time for the holiday. It will have the wonderful PBS Garland documentary which aired earlier this year.

Andy

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 04:05 AM

Whatever happened to "Finian's Rainbow" ? Been waiting months for this one.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   KellyReeVo

KellyReeVo

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I too would be interested in all of the musicals mentioned here. Esp. "Bandwagon". I have recently started circulating my VHS copy around work, since I found out that - in a movie retail store - I am the only person who had ever even heard of the film. At the same time that I am thrilled to see these films (including Gaslight) presented at all, I feel that things like packaging, cover art and disc issues will make the difference for the studios being able to appeal to individual consumers instead of just rentailers like Netflix. When I am weighing whether to buy a disc or just order it up from the "Flix', the physical product presentation is a large part of my decision. I deal with movie consumers everyday. Here in the Heartland, they are very concerned about packaging issues. There are some real nit-picky fans out here(a compliment) who already have extensive film libraries on VHS. Frugality has to play a role with people who are watching their pennies. They are reluctant to re-purchase things that they already have in another format without a great incentive.
Besides, as I said before, I have been burned too many times by the SE syndrome. If embargoes worked on S Africa, they can work on movie studios! Posted Image

Oh, and you can definately put "Finnans Raindow" on my list - and any other Tommy Steel (SP?) moivies. I had the biggest crush on him when I was 12 years old! Posted Image

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted July 25 2004 - 04:10 PM

Anchor Bay announced about a year or more ago that they had obtained and were going to release a batch of the early British Tommy Steele Musicals, but so far there has been no further word on them.

Where are they?

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,419 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 04:44 AM

Speaking of Gaslight, I DVR'd that film and The Black Cat last night, which (if memory serves) were airing on TCM. I've never seen Gaslight before and I am really looking forward to it. I missed recording The Innocents (1961). That film is one of my very favorite psychological / horror films, and IMO Deborah Kerr and a few others are superb in it. I hope they run it again soon, as I don't yet own that film. I caught the last fifteen or so minutes of it, and the quality of the print was amazing.