Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

what xover and eq are you guys using with your passive subs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   KonradN

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted June 09 2001 - 10:32 AM

the bfd seems to be the eq to use and i was surprise that it can be had for around 150. by the description i thought it would be something around 5 to 10 bills. Anyways i don't think it includes an xover so what xover are u guys using and also is there a single device that a has xover and parametric eq (doesn't have to be as flexible as the bfd).

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Julian Data

Julian Data

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted June 09 2001 - 02:38 PM

Konrad: Dont forget some PRO amps have a LP. I have used the BFD with great success and have upgraded to the Rane. I am not worried about the XO chore since the B&K 307 has the management for that area. ------------------

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted June 09 2001 - 05:33 PM

I use Rane also for the XO, and my EQ is an older dbx 1/3 octave RTA unit. This is fine for my LEDE (live end/dead end) room, but isn't adequate for a typical room, which needs a parametric unit. GM ------------------ Loud is beautiful, if it's clean
Loud Is Beautiful, If It's Clean

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted June 09 2001 - 07:34 PM

I've had good results with the BFD and the Mirage LFX3 crossover. The LFX3 is a 3 channel crossover with variable slopes and the ability to use up to three subs.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Toys

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted June 09 2001 - 08:42 PM

it's too bad the BFD does not include an adjustable (12db or 24db per octave and sau 15-18-20-22-25hz for instance ) subsonic filter.

Unless you have a subsonic filter on the power amps, we pretty much are forced to use an external one which means two gears between the processor/receiver and the power amp feeding the subwoofer.

Still searching for the right solution. Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,937 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted June 10 2001 - 12:55 PM

I'm using AudioControl EQs and crossover. Instead of using the receiver’s sub out, I send the pre- L/R outs to a pair of C-131 1/3 octave equalizers. The C-131’s have sub-sonic filters that can be switched to Off, 15Hz, 25hz or 35Hz. From there the signal goes to a PCA III, which has 24dB/octave slopes with Linkwitz-Riley filters. Separate amps feed the L/R speakers and subs. The 1/3 octave EQs don’t do as precise a job at bass as a parametric EQ, but they did allow me to make more adjustments on the main L/R speakers than I could have made with a parametric. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#7 of 8 Guest_John Morris_*

Guest_John Morris_*

Posted June 10 2001 - 02:05 PM

I am upgrading my system and originally bought a AudioControl Rialto and a Symetrix 551E for EQ and crossover. Then I found an LFX-3 crossover for a song. I happen to own all Mirage M-si speakers, so this crossover offered a nice match for them. Still, I am yet to get a subwoofer so the happiness of this match is unknown. Stephen, any idea how the LFX-3 would work with a symetrix 551e parametric to remove the problems? ------------------ Take Care, merc ------------------ DTCP, DFAST, 5C, DVI, and HDCP smell like DIVX!!!

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 03:44 PM

John,

The LFX three should work very well with the Symetrix. The ability to provide slightly different responses for the both the low pass and high pass is handy.

It takes a bit of fiddling, but the changes are audible and measurable.

I use mine in stereo mode, and it is great, although I wish it has balanced outs to make hookup to the BFD easier.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Toys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users