-

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite Kino release?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 03:30 AM

Criterion may get all the press, but Kino has been putting out some great, albeit, obscure releases: The Man Who Laughs, Fritz Lang's Liliom, the 1943 Nazi-produced Titanic (see my review in Expanding Horizons), the 1943 Munchhausen, Marcel Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy, and much more.

So, what's your fav Kino release?

I'll go with one of their latest releases: Munchhausen. It's a very cool time comparing this to Terry Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, plus the DVD presents the film nicely restored with an excellent set of bonus features. Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 05:14 AM

The Blue Angel, includes both German and American versions, a good commentary, and some Marlene Dietrich related extras.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 05:22 AM

Metropolis, without a doubt.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 07:24 AM

I have got very few Kino titles, but from the ones I have, I'd pick Metropolis as well
My DVD list

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 10:47 AM

Metropolis
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 11:10 AM

I don't own and haven't seen a lot of Kino discs as they are hard to find around these parts (imports only).

However, I do own Metropolis, Faust, Dog Days, the Dead or Alive trilogy, La Habanera, Liliom, The Mirror, the original release of The Tin Drum and non R1 editions of Kino's Code Unknown and The Piano Teacher.

I just bought Derek Jarman's Sebastiane and The Tempest but haven't watched them yet.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 21 2004 - 11:15 AM

I only own Metropolis and The Thief of Bagdad... also, I've seen The Man Who Laughs and The General (with The Playhouse and Cops).

The Thief of Bagdad is my favorite... excellent transfer, excellent score (Mont Alto: fantastic!), and great extras. I don't think Metropolis really can count since it's just the Transit Film DVD in English and with Kino packaging.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Rob Stidham

Rob Stidham

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 09:01 PM

Guy Maddin's Careful; gorgeous transfer and a truly fascinating documentary on Maddin, "Waiting For Twilight".
"father logic sometimes gets cosmic" - guided by voices

my Dvd Profiler | my (everchanging) YMDB top 20 | my Audioscrobbler

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted July 22 2004 - 04:09 AM

I have The Last Laugh, Faust, Tartuffe, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Blue Angel, Broken Blossoms, The Golem, & Waxworks and probably the same r2 edition of Code Unknown that Bill has.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+