What's new

eCost: Denon AVRs: 2805S, 3805S, 2805. Ships 2-5 days. (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yup, so they're back. Kick ass pricing, as usual.

They even have the 2900 and 2900S (cheaper by $20 for some reason) in the same status, availability 2-5 days.

I've now done two orders through then, one for a 2200, the other for my *FANTASTIC* 2900S.

Take a look folks.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I've been looking for a CD player and see they have the refurbed Denon DCM-380 for $89.95 (it's 299.99 at my local store for a new one).

I never bought a refurb or from ecost...you had good luck there?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I just called - 3805s/2805 availability July 30th.
Denon 3803 in stock though for anyone interested.

Shaun

Second Unit
Are you guys sure this is a reputable site to order from? This just seems a little too good to be true. Those prices are just insanely inexpensive. A Denon AVR-2805 for only $529 compared to retail price of $900? Are they an authorized Denon on-line dealer? Is the warranty good? I am currently shopping around too for which receiver to get. I am trying to replace my Onkyo TX-DS575X DD/DTS 5.1 Receiver, but everywhere I look locally, the 2805 doesn't go any lower than $900, and the 3805 is supposed to be $1200. I'm also looking to replace my current DVD player, 5-disc Onkyo DV-CP501, with a Denon as well. Maybe the 2200 or 2500.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Shaun, they're refurbs. And yes, they are authorized Denon refurb dealers, and all those products come with 90 day warranties, and you can purchase additional warranty from eCost if you find that important. I guarantee you there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
thanks for the reassurance Drew. I just ordered a cd player, so lets hope I have the same luck as you!

Shaun

Second Unit
Ok, so they're refurbs, not brand new items. That explains the low cost. How can 2805s and 3805s already be refurbished? Aren't these new models?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

These are new models, but even the newest models have refurbs, since these are units that were probably returned for some sort of problem, either through manufacturing or shipping error. They were then remanufactured and fixed to original specs. I think a good thing about refurbs is that they are individually checked to make sure that they are manufactured to original specs, while some of the new units are not checked, they are simply built and are not examined for mistakes that may have occured during the manufacturing process.
I have myself have bought refurb units from authorized sites such as AC4L and ECost, and have nothing but good luck with the units. I think that if you are worried about purchasing a refurbed unit, just get the extended warranty (Which in itself is also very cheap, for the most part) and in case your refurn stops working and ECost cannot fix it, you will get a brand new unit. I think that purchasing refurbs through authorized Etailers is nothing but a win-win.

Shaun

Second Unit
Ok, I went ahead and took the plunge. I purchased the Denon AVR-2805 Receiver with a 1 year extended warranty. Can't wait to get it and see how it sounds. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I wonder why, if the units are refurbished to new specs, they only come with a ninety day warranty vs manufacturer one or two year warranty? A digital camera I was looking at this morning at a Staples store, was reburb but had a full factory, one year warranty (HP I think)

Mort (who's just curious)

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Another reason for 'new' product refurb are doa at the assembly line or accidental cosmetic blemish (rather than take the unit all apart sell as refurb 'b' stock).

Reason for shorter warranty is to lower prices. product support is very expensive. denon used to make receivers for tweeter under a different model with all warranties transferred to the tweeter. the tweeter version had a lower price tag than a similar denon.

reason for lower warranty period has nothing to do with the mfg confidence on the refurb, its too lower the price of the refurb so it becomes more attractive. also, since each refurb unit has been inspected and tested; the likelyhood of failure is greatly diminished. so if the refurb last the first 30 days of burn in, it should be good to go for a long time.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Man, those are some tempting prices.

One thing to note, the 2805/3805 are "reconditioned", not "refurbished". I wonder what the difference is.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
"Reconditioned" & "refurbished" are used interchangably by different vendors. It's the same thing.

I'm getting mighty tempted to order the 2805. I have an Onkyo SR600 right now & I'm pretty happy w/it. I wonder if the 2805 will sound that much better--I'm using an Acoustic Research 6.1 speaker system w/small bookshelf speakers. I like the idea of the auto-calibration feature on the 2805 & having 3-in/1-out component video switching, plus 7 digital inputs (2 coax & 5 optical) of course. PLIIx too ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I've used eCost before to purchase a new receiver and a CD player. At first, I couldn't believe how cheap their prices were. There was a small handling fee added to the order, but all-in-all, I still saved a lot of money on the purchase and the merchandise that I received was new and fully sealed in the factory boxes.

With some "bargains" from them, the item could be priced really low - but, the shipping amount could be high - (e.g. $50 or so.) Like any other bargain out there, your mileage may vary.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I've had great luck with Ecost. I ordered an Onkyo sr601 reciever, and the 301 dvd player to match. Those come with a 1 year onkyo warranty.

I got lucky, both of mine were labeled "minor cosmectic defects". Sure enough, they did have some. The cd player had an approx. 1" line in on the front face. It's not a scratch, almost looks like a hair got in the mold. You can't see it unless you are within arms reach, and even then you can only see it if the light is right. The receiver had some messed up text. All I had to do was look in the manual and see what the button does. Problem solved!

I can't believe how much money I saved due to these truly, "minor cosmetic defects". I couldn't have been happier with my purchases and would have no issues dealing with them again.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Shaun, why are you looking to replace the 575X? thats supposed to be a real good mid-grade receiver. Not satisfied with it?

Shaun

Second Unit
Kevin,

The Onkyo 575X is fine, nothing wrong with it. It is a very good "mid-grade" 5.1 reciever. Bought it in '00 and never had a single problem with it. However, I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now to a higher quality reciever with more features (DD-EX, DTS-ES 7.1, higher/cleaner power, etc.). But the main thing that convinced me to upgrade was that after I purchased my new speaker setup, the new Klipsch Reference Series speakers (RF25 Mains, RC35 Center and RS25s Surrounds), the combination results in a somewhat harsh/fatiguing/bright sound at reference levels. I've always heard that Denon/Klipsch are a good pair because Denon recievers are usually considered "warm" sounding, while Klipsch speakers are usually considered "bright" sounding due to their horn tweeters. They really are "loud"-speakers. Very efficient compared to my older Infinity Interlude speakers. Onkyos are more aggressive sounding recievers. I think it kinda evens out this way.

I hope I made the right decision going with the "refurb" Denon 2805. I hear nothing but good things about Denon products and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new equipment.

In the meantime, I have also replaced my Onkyo 5-disc DV-CP501 DVD changer changer with both the single disc Denon DVD-2200 to use as my reference player, and the 5-disc Denon DVM-1815 for casual DVD watching.

My home theater has really evolved lately and I'll try to get around to posting some new pictures after everything is completed. Last year, I replaced my 32-inch Toshiba Television with a 55-inch Mitsubishi Widescreen HDTV.

Man, I really have a bad case of upgrade"itis"

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looks like a very nice system. The 1815 is a very nice player for the price you can find it, that is for people looking for a good changer that still has solid PQ. I would still use the 2200 for anything that didn't require 5disc though. You may have been better off w/ one of the Denon 5disc CD players and use the 2200 for all DVD and multichannel hi-res music, but at the price of the 1815 it may have been about the same.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Shaun, I upgraded from that exact same Onkyo 575X receiver to a Denon 2802 a year or two ago. The reason, PLII, 6.1 surround and, you guessed it, my new Klipsch RF3-II/RC3-II speakers sounded a little fatiguing with the Onkyo. Earily similar. Anyways, the Denon helped out a little to tame those Klipsch, but I wanted more taming, so I added an outboard amp (Parasound 885) and that helped even more, however, I have come to the conclusion that Klipsch are by nature going to be somewhat fatiguing during extended listening sessions at reference levels (at least to my ears) no matter what I do. More so for music than for HT. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my setup and I think you're going to love the 2805 (thought about getting one myself at those ecost prices) over your 575X, but Klipsch will be Klipsch. You cant control them, you can only hope to contain them. ;) If I do another upgrade, it will be new speakers, probably KEF Q7's or some Paradigms. Not trying to make you second guess your new 2805 desicion, like I said, I think you'll really be impressed with Denon over the 575X and it may tame those Klipsch of yours just right for your ears. You have to be the judge. Congrats on your new purchase! Great Deal too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks