Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Home Theatre Room

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ColinW

ColinW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 05:52 AM

Hi everyone - I am a longtime reader of the forum, and until now I had my theatre set up in my living room. I have some room in the basement of my old house that I would like to turn into a dedicated HT room. The width of the space I am considering is about 10 feet, and the length can be anywhere from 10 to about 20 feet. Is this room suitable for a small theatre? I know I will be plenty far enough from the screen, but is the room width an issue? I am not going with a front projection setup, just using existing gear. The screen is a Tosh 57" RPTV, and the speakers are currently a Polk sub/satellite combo. I was planning on mounting the sats on the walls and having the screen at one end of the room and a couch at the other end. The floor is concrete, and the walls will be regular drywall. What should I be looking out for as far as moisture/insulation, flooring (carpet?), wall treatments, etc? Also, any helpful tips would be appreciated. I read through all the threads and wrote down some excellent ideas. thanks, Colin

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   KenA

KenA

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted July 20 2004 - 09:41 AM

Hey Colin, I'm diong pretty much what you're thinking about. I have an extra couple of feet of width, but not much. There are a lot of factors involved when finishing a basement and many of them are dependent on building codes. What do you have down there now? Do you have moisture problems? Before I can really begin, I'm having a French drain and sump pump installed. I don't get flooding, just some seepage and I don't want to mess around with all of the electronics I intent to install. I am also going to carpet it. I intend to put down a subfloor over the concrete, though. It is possible to just put down a very heavy pad right on the concrete and install carpet over that, but if you have any moisture, i would recommend against that.
»ken«
DVD List

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   ColinW

ColinW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 01:03 AM

Thanks Ken. I do have some minor seepage, so I was going to get a drain installed and build a subfloor just a few inches off the existing concrete. I will then carpet the floor. My big concern is the width of the room. I remeasured lats night and I think once the walls are built I will only have about 8 feet of width to play with. With that amount of room, how long should I built the room? I assume it would work well, building it about 15 feet? Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users