What's new

Sequels to remakes? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
To pair with my "Remakes of sequels" thread, I thought it'd be interesting to consider if any remakes have ever had sequels. There must be some, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Can anyone else?

And stuff like Batman Returns wouldn't count - yeah, there was an earlier Batman movie before the one in 1989, but we can't consider it to remake the Adam West flick - they both simply share the same source. An iffier case could be made for something like the 1988 Bourne Identity TV movie. Should we consider the 2002 theatrical flick to be a remake? I wouldn't, since both came from a novel, but it's up for debate.

So let's hear some!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Some Godzilla movies probably count as both sequels to remakes and remakes of sequels.

I'm not sure where you'd fit U.S. Marshalls.

Is Father of the Bride II a remake of Father's Little Dividend or not?

Ocean's Twelve is probably the most obvious one.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

The same place you'd fit Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleased. I guess it depends on whether one considers a film version of a TV show to be a "remake".

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BTW, Colin, is the following phrasing what you intended:
From the thread title, I was expecting "if any remakes have ever had sequels".

M.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

:b I confused myself with the two threads!

Yes, the thread title is correct - I wanted to know about sequels to remakes. Whoops! I'll edit my original post...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If one considers A Fistful of Dollars to be a remake of Yojimbo, then I suppose For a Few Dollars More would qualify.

M.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hammer films of the 50's & 60's i.e. their Dracula, Frankenstein & Mummy series had plenty of sequels that ran off of the remakes.

King Kong Lives! would be another. :D

oh & The Fly II

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Remakes rock! If the first film were good why would it need a remake? And sequels are even better beacuz more=good + not too much. Just look at all the good sequels there are to already great remakes... The Mummy Returns, King Kong Lives, who could forget The Fly II? I wonder when Lost in Space 2 is coming out? It was so much better at what it tried to be then that black and white tv show. STAR TREK lasted longer then THAT:D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

That would be true except that I don't consider the new MUMMY to be a remake as the plot is entirely different from the original film. It's more a case of reusing a title.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Lots of good titles mentioned here - can't believe I forgot all of them!

I would consider 1999's Mummy as a remake, if just because I see a remake as a movie that exists in an attempt to redo a prior film. It doesn't have to be terribly true to the source, but it must be BASED on that source in some way. Would Mummy 1999 exist without Mummy 1932? No, so it's a remake...

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
An article at moviepoopshoot.com reports that Paramount is starting a sequel to "The Italian Job".

There's the sequel to The Ring coming out next year (which apparently will not be a remake of Ring(u) 2).

This one's iffy: Abel Ferrara's 1993 Body Snatchers seems much more like a loose sequel to Kaufman's '79 Invasion rather than a remake of Siegel's original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks