Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

XM-Ready Pioneer vs. Roady2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 08:13 AM

About a year back, I got a Pioneer DEH-P2500 (an XM-Ready CD head unit) for my Honda, fully intending to sign up with XM as soon as I had the spare cash. Well, it kinda slipped my mind--how, I don't know--and when I remembered, it was usually when I didn't have cash to spare. Well, now I do have the cash to spare, and after setting up my dad's Father's day present, a Roady2, I'm jonesin' for XM. This is where my dilemma occurs.

I have the XM-Ready Pioneer head unit in my car, but not a tuner/antenna/splitter combo. I can find combo deals with all three for ~$175 online, but only with the 8-character single-line tuners. eBay has some 16-character single-line tuners, but they're all $125 or more, and antennas and splitters are separate. Then there's the Roady2, which comes with everything except I'd have to use FM modulation instead of a direct connection, which is reduced fidelity.

So here are my choices:
1) 16-character single-line display tuner. Direct connection, but antenna/splitter extra--$200+
2) 8-character single-line display tuner. Direct connection, antenna/splitter included--$175.
3) XM Roady2 w/2-line display and unlimited(?) characters, everything included, but only FM modulation available--$125.

So, any opinion on which is the better these choices? Money is somewhat of an issue, but if there's a real difference in sound quality, I'd pay the premium. If the whole # of lines and character things is a real danger, that could also sway my vote as well.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 04:57 AM

You know, Alpine makes an all-in-one unit now. The CDA-9820XM has all of the XM hardware built into it, except for the antenna of course. I just had one installed. It works fantastic and I love the fact that it's all-in-one.

I've had the Delphi unit and currently have to Roady in another vehicle which I installed myself. It's nice having everything in on convenient package.

This might not be for you since you already have a newer headunit, but maybe you want to upgrade that, too? It's around $320.00 or so.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 05:43 AM

Thanks, Shawn. It sounds like it would be the best option, but I forgot to mention another aspect of my decision-making. I'll most likely be selling my car in the next two months, and my folks will buy the Pioneer from me (it's going from a 94 Civic to 95 Accord, so there should be minimal problems). It sounds like a perfect idea for the new car, though. Any word on a follow-up model, or is this one good for a while?
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 04:43 AM

The Alpine just came out pretty recently. It won an award at the 2004 CES for "Excellence in Design and Engineering".

It's not a real fancy radio. It's just a basic Alpine headunit / CD player with the XM added in. It still sounds good and has decent power on it's own. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy displays or anything like that. Just the basics and it works.

Posted Image

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   STLMIKE

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted September 17 2004 - 05:24 PM

I have this head unit. It was actually cheaper than buying just an XM ready head unit and the separate receiver -- and it was one less thing to install.

Love it!