What's new

Complete List of DVD-Rot Known Titles? (6 Viewers)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Is there a list or a database out there containing all known DVDs that have been known to exhibit DVD-Rot? I know of Ghostbusters and Contact, but wanted to know if there are any others in my collection I should be aware of.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Not sure if it counts, but the original Dragonheart and daylight DVDs I had, just stopped playing, period. No scratches, smears or anything wrong. They played fine originally,then.. nothing.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Anchor Bay's FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN and THE WITCHES were both known to fail right out of the box in their initial release - they later corrected and replaced them.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
There are a number of Anchor Bay DVDs that have been highly problematic, including The Witches and FCW, but I've also read a about a lot of problems with Kentucky Fried Movie, Heathers, and The Wicker Man, but for those last three, the problem seems to apply only to early pressings.

Apparently, for a while Anchor Bay was manufacturing their DVDs with sub-par materials, which caused nearly entire runs of certain titles to rot.

As to a definitive list of trouble DVDs, there are some that receive a lot of attention, such as Contact, and I remember about four years ago there were a lot complaints about LA Confidential and Devil's Advocate as well, but this is something that can seemingly strike any DVD. These things are mass-produced and replicated rather cheaply, so there are bound to be problems here and there. So even though a DVD isn't a known trouble-maker doesn't necessarily mean it's immune from rot.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
For me, in addition to Ghostbusters:

The original My Fair Lady disc.

Disney's animated The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I think others had trouble with one of the original pressing discs of From the Earth to the Moon. My set plays fine (last time I checked).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My Varsity Blues died a month back. No scratches or prints. It just suddenly became unrecognizable by all three of my DVD players. I have also been through three copies of Ron White: "They Call Me Tater Salad" and all three pixellate badly. I have chalked it up to either a bad batch of pressings of a cheaply made disc. It's distributed by Image Entertainment.

Travis W.

Second Unit
Universal's Street Fighter disc is very spotty. I went through 3 copies before I found one that actually worked. I've heard of several others complaining of bad discs.
The movie's bad but the disc shouldn't be :D.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
The first disc of "From Earth to the Moon."
Third disc too.

Both were playable when I bought them and are now worthless.

I don't believe that "DVD rot" is the right term to describe this. I would attribute it more to bad manufacturing. I read in other threads that Warner had some quality control problems which led to some disc "dying" but I never heard them, or any other studio, own up to it.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
Carlito's Way

Apollo 13

Waterworld

The Jackal

All original Universal editions.. looks like Universal went through a bad patch of poor quality DVD's!! Both my DVD players say there's no disc in the drive, and they all used to play perfectly!

Even my PC DVD drive which usually plays just about anything refuses them!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My original Vertigo (with the orange cover) will not play on any DVD player now.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
all my DVDs are in mint condition. I rented Minority report and it was freaking scratched to hell and I could barely watch it without fast forwarding threw freezes. I wonder if I should ask for a free rental? Not really a rot issue however.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
What's DVD-Rot? It's not like those LD rots, right? Because I thought it didn't exist for DVD!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Sam I believe it's the glue used to hold the layers of RSDL DVDs together. If not applied properly - I assume if air gets in - it turns opaque and prevents the laser from reading past the layer switch. That's what I think of DVD rot. Looks like others are having different issues though.

I had this with my original copy of Contact. After the layer switch the movie would break up and eventually freeze.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Of the movies mentioned, I have Contact, Apollo 13, From the Earth to the Moon, Tombstone Vista, Thirteen Days, & The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have never had a problems with these DVD's playing (rot or something else) and I have owned a dvd player since this all began in April of 1997. Contact and Apollo 13 were the first two movies I bought.
Of those I have, the only one I haven't watched in a while is FTETTM, so I'll pop that in to see if it still works. I do know that the glue on the packaging of that set failed miserably. ;)
If these problems are caused by rot, could some players be more sensitive to it than others? Maybe those reporting problems could also mention their DVD player.
I have a Tosh 3107 & a Panny RP-91.
Peace,
DM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks