-

Photo

Child of Glass (Disney movie) on DVD??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 07:05 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether this movie could ever make it to DVD. It was a made for TV movie done by Disney back in 1978. I used to have this on tape when I was a kid and always liked it.

Here is a link to the movie on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077325/

Apparently this movie has other fans, and wondered what Disney's policy was of releasing made for TV stuff from the 70s.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 07:08 AM

Okay, it looks like I sorta answered my own question here. I found this on the IMDB message boards:

Quote:
I too have seen this great little film from Disney. I also asked the question "Why is this not on DVD." However, I was less patient so I, and a friend, contacted the Disney Archive and what we heard was distressing.

At first, the archive was unaware of the film and actually had to dig to find records of it. When they found the credit for it and looked deeper what was discovered was just completely unfortunate. According the the Disney Archive, the original of this film was damaged/destroyed. Before we jump to conclusions, Disney didn't destroy it. It essentially destroyed itself. The Archive couldn't confirm how, but it appears the original copy either burned or "vinegared" [A reel can degrade due to poor archiving and when that happens it smells like vinegar, thus the name]. All they could confirm was that it was listed as damaged/destroyed.

All is not lost though. It can be restored from VHS copies [which Disney has] or from other copies of the Original reel if it turns up somewhere. Either way, it is a very time-consuming and expensive process. Disney probably won't do this UNLESS people write them so they know this little-known film has an audience.

Sorry to disappoint.

If this is true, that would really suck, but seeing as this movie has been OOP for probably 20 years, I would take anything, even a cleaned up VHS transfer on DVD.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 08:07 AM

I love this film and would love to see it released.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 02:06 AM

Sigh...I guess if theres a lack of interest on here, then theres probably not a very good chance Disney will want to spend money to get this title out. Posted Image
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 12:36 AM

I remember enjoying this quite a bit when it aired on television, but I don't know how it would hold up today. Was it ever released on VHS? I know that Disney released quite a bit of stuff on home video fairly early on in its rollout to mainstream America.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 03:40 AM

This sounds like a film I'd like. I'd love to see it someday.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 04:28 AM

Look at all the glowing comments this movie has, there is not a single negative thing to be said about it. I seriously think this would be a "diamond in the rough" if Disney would actually get it released. I think I'll scope ebay and try to find some old VHS copies.

Quote:
Date: 22 November 2003
Summary: Great bit of a cult thing, really

LOVED this movie. Couldn't get enough of it for a time, and the books that surrounded it [like The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp or something like that by Richard Peck]. It's way too scary for little kids, but kids over about the age of 8 or 9 may get a big kick out of it. Haven't seen it for years, though, so it might be a little too dated for the average 2003 kid to enjoy.

Quote:
Date: 20 August 2003
Summary: A Great Ghost Story, But Also A Great Story About Friendship.

The Child Of Glass (1979)

I remember renting this movie at the local video store as a child, and I remember that it scared the crap out of me, but I've watched it again and I loved it. This movie was so good, I wish they would put it out on DVD. I got hold of the movie on video and it was hard to find. This movie was great, and the scene where Inez dances with Alexander was really sad. This was a great movie, that is spooky and happy. I recommend this to children ages ten to thirteen, it might scare younger kids. I also recommend The Watcher In The Woods if you like this movie. I give it 10/10.

Quote:
Date: 6 August 2002
Summary: My favorite movie as a child

I first saw this movie as a child and loved how Inez said the boys name "Alexander" with a french accent. I just loved it so much I vowed to name my son that if I had one...and I did...and his name is Alexander. So as you can see I am a Big fan of the movie. You have to see it..it's much more fun seeing with a child to.

AMJG5

Quote:
Date: 18 December 2000
Summary: Scared me as a child... keeps scaring me now

I remember seeing this movie as a child when it played on tv.

It turned out that Child of Glass would haunt me even today. The little girl looking for the doll plays a rather convincing ghost.

The movie is very well done and deserves recognition. I suggest you go rent it. Warning, you may see ghosts around you after seeing this.

Quote:
Date: 17 February 2000
Summary: Excellent and Fun Family Movie

I must say that this was a very enjoyable movie and would recommend it for the whole family.

Here is a ghost story that builds on the idea that trust is a good thing and even though you may reside in different worlds you can still bond with each other and help in a time of need.

A modern boy keeps seeing a ghost girl, about his same age, and discovers that the little girl cannot rest in peace until she solves a riddle. Even though it may be dangerous and the little boy will end up losing the ghost girl as a friend if he succeeds in solving the it he agrees to help. He gets help from a new neighbor friend who is also the same age and their off to the races. They have only until holloween to solve the riddle of "The Child of Glass"

Quote:
Date: 25 August 1999
Summary: This one always makes me cry

This is a great ghost story. It stayed with me from the time I first saw it as a child. I just loved it. A little french girl's ghost on an old spooky southern plantation. This was based on a book called "The Ghost Belonged to Me". After watching this film, I bought the book and it's sequel, which were just as good as the movie. If you're looking for a good ghost story, this is it.

Quote:
Date: 2 May 1999
Summary: Wonderful, sweet story about friendship

I finally found this movie after a long search, and it was worth the wait. I was about 7 when it appeared on television in the late '70s, and I have never forgotten it. I have a six year old girl now who was absolutely riveted by it. If you ever have a chance to rent or buy this (hard to do, its been OOP for a while), please do so. The scene where the little ghost girl Inez becomes real for a moment to dance a waltz with the little boy in the story still gets me. What a great movie!

Quote:
Date: 8 March 1999
Summary: Excellent, spooky story

Excellent film, which I recommend for everyone in the family.

This film is a must for everyone. It's got ghosts, mystery, spooky cemeteries and suspense. Steve Shaw, who plays Alexander, is very, very good, and Katy Kurtz plays Blossom with panache. My kids loved this movie, as does everyone who watches it. It's hard to find, though, since it's not for sale anymore.

Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,221 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 22 2004 - 03:34 AM

It's really depressing if the rumor about the negative being shot is true. I own the VHS and I found this film quite enjoyable; one of the better Wonderful World of Disney entries.

That any studio would allow their material to degrade like this, no matter how obscure, is depressing. I'm not surprised the current brass have not even heard of it, though.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted July 22 2004 - 06:17 AM

Mike --

Child of Glass is a special film for me, as it inspired some writing I did in the 90's. Aside from the creepy gothic atmoshpere of the American South, the one moment that lingered and inspired was the sequence where the spirit was given a brief chance to be "solid flesh" again, and she used it to dance with the protagonist.

I have not seen the film since it aired as a re-run on TV in the late 70's or early 80's. I was very young, but I've never forgotten it.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 11 2006 - 03:09 PM

I'd love to see this hit DVD too. It was a childhood favorite of mine; I was moved to tears by the plight of Inez Dumaine. Based on the story "The Ghost That Belonged To Me".

"Sleeping lies the murdered lass
Vainly cries the Child of Glass
When the two shall be as one
The spirit's journey will be done"

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 05:04 PM

I loved this film so much as a child. I still think about it quite a bit. This film needs to be resurrected. It used to play on the Disney channel quite a bit in the 80s.
Helen: Jim! How do you live?
Jim: I steal...

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts

Posted May 30 2008 - 10:40 PM

Reviving this thread because I'm a sucker for lost causes.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted June 02 2008 - 02:46 PM

I would love to have this movie on DVD. I loved this movie when I was a kid, especially the story and characters. I taped this off the Disney Channel about 10 years ago, I still enjoyed it a lot, holds up well. I'd like to have a better copy.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   angelgrl4

angelgrl4

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 01 2010 - 12:27 AM

Occasionally a VHS copy will show up on ebay.  If you are willing to shell out about $90 for it, it's yours.  I loved this movie and looked forward to this time of year when they would air it more frequently.  I recorded it and wore out the tape watching it.  I would love to have copy as well

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 02:19 PM

This would be an excellent suggestion if Disney did their own MOD DVD's, There are so many B and or C movies that I loved, but never caught on -- and become hits, that deserve more public attention.

James

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow