Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dayton In Wall Audio Splitter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 11:05 AM

I am looking for a very inexpensive surround sound system for whole house audio. I have tentatively ordered this system from PE and wanted to get feedback from those who have used it. I am going to be powering it through a spare HK AV525. Will I need any additional amplification? I do not plan to run all the speakers in all rooms at the same time. According to the wiring diagram given on PE's website, I ran two sets of 14/2 speaker wire from the homerun location to each volume control and from each volume control, I ran speaker wire to each speaker.

This will be located at the homerun location:
http://www.partsexpr....number=300-542

These are the recommended volume controls:
http://www.partsexpr....number=300-548

I am not looking for hometheater quality sound here, I have another system for that, just for background music in different rooms of the house.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 11:09 AM

I've used those connectors and volume controls and have been very happy with them

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 11:14 AM

One question about them...are they very deep, do I need electrical boxes w/o backs on them?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 11:15 AM

I usually use the cheapy backless boxes anyway, they stick out the back the same as the front about an inch and a half or so

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
I usually use the cheapy backless boxes anyway...
They aren’t “cheapie,” they’re designed that way for a purpose. They’re for low-voltage applications, like the one we’re talking about here, as well as phone, networking, CATV, etc. Code only requires electrical boxes to be fully enclosed; the open-backed box, or even a framed hole in the wall, is suitable for most everything else.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 09:44 AM

you've never met a MI electrical inspector, I had to argue that they were ok for what I was doing, I use the word cheapy basically as a descriptor.