What's new

Pulling the trigger on an Infocus 4805 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys!

After much research on here and the AVS Forum for a plasma TV that I wanted I found out you can not play video games on plasma TV's, cause I want to get back into video games. Then I was reading a thread on the AVS Forum of a guy who whated a great setup for a video game system and they recomemed the X1. So then my focus shifted to a prejector and a screen. After I remembered that Infocus was a great projector company I went to there site and was looking at different projectors. I wanted something that could play wide screen DVD's, video games, and basic cable. So I found out that there is a new ScreenPlay projector coming out that will do all that I want and for not that much money which is good for my first projector. So after that I search this forum and mainly the AVS Forum about this projector. I just finished (I think as of my typing right now)the whole 93 pages of useful information about that projector. So yesterday I went to a local dealer, and a member of CEDIA to buy and have them install the projector and screen and we will be working out the specs on Monday for the install. This projector and screen will be setup in my 12x8x8 room. And I can't wait for it to be all said and done so I can get rid of my 1997 Sony 20" trinitorn tv.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like fun, are they charging you much more for the Cedia-guy install? Mine should be coming in this week, but I'll have to learn how to mount it myself. Post pics/specs of what he did so when can get some ideas. :D

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott,

I would rather pay to have them install it instead of me cause I am not good at that sort of thing. I am already thinking of questions to ask him about calibrating/marinating it so I can do it. I can't wait.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE:

They are gonna install the projector in back of the room which is 12' away from the wall. The screen will be a Da-Lite Perm-Wall 92" (45" High and 80" Wide) HDTV format Screen. I will be setting 7' from the screen. They will be running 1 Monster composite and component cable from my entertainment center to the 4805. They will also be installing a ceiling mount cause I have a ceiling fan. I might have to get new main speakers cause my Klipsch KLF-20's might be too tall. And no, If I get new speakers I WILL NOT get rid of them. Well that is all for now.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
;).. I guess 92" is the sweet spot for this projector, everyone seems to be choosing it.

btw for those interested there's a guy in Canada who makes a custom mount for the X1/X2/4805. Here's the thread at AVS. There are a tad cheaper options on ebay but this one gives you more options and can be custom made.

micah bjj

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone seems to be choosing 92" with this projector. I was thinking about doing a 106" screen. Would this be a good choice with the 4805?

Christpher_S

Stunt Coordinator

That is WAY, WAY closer to the screen than what I have seen recommended for this projector on a screen that big. Did your dealer tell you the picture will be OK with that screen size and viewing distance? I would hate to see you pay a bunch of money for installation and then find out it doesn't look good. The recommendations I've seen would have you at almost 14 feet away from a 92" screen with that projector.

-Chris

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
That is indeed waaaaay too close. I sit right next to my pj (about 9.5-10ft) and it is ALLLLLmost too close. See occasional screen door in some scenes.

Actually, it's probably not an issue if you don't rampantly abuse it. But I don't want to lead the thread off track.

But I play games on my X1 and it's awesome. Just beware projectors aren't too hot with ambient light.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator

Yes he did. I mentioned about the 2x rule and he said something like about a general rule of thumb but told me that it will look good.

I said I wanted a big picture cause that is just what I like.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
To make the image look well-integrated and not like a bunch of pixels through a screen door, it is best to sit approx. 2x the screen width with the 4805, as with any standard definition pj. I owned one of the first in the country, I've tried it.

Well, then, forget about the artifacts and enjoy. If your dealer recommended sitting ~1x screen width with the non-HD 4805, perhaps you should have him marinate it for you.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
What will be the perfect screen size for me at that distance. I would like to call them today or tomorrow before they install it cause i am supposed to give them 2 weeks notice before it gets put in which is in 2 or 3 weeks. I checked the width of the of the screen with my wall and it is 16" shy of being the full width of the wall which is not good.

Thanks for the help

Christpher_S

Stunt Coordinator
If it were me, I would be looking at doing an 80" diagonal screen and only doing a single row of seats at the back of the 12' room. It's either that or cut your screen size down to about 50".

The other option is to triple your investment in a projector to get the needed resolution at a larger screen size. (One of the HD2 machines would get you a lot closer) I ended up deciding to get a 5700 or Benq 7800 so I can have a 96" screen with the front row at about 11'. Even that is pushing the resolution of these two projectors. If I don't like the image at 11', I'll either make my back row the prime seating, or drop my screen size down to 90".

-Chris

Craig W

Second Unit

Divide 7' by 2 = 3.5'
3.5ft*12in/ft = 42in

42"w x 23.625"h

Diagonal size = 48"

You may want to go with a higher resolution projector or go with a HD RPTV if you want a larger screen. I have not seen this projector but Infocus recommends at least 2x viewing distance from screen width.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chris and Craig for you help. I am new to setting up a screen and a projector. I am gonna call them this afternoon and let them know I want to change the screen size to what Craig W gave me. Since this is my first projector I didn't want to get too much for the first time. Again thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks