Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B&W DS7 Surrounds?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   jeff.adams

jeff.adams

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 08:53 AM

Does anyone own these? Anyone heard them? I'm looking for opinions. How do they sound in monopole vs dipole modes? Anyone using them with the trigger setup?
Thanks,
Jeff

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ned

Ned

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 02:18 PM

They were designed back in the Pro-Logic days when the surround channel was band limited to 100hz-7khz. As such, you'll notice that they only have 2" drivers for the high frequencies and their performance is rather poor above 7khz. Not a great speaker for today's full-range surround content.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   jeff.adams

jeff.adams

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for the info. You said they were designed "back in the days". They are a brand new speaker that came out concurrently with the 700 series, so I don't think they are old in any way. I'm not sure what you're saying there.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Paul Gere

Paul Gere

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted July 18 2004 - 03:33 PM

Quote:
their performance is rather poor above 7khz.

B&W's specs show a range of 60hz-42khz (monopole) and 60hz-15khz (dipole) for these speakers and a frequency response of 80hz-22khz, +/- 3db for monopole, 80hz-10khz, +/-3db for dipole.

I am also interested in anyone's experience with these surrounds. Yes, I still prefer dipoles in this day of 7.1. My thought would be to use these as dipole sides and monopole rears with Nautilus mains (804, HTM-1).

Cheers,
-Paul