Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Elton John Exclusive Best Buy 4-DVD Set w/Rare Stuff!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 05:44 PM

The MGM exclusive is the latest in a series for Best Buy, which also announced at last week's VSDA tradeshow a deal for a four-disc Elton John DVD set, Dream Ticket. The set will include more than 70 songs performed at different venues by the performer.

Dream Ticket will be released this fall at Best Buy stores and www.BestBuy.com only. It will include rare performances and TV footage from his early days.

The John set follows last year's Best Buy exclusive release of The Rolling Stones' Four Flicks DVD set. The Stones set sold a whopping 100,000 copies in its first day of release.
"...when the red, red robin goes bob, bob bobbin' along..."
"...he'd kill us if he got the chance..."
"...keep your lovin' brother happy..."

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 08:41 PM

A record chain in Canada (I think) pulled all their Rolling Stones titles off the shelves in response to Best Buy getting the exclusive on the "Four Flicks" DVD (their reason was "If we're not good enough to carry that, we're not good enough to carry any of their other stuff") and now Tower Records has pulled the new Lenny Kravitz CD because copies sold at Target stores have an exclusive track not available elsewhere.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 02:10 AM

I can't wait for this Elton John set!

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 17 2004 - 04:46 AM

Quote:
...a four-disc Elton John DVD set, Dream Ticket. The set will include more than 70 songs performed at different venues by the performer. ... It will include rare performances and TV footage from his early days.
Posted Image I'm all over this set like white on rice.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Tower Records has pulled the new Lenny Kravitz CD because copies sold at Target stores have an exclusive track not available elsewhere.

Really? I didn't know that. Since I haven't bought it yet, I may have to get it at Target now. Thanks for the information!

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 05:45 AM

Any store that pulls copies to 'prove a point' is only hurting themselves in the sales department. Posted Image

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 01 2004 - 09:09 AM

Dream Ticket-- Four Destinations: Four DVD's is mostly concert footage with more than 70 songs adding up to 10 hours of material or so. The box will include previously unreleased concert footage and interviews.

One of the discs will be a concert in London with the London Symphony Orchestra (1972) while one will be from New York (2004). Another will be from Ephesus, Turkey (2001) and the last one will be an overview/retrospective of Elton John as a performer.

The cover of the set will feature an airplane, to "signify the journey Elton and his fans have taken over time," says Best Buy senior VP of entertainment Gary Arnold.

Best Buy will start selling the second week in November and at least through the 2004 holiday season.

#8 of 32 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted August 01 2004 - 03:42 PM

Any store that pulls copies to 'prove a point' is only hurting themselves in the sales department

That may be so, but how else can a smaller chain or mom and pop store express its anger and frustration than by boycotting the product? The sad part is, Best Buy is so huge that the record companies probably don't care if a few smaller chains drop their product.

I think the whole thing stinks. Just another insult added to injury in the ever-growing monopolization of the biggest corporations.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,499 posts

Posted August 01 2004 - 04:01 PM

First, Target does not have an exclusive Lenny track, at least on any copies at my store; we DO have an exclusive CD with b-sides and rarities, like we have done in the past with U2, Justin Timberlake and Bon Jovi. Most of the stuff on these compilations is just pulled from singles or import releases which Tower probably has available anyway. The Elton/Rolling Stones thing is different though. Best Buy has the rights to performances available nowhere else. Does Tower pull all the artists that Virgin promotes on their New Music Samplers? Tower just needs to make some deals that gets buyers excited and into their stores.

Now, back to Elton...has anyone seen anything on the pricepoint for this set? If it's $29.99 I say more power to them!

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted August 01 2004 - 09:08 PM

Great news about this DVD. Bad news for anyone living outside the USA, since to the best of my knowledge, BestBuy don't operate elsewhere in the world. Posted Image

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 02 2004 - 12:45 AM

I think Future Shop carries these BB exclusives as I've seen the Four Flicks set months back...

I actually better grab that this week, these exclusives sale promotions are all limited stock releases, right?

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 02 2004 - 04:43 AM

Great news about this DVD. Bad news for anyone living outside the USA, since to the best of my knowledge, BestBuy don't operate elsewhere in the world.

If you read this from my first post you'll notice that this boxed set is being sold online as well.

"Dream Ticket will be released this fall at Best Buy stores and www.BestBuy.com only. It will include rare performances and TV footage from his early days."

So, all you have to worry about is being able to play a Region 1 disc unless Best Buy manufacters discs for other regions as well. I don't know. I know the Stones Four Flicks package was R1.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted August 02 2004 - 09:39 AM

Futureshop should have it in Canada as they carried the Stones set and are owned by Best Buy.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 02 2004 - 10:07 AM

Bestbuy.com doesn't do international shipping. Neither does Future Shop.
My Collection

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 02 2004 - 11:44 AM

Update:

Picked up 'Four Flicks' this afternoon at Future Shop for $40 Can. flat. they will definitely carry the Elton John exclusive as well...

Posted Image

Btw, was that Rolling Stones set considered out-of-print or do these Best Buy / Future Shop offers recieve continual stock?

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 02 2004 - 10:21 PM

Can this Elton John set be preordered now through
BestBuy?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 12:47 AM

Can this Elton John set be preordered now through
BestBuy?

Ron, I've seen no mention of it on their web site at all so far. I believe the Stones set showed up as a pre-order a month or so before its release date so I expect the same for this one. I'll keep checking and post an update here.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 01:13 AM

For international customers, the Rolling Stones' Four Filcks DVD Set is available here at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co....705957-6539361

They started selling this after about a three month exclusive window through Best Buy. Hopefully, they will do the same for the Elton John set.

BTW, you'll notice that the Stones set isn't ready to go into your shopping cart but you can order it at http://www.amazon.co....679168-9364417 and http://www.amazon.co....283318-9940225 where you'll find both the region 1 and a region 2 version for sale.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 10:26 AM

If you go to this link you'll see that Best Buy has Dream Ticket in their system but if you click on the link on that page all you'll get is the message below:

http://www.bestbuy.c....equestid=54658

"The page you requested can't be accessed right now, or it no longer exists.

Please use your browser's BACK or REFRESH button,
or go to the home page."

At least it's there and we have a release date of Novemeber 9th, 2004.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 02:31 PM

Update:

This Elton John DVD can now be pre-ordered from Best Buy here:

http://www.bestbuy.c....&skuId=6800232

for $34.99 with free shipping and handling.

Forum Nav Content I Follow