What's new

MGM -- quietly downgrading special editions (1 Viewer)

Joshua_W

Second Unit
From DavisDVD...

It looks like MGM is quietly stripping features from the "Special Edition" DVDs when they receive price reductions.

Titles listed include: Bowling for Columbine, Bull Durham, Jeepers Creepers, Legally Blonde, The Sure Thing, Thelma and Lousie, and Valley Girl.

Be warned that they're removing special features but keeping the UPC code intact, so if you order one of these special editions online, you may get the stripped version instead.

But they're keeping the pan and scan versions on the DVDs when both were included.

:thumbsdown: to MGM.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It sounds just like Columbia, but with removing special features instead of the Widescreen side like Columbia does. Now I am really worried that CTHE will get the MGM library since they both seem to have similar business models.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Has this already gone into effect? I really want to get Bowling for Columbine, but I don't want to miss out on the extras.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

Yes, a number of these new editions are on store shelves, often mixed in with the true special editions. I don't know when BFC's price cut takes effect, but I wouldn't expect the new versions of that one to hit the shelves until it takes effect. If you act quickly, you should probably be able to find all of these older SEs still on store shelves.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, what's the point of this??? While it's not as bad as removing the actual movie (like Columbia), it still doesn't seem fair. Valley Girl's been out for less than a year fergawdsakes! (Will they at least reinstate the missing Men At Work song on the reissue?)
Oh well, someone will be glad to sell illegal copies of the missing extras for those who still want them.
They should at least mark them as "Limited Editions" if they're going to pull this crap a few months later.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I think this is one of the crappiest stunts yet. :frowning: No sale for me :)

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry to say that MGM pulled this stunt on "It's A Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World" as well.
HEY MGM! I would rather pay $14.99 for the special feature edition. I don't want your $9.99 bare-bones edition! Can you hear me?
Bill Parisho

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
This is just so idiotic. Once they have the master, it actually would cost them money to remaster it to have a stripped down version, all to sell it cheaper.

Why why why? MGM is run by buffoons, it would seem.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Valley Girl SE and The Sure Thing SE are part of this week's 3/$20 sale at Best Buy. I guess now (as in today) is the time to buy, if you want those editions. On a tangentially related note, Best Buy also has many of the OAR discs (for $5.99) that Wal-Mart now carries only in MAR.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Do the stripped-down versions have fewer discs than the originals? If not, then I also don't see how this saves them any money.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The stripped down versions are one-sided versions of things that were originally two-sided. I doubt they're paying royalties on the special features, so this is just a manufacturing savings. Anyone know the difference in cost between printing a DVD-9 and a DVD-14? I'm guessing it's well under a dollar.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I ordered this a few weeks ago from DVD Pacific, and it was still a special edition. The only confusing thing was that for some reason the ROM extras were missing (Teacher's Guide and Mike's Action Guide).

Chris

JackKay

Second Unit
I thought that this breakdown from Daily Variety (12/24/03) would be of interest:

Homevid Economics 2002

VHS
Average wholesale price $12
Costs:
Marketing $2.75
Duplication $2.25
Packaging $0.75
Distribution $0.90

Total $6.65

Video Gross
Profit/Unit $5.35

DVD
Average wholesale price $16
Costs:
Marketing $2.75
Duplication $1.00
Packaging $0.90
Distribution $0.80

Total $5.45

DVD Gross
Profit/Unit $10.55

Source: Jessica Reif Cohen, Merril Lynch

Now, seeing that this is from a late last year Variety these Averages were probably from the most recent statistics covering the 2002 year. I have a feeling by now profits have most likely improved.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
If this is going to happen to The Sure Thing, I recommend buying it now. It is one of my favourite movies and I love the special features. For the price I got it for, it's the best DVD purchase I ever made.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What exactly is different about Bowling for Columbine's supposedly stripped down re-release vs. the original version?

I bought BfC during the $7.99 sale at Circuit City a week or so ago. Is this the messed with version? It still has two discs and says it's the special edition with widescreen transfer. Did I make it under the wire?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks