Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Monster" vs. "Aileen": which to watch first?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 03:04 PM

I just got both Monster and Aileen: Portrait of a Killer and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which to watch first. When I rented Party Monster I watched The Shockumentary version first (which I loved). When I watched the movie version, I was quite disappointed, despite the storyline covering alot of the same ground and having heard so many positive reviews of the film. Any thoughts on this?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 04:01 PM

I saw Monster first and recommend that order, which also has the advantage of chronology. In the documentary, you see Wuornos years after the events depicted in Monster.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 02:41 AM

I'd say MONSTER first. Once you see AILEEN, MONSTER will lose all impact. I can't imagine watching it after.

As good a job as Theron does, she is no match for the real thing, who is even scarier. The final interview she gives to Nick Broomfield in the documentary is one of the scariest moments you are ever likely to see.

MONSTER was somewhat overrated as a film. Theron is good, but the film isn't anything special, especially if you followed the case at all.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 10:42 AM

Thanks guys...I sorta thought that would be the way to go, especially after my experience with Party Monster. So it's Monster tonight!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Zack_H

Zack_H

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 03:33 PM

You already made your decision, but ill still chime in. I agree with the 2 guys above, Monster first. Aileen is a great follow up Posted Image

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 02:35 AM

If you really want the full effect, the proper order is:

Monster

Aileen Wuornos: The Selling Of A Serial Killer - The 1992 Interviews (1992)

Aileen: Life And Death Of A Serial Killer (2003)

That will give you the full effect... Some of Aileen: Life and Death refers to things in the Aileen: Selling of

Dugger

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 10:48 AM

Aileen Wuornos: The Selling Of A Serial Killer - The 1992 Interviews (1992)

Is this available on DVD?