Jump to content

Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Info wanted for Canon Rebel G underwater housing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

    Supporting Actor

  • 781 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969

Posted July 14 2004 - 09:52 AM

Hello folks. I am a diver and would like to get a underwater housing for my Rebel G SLR film camera. Not a lot of knowledge in this area, so would appreciate any help. Thanks.

My Collection

#2 of 4 ManW_TheUncool



  • 5,816 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 18 2001
  • Real Name:ManW

Posted July 14 2004 - 12:31 PM

Not sure if anyone can offer a better option, but you can try Sea & Sea or Ikelite for one. However, unless they actually offer different housings for film vs digital, be prepared to pay way more than you might expect. Typically, they charge way more for their housing for a particular camera body than the camera body itself. So for the Digital Rebel, it might be ~$1.5K. For my Nikon D70, I believe Sea & Sea has one for ~$2K. And that's just for the body itself, not the lens, external flash, etc.

Check out your most likely options over at B&H's site:


Here's one I spotted there:


BTW, I don't actually know anything about underwater photography. This is just stuff I recall seeing mentioned over in DPReview.


Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 4 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

    Executive Producer

  • 10,271 posts
  • Join Date: May 09 2002
  • Real Name:Cameron Yee
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 20 2004 - 03:53 AM

I'm have the same level of knowledge, but you can also check Ewa Marine products. These aren't hard housings but heavy duty bags that are sized for types of cameras. May be cheaper than getting a specific housing for a specific model.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#4 of 4 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

    Supporting Actor

  • 781 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969

Posted July 22 2004 - 04:42 AM

Thanks, folks. Looks like I'd be farther ahead buying a whole unit designed for underwater photography. I know there are housings for Canon digital cameras that are in the 300 dollar range, and a good 5 mp camera can be had for about 500 - so that's a whole lot cheaper than some of the options I'm seeing. Thanks again.

My Collection