What's new

DOOM III: Gold news & Half Life 2 min req. (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
What's the min requirements for Doom?

Half Life 2 needing a 2.4(and you know that that's the real min requirements when that's what Valve will play at). That's crazy. Well, at the very least, I have the bare min.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Ugh, and I was just getting into UT2004. Oh well, I *know* when Doom 3 comes out, I will be hooked.

Hey, will Doom 3 require 5 FREAKING CD's to install like UT?! WTF?

James T

Screenwriter

That's what I'm considering as well. I don't exactly have a beast for a PC, but it's good enough for most games that come out(P4 1.7 512MB Ti4200 8x), but I may just wait for the consoles, even if it means missing out on some of the mods.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

:confused:

Uhm. Ohhh kayyyy. That makes complete sense.

Glad to see this game is finally being released. I was thinking how cool it would be to have the original game available on the disc as an unlockable.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I will be getting the PC version since it's a milestone in video game history even though my computer can't handle it. The XBOX version also has a exclusive online co-op mode so thats one more reason to get it too. The XBOX version will be coming out on October 4.

-Mike

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Where did you get the Oct 4th date for the Xbox version? All I've been reading is that they still have some major stuff to do on it and they can't say if it will even come out this year. This was from the CNN interview with id CEO Todd Hollenshead this week announcing that the PC version went Gold.

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator

I'm so surprised/shocked to hear this from people. I consider myself a Quake junkie. But it's not Vanilla Quake I'm addicted to (meaning, the version released by 'id'), it's the mods.
id software time and time again releases a great engine along with excellent Network code. Mod makers always seem to make the most fun games outa there work. Way to mods to mention, but I've yet to finish either quake 1 or 2 (I finished q3 one night when dsl was down).
I remember getting home with them, launching 1st map, setting my settings, and on-line only after that.
Today, I'm currently playing Enemy Territory, which fits the criteria of a "mod". It's made by a group, it's free, it uses Quake engine.

I'm not trying to bash the Xbox version, but if you have a choice, why wouldn't you choose PC. The Xbox version will have co-op play where pc does not. But thats all it will ever be. There will be Doom3 mods coming out at various times over the next 1,2,3... years. You won't be playing any of them on Xbox.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Mods are one area where a PC will always KILL the console versions. I am surprised with the HD on an XBOX that game makers have not allowed modding of games. Imagine how cool it would be on the XBOX version of Doom to make your own maps on a PC then port them to your box? or skins, etc? Just drooling thinking about Halo 2 with user created maps and add ons. Drool.....drool...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Morgan-I'm waiting for the Xbox version. Still holding steady with my p4 1.6 (clocked to 2.1) and my radeon 7500. Given that I don't really play PC games anymore (the last one was Morrowind), I don't really see myself upgrading for Doom3. I spent enough on all of the consoles-I can't afford to keep my PC at the bleeding edge too...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
From what I saw at E3 the lower resolution for the Xbox version shows. That could change as they finish it but there's only so much you can do.

The sound will probably be the best advantage the Xbox version has over the PC version. And from all those early reviews, the sound is incredibly engrossing. Playing in a darkened livingroom with a nice HT setup sounds (no pun intended) pretty good to me.

But I gotta get the PC version, love that high res.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
All you have to do is drag your PC out to the living room and get it to run on your HT setup.
Since my Infocus X1 is 800x600 native, I guess that's a little easier for me than most people :D

I haven't played a PC game in ages beyond Baldur's Gate II (and recently C&C Generals). And I only really play FPS much as multiplayer - I agree with the comment above about installing the game and almost never playing it single player. But the single player looks like it would be worth playing once :D

Still, I don't have anywhere near the hardware necessary to play this (Athlon 1800+, Radeon 8500). I'm hoping to do an upgrade later this year to catch up (it's been a few years, after all).

I'm not in too much of a hurry for an upgrade, since I'm really waiting for the multiplayer mods!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Not to be rude, but seeing as how this is a videoGAME, one would hope that it's more than just a lot of really pretty graphics. That said, the lower resolution on the X-Box shouldn't be that big of a deal if the game is still fun to play.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I need to upgrade anyway, but I'm dirt poor right now. I'm currently running an Athlon 1900xp w/1GB of PC2700 Corsair and a Radeon 9700pro. I'm sure that will be enough to eek something out at 800x600 (or if I'm desperate for more FPS 640x480). Either way, I'll see how it runs and then worry about upgrading. I keep reading all the wackies over at Anandtech that are about to spend $500 on an upgrade for a $50 game before they play it. I think I'll see if I like the game first ;)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure which version of Doom III to get - Xbox or PC. I have a Dell laptop with a 2.2 Pentium 4, 512 RAM, and an Nvidia 64MB video card. I am able to play "Far Cry" on the low resoultion settings and it looks pretty good(which I perceive as being roughly Xbox quality). I'm not sure which version will look and run better, given my system specs. I do have my Xbox hooked up to a great 5.1 surround system, however, I have no interest in the multiplayer aspect of the game. Your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks