-

Photo
- - - - -

DOOM III: Gold news & Half Life 2 min req.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#1 of 130 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 09:35 AM

Doom III:
Quote:
id CEO Todd Hollenshead has announced Doom 3 is gold, set to be out for retailers on August 3 as we reported first and at all stores by August 5, though some earlier. Enjoy!

Yes, this is the official word that DOOM 3 has been code released and has been approved for manufacturing! It won't be long now until the anticipation ends and the PH34R begins ;-) We literally just hung up with Activision and have confirmed that our latest release candidate has been mutually approved and is finally GOLD. Thanks to everyone for their patience (yeah right! =) and for everyone at id, Activision and our numerous partners for helping us create what I believe is absolutely the best game we have ever made.

So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with your local retailer for that information.
Half Life 2:
Quote:
The basic specs will require you to have a 1.2Ghz processor, 256Mb of RAM and a DirectX 7 enabled graphics card, although to really enjoy the bells & whistles of the game Valve recommends a 2.4Ghz processor, 512Mb of RAM and a DirectX 9 card.

Earlier Valve has claimed that Half-Life 2 would be playable on really minimalistic system specs (700mhz cpu, TNT2 gfx card), but apparently those were aimed a bit low, although the revised minimum specs are still on the low end of the gaming spectrum.
http://ve3d.ign.com/#530210 Hurry up!

#2 of 130 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 10:03 AM

PC Gamer reviewed Doom 3 this month. 94%

#3 of 130 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 02:15 PM

What's the min requirements for Doom?

Half Life 2 needing a 2.4(and you know that that's the real min requirements when that's what Valve will play at). That's crazy. Well, at the very least, I have the bare min.

#4 of 130 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 02:50 PM

Got this from avs regarding D3:

Quote:
From Futuremark forums
Yeah, I was lucky enough to receive my copy today, so I'll share it with you guys.

1. 6800 is a tad faster than X800 cards. Both run it in full glory

2. The game has four render paths: NV10, NV20, R200, and ARB2. All paths look awesome, even down to a g4mx, but the ARB2 path is the "full package," and is used for the R300+ and Geforce FX+ cards. It does all it's fancy **** in one pass.

3. PCI Express enhances NOTHING.

4. The difference between a 128mb and 256mb card is that the former uses compressed textures whereas the latter only compresses diffuse and specualr maps. In another words, no big deal. However, a 500mb card is needed to run the game in Ultra Quality mode.

5. 512MB is the ideal system total memory. 384 is required, 1GB is nice, but the difference is negligible.

6. Nothing special is included for a 64-bit OS.

7. A 1.5 Ghz processor is the least recommended, but a 2Ghz and above will help since...

8...The sound engine is entirely CPU dependant. Therefore a crappy soundcard works flawlessly. Not to worry, the enfine only uses a "small percentage of cycles, much less than if the engine relied on a soundcard.

9. The only reccommendation regarding faster framerates is to disable to "advanced special effects option." In other words, upgrade if you have problems.

10. They tie it up by providing three levels of "Doom lovin' PC's"

Low-End:
1.5GhzP4 or equivalent
512MB Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4800 or Radeon 9500

Mid-Range:
2.4GhzP4 or equivalent
1GB RAM
Geforce5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

High_End: Aka Hardware that doesn't exist, but best guess anyway
3.4GhzP4 or AMD equivalent
2GB RAM
GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT PE.

In conclusion, the game will run well on a variety of hardware, and Rob Duffy, the lead programmer, says that the game looks real good no matter what, and that it will continue to look better as hardware improves. Like all previous id engines, we'll be playing games based on D3 for another five years down the road.

Enjoy everybody!

#5 of 130 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,144 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 03:03 PM

Crap! I only have a Radeon 9200. Oh well, I might as well just wait for the X-Box version.

#6 of 130 OFFLINE   Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 05:39 PM

Ugh, and I was just getting into UT2004. Oh well, I *know* when Doom 3 comes out, I will be hooked.

Hey, will Doom 3 require 5 FREAKING CD's to install like UT?! WTF?

#7 of 130 OFFLINE   DarrenHo

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 07:51 PM

i hear it will be a 4 cd game. no dvd either.

#8 of 130 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 10:00 PM

Quote:
Oh well, I might as well just wait for the X-Box version

That's what I'm considering as well. I don't exactly have a beast for a PC, but it's good enough for most games that come out(P4 1.7 512MB Ti4200 8x), but I may just wait for the consoles, even if it means missing out on some of the mods.

#9 of 130 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
2. The game has four render paths: NV10, NV20, R200, and ARB2. All paths look awesome, even down to a g4mx, but the ARB2 path is the "full package," and is used for the R300+ and Geforce FX+ cards. It does all it's fancy **** in one pass.

Posted Image

Uhm. Ohhh kayyyy. That makes complete sense.

Glad to see this game is finally being released. I was thinking how cool it would be to have the original game available on the disc as an unlockable.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#10 of 130 OFFLINE   Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 06:06 AM

I will be getting the PC version since it's a milestone in video game history even though my computer can't handle it. The XBOX version also has a exclusive online co-op mode so thats one more reason to get it too. The XBOX version will be coming out on October 4.

-Mike

#11 of 130 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 07:17 AM

Where did you get the Oct 4th date for the Xbox version? All I've been reading is that they still have some major stuff to do on it and they can't say if it will even come out this year. This was from the CNN interview with id CEO Todd Hollenshead this week announcing that the PC version went Gold.

#12 of 130 OFFLINE   Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 05:45 PM

Quote:
I don't exactly have a beast for a PC, but it's good enough for most games that come out(P4 1.7 512MB Ti4200 8x), but I may just wait for the consoles, even if it means missing out on some of the mods.

I'm so surprised/shocked to hear this from people. I consider myself a Quake junkie. But it's not Vanilla Quake I'm addicted to (meaning, the version released by 'id'), it's the mods.
id software time and time again releases a great engine along with excellent Network code. Mod makers always seem to make the most fun games outa there work. Way to mods to mention, but I've yet to finish either quake 1 or 2 (I finished q3 one night when dsl was down).
I remember getting home with them, launching 1st map, setting my settings, and on-line only after that.
Today, I'm currently playing Enemy Territory, which fits the criteria of a "mod". It's made by a group, it's free, it uses Quake engine.

I'm not trying to bash the Xbox version, but if you have a choice, why wouldn't you choose PC. The Xbox version will have co-op play where pc does not. But thats all it will ever be. There will be Doom3 mods coming out at various times over the next 1,2,3... years. You won't be playing any of them on Xbox.
"When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the Master."

#13 of 130 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 07:30 PM

Mods are one area where a PC will always KILL the console versions. I am surprised with the HD on an XBOX that game makers have not allowed modding of games. Imagine how cool it would be on the XBOX version of Doom to make your own maps on a PC then port them to your box? or skins, etc? Just drooling thinking about Halo 2 with user created maps and add ons. Drool.....drool...
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#14 of 130 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 01:33 AM

I'm with Morgan-I'm waiting for the Xbox version. Still holding steady with my p4 1.6 (clocked to 2.1) and my radeon 7500. Given that I don't really play PC games anymore (the last one was Morrowind), I don't really see myself upgrading for Doom3. I spent enough on all of the consoles-I can't afford to keep my PC at the bleeding edge too...
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#15 of 130 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 05:29 AM

Quote:
The XBOX version will be coming out on October 4.

Wow, I've only heard fall. What's your source on the October date?

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash the Xbox version, but if you have a choice, why wouldn't you choose PC.

Because my PC is not hooked up to my 65 inch HD television. Posted Image

Here's a hands on review of the X-box version of Doom 3 from E3.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#16 of 130 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 07:46 AM

From what I saw at E3 the lower resolution for the Xbox version shows. That could change as they finish it but there's only so much you can do.

The sound will probably be the best advantage the Xbox version has over the PC version. And from all those early reviews, the sound is incredibly engrossing. Playing in a darkened livingroom with a nice HT setup sounds (no pun intended) pretty good to me.

But I gotta get the PC version, love that high res.

#17 of 130 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 08:40 AM

All you have to do is drag your PC out to the living room and get it to run on your HT setup.
Since my Infocus X1 is 800x600 native, I guess that's a little easier for me than most people Posted Image

I haven't played a PC game in ages beyond Baldur's Gate II (and recently C&C Generals). And I only really play FPS much as multiplayer - I agree with the comment above about installing the game and almost never playing it single player. But the single player looks like it would be worth playing once Posted Image

Still, I don't have anywhere near the hardware necessary to play this (Athlon 1800+, Radeon 8500). I'm hoping to do an upgrade later this year to catch up (it's been a few years, after all).

I'm not in too much of a hurry for an upgrade, since I'm really waiting for the multiplayer mods!
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#18 of 130 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,144 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 03:24 PM

Not to be rude, but seeing as how this is a videoGAME, one would hope that it's more than just a lot of really pretty graphics. That said, the lower resolution on the X-Box shouldn't be that big of a deal if the game is still fun to play.

#19 of 130 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 08:43 PM

I need to upgrade anyway, but I'm dirt poor right now. I'm currently running an Athlon 1900xp w/1GB of PC2700 Corsair and a Radeon 9700pro. I'm sure that will be enough to eek something out at 800x600 (or if I'm desperate for more FPS 640x480). Either way, I'll see how it runs and then worry about upgrading. I keep reading all the wackies over at Anandtech that are about to spend $500 on an upgrade for a $50 game before they play it. I think I'll see if I like the game first Posted Image
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#20 of 130 OFFLINE   Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted July 17 2004 - 09:28 AM

I'm not sure which version of Doom III to get - Xbox or PC. I have a Dell laptop with a 2.2 Pentium 4, 512 RAM, and an Nvidia 64MB video card. I am able to play "Far Cry" on the low resoultion settings and it looks pretty good(which I perceive as being roughly Xbox quality). I'm not sure which version will look and run better, given my system specs. I do have my Xbox hooked up to a great 5.1 surround system, however, I have no interest in the multiplayer aspect of the game. Your thoughts?
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow