Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Components for a 1999 Civic EX coupe

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Guest_Andrew_A_Paul_*

Guest_Andrew_A_Paul_*

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:33 AM

I have a Alpine CDA-9805 HU (HU), I still have the factory Honda components in front (tweeters mounted top of door by mirror). I want to replace the front components, but not sure what to get. I will only be powering these from the Alpine HU (for now), so I'd like something that will still sound good just off the HU power. I spose if I have do give a price range I'd say under $200. Any suggestions? Anyone have a '99 EX that they have replaced the factory speakers? I'm a little concerned about space with the magnet and my window rolling down, will this be an issue with many brands, or just a few?

I will not be be powering the rear 6X9 at all, but in the future I will most likely add an amp for the front components. I appreciate any input and suggestions you guys have, Thanks.

EDIT: Is it worth getting new components without an amp, or should I just wait till I can afford both?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 10:59 AM

I had a '97 that I put eclipse components in the front, adding the speakers will help and when you can get an amp it will sound even better

#3 of 7 Guest_Andrew_A_Paul_*

Guest_Andrew_A_Paul_*

Posted July 14 2004 - 12:47 PM

Do I need to worry about under powering components just running from the head unit? I know that the HU will probably only produce 18W or so continuous.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   DarrenHo

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 02:08 PM

no problem "under powering" speakers as long as you don't turn up the volume to high and distort the sound too much.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 03:21 PM

exactly, don't worry just turn it down when it makes funny sounds

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   David.G

David.G

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 02:55 AM

wow, i wouldn't do that. even low end components take 50RMS to run. You're going to run both a woofer and a tweet off a weak 18RMS( knowing Alpine its closer to 15)it wouldn't sound good at all. If i were you i'd just replace the tweet to a better one(maybe silk). Factory component sets will have a better time running off the factory HU than aftermarket component sets. Just switching out tweets won't should be ok. Aftermarket woofers though are totally different than stock woofers and will need more power to run. Even my crap Pioneer components needed 35RMS to make a noticable difference over stock.
David is the car audio guy, Jason is the home audio so if you see a post in car audio thats David, if in Home thats more than likely Jason. Confusing isn't it!!! Also i hope i am allowed to put my sounddomain down on my equipment page. Its car audio but you guys might enjoy it.

http://members.sou...

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 11:27 AM

at low volume you are only using about 10 watts anyway, it all depends on what volume you listen at (if your speakers need 50 watts to work there is something wrong with them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users