What's new

How can the Laser Light go around corners? (1 Viewer)

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
So I'm sure most people have seen the infomercials for the Laser Level that you stick on a wall to help you hang pictures, or whatever. Towards the end of the commercial they say its beam even goes around corners. Anyone have one? How can a laser beam go around a corner without a mirror?

Edit: It's called the Laser Level, not Laser Light :b

This story says it can only go "around" inside corners, not outside corners which makes sense. But I'm pretty sure I remember the commercial showing it around an outside corner because there was a lightswitch on each side.

JimmyM

Grip
There's fine print at the bottom of the ad that says you have to aim it directly at the corner. So, basically, it's splitting the laser beam and sending it in both directions.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a link to a product description page? I would like to read about it, my coworkers and myself were disscussing this the other day. We can see how it can appear to go "around" and inside corner (due to the divergence of the Laser Diode beam), but we do not see how it can even claim to go around outside corner. I would just like a page where I can read the products statements and see if they have examples.

Is this the same Laser Level that touts "the latest refractive lens technology?" All the lenses I have ever dealt with are refractive. That would like saying "the latest reflective mirror technology"

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
JimmyM already gave the answer guys. In the commercial, they are pointing it straight at the corner from behind the camera. The laser is hitting the all corner and splitting in both directions.

Not a practicle use of the laser in my opinion.

Lee L

Supporting Actor

I beg to differ. Every office building built in the last 10-15 years has had a beefer version of more or less that same thing used to install the ceiling grid level. Lasers are used to dig footings to uniform depth, serve as a reference point for large scale earthwork (ever see a device on a tripod connected to a car battery near heavy equipment?), used to run large plumbing and storm drainage pipes and many other things. Basically anything in construction that depends on finding a level line across any distance over 6 feet uses lasers of some kind most of the time now. Go to http://www.davidwhite.com and click on construction lasers.

Then, think of adding a precision GPS receiver (one that is much more precise than anything you can buy in most stores) to a laser and the possibilities are mind boggling http://www.trimble.com/construction.shtml Oh yeah, you can hook this stuff to a bulldozer.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well it is well-known that light is bent by a gravitational field. So what the makers of the levels have done is include a few small black-holes in the kit. Wearing safety gloves, you move the black-holes into position near the corners you wish the light to bend at.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Lee's correct, whenever I've seen construction guys in our flooring company lay down underlayment or prepping for tiles, or backsplash which is a good amount in length, these lil laser devices are invaluable. However, never bothered to read the fine print on the ads. What a shame, and here I was thinking for 20 bucks I would be buying some sorta magic laser device.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

I wasn't talking about the use of the laser level in general. I think they are great to use and have one myself. I was referring to what all would have to be done to set the laser line level up to point exactly at the corner to get it to "bend around the corner." That seems to be more trouble than what it is worth.

:)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

These are the same gloves you get with the Ron Popeill's rotisserie oven ! Quite handy... Use them for cooking, laser levelling, even with my Thighmaster and Pocket Fisherman ! I am now making 1,587 easy monthly payments of $19.99. Gawd, I love cable !!!!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, no. Those are regular gloves. The ones Dennis referred to have an anti-matter coating.

Cees

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You guys have it ALL wrong. The laser uses a Salsa/Silica combination to go around corners. What you do is fill the laser level with a small quantity of salsa and then place a piece of Silica around the corner out of the laser's sight. The 'Salsa laced' beam then shoots out of the laser level and seeks out the Silica, going around inside and outside corners in the process.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I am very sure that these are the very same gloves that come with the gutter flush buster cleaning kit.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Odd. In that case they cannot handle black holes.
Perhaps this device is based on an Enhanced Heisenberg Uncertainty (EHU). As a result of Heisenberg's laws some minor part of the laser light will always travel around a corner. By carefully enhancing this effect, increasing the relative certainty, more particles will take the route around the corner.

This also means that, when a cat is sitting around the corner, nothing happens until a human observer watches the laser light, in which case the cat will instantaneously be dead.

Cees

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It could have been a diffractive lens or a GRIN lens (which is still refractive). And the refractive lens could be glass or plastic, spherical or aspheric.

But yes, "refractive" in that context is likely just to make it sound more high-tech, and thus more attractive to the optically illiterate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks