Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Obscure TV product that you would like to see on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#21 of 176 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:07 AM

Philip Marlowe, Private Eye - This was a great HBO original series that aired during the mid-80's with Powers Boothe in the title role. There were only 11 episodes produced, one season with six segments and one season with five segments (I'm thinking the five-episode season aired first), but the production quality was really top-notch, and Boothe was quite believable as Marlowe. I would love to see this series as a complete series package on DVD, maybe with a new retrospective commentary by Boothe on the episodes, bringing Raymond Chandler's character to life, etc.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#22 of 176 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:14 AM

Another vote for Dinosaurs

Beauty and the Beast - Ron Perlman / Linda Hamilton

Ralph Bakshi's New Adventures of Mighty Mouse
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#23 of 176 OFFLINE   AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:19 AM

I agree with Police Squad and Ripping Yarns. I'd also like to see "Maximum Bob," an Elmore Leonard miniseries from a few years ago.

"Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman", "Fernwood 2Nite" and "Forever Fernwood" -- not really obscure, but unlikely to be on DVD anytime soon.

A really good collection of early 80's music videos, focusing on stuff up to about 1985. In fact, I'd like to see a boxed set that includes all of MTV's first 24 hours on the air, complete with all videos and commercials, "I want my MTV" spots and so forth.

"Here Comes the Grump," the very first cartoon I ever remember seeing.

More classic commercials, building on the Madacy "Classic Commercials" set...focusing on both prime-time and Saturday morning commercials from the 70's. I'd also like to see some of the local New York City commercials that aired on the superstations during the daytime back then...stuff like Crazy Eddie, Apex Tech, the Albert Merrill School, those anti-pollution PSA's, etc.

#24 of 176 OFFLINE   Ben Silva

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:27 AM

There was a sitcom in the late 80s about a family who had a robot named Vicky and the treated her as one of their daughters. For the life of me I can't remember the title though.
He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people? - Touch of Evil

My DVD Collection

#25 of 176 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:29 AM

I'd love to see VAMPIRE as well as the CLIFFHANGERS series.

I'd even settle for the two TV "movies" (WORLD OF DRACULA and LOVES OF DRACULA) edited fron the DRACULA serial that aired as part of CLIFFHANGERS. These used to air on TV a lot, but not in recent years.

#26 of 176 OFFLINE   AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
There was a sitcom in the late 80s about a family who had a robot named Vicky and the treated her as one of their daughters. For the life of me I can't remember the title though.

Small Wonder.

#27 of 176 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:43 AM

Peter Fitzgerald wrote (post #20):

WAY OUT (1961, horror anthology) current owner unknown.

According to the researchers at the Museum of Television and Radio History in New York in a communication to me a couple of years ago, the rights rest with David Susskind's son who controls them through his company Pamadisam (I believe) in Los Angeles. Good luck getting a reply from them.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#28 of 176 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:44 AM

Quote:

Small Wonder
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#29 of 176 OFFLINE   Ben Silva

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 06:49 AM

Thanks Andrew and Tory that was going to bother me all day.
He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people? - Touch of Evil

My DVD Collection

#30 of 176 OFFLINE   peggy

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 07:08 AM

I was going to say Crazy like a Fox and Blacke's Magic but someone has already mentioned those. I got into both of those shows to late to see all the episodes and was sorry I missed them. Another show that I loved was The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. and I hope that someday it will make it out to dvd.

#31 of 176 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 14 2004 - 07:13 AM

Oh yeah The Adventures of Brisco County Jr, add that to my list too plus Crazy Like a Fox, The Scarecrow and Mrs. King and Jack of All Trades

Oh and there was a show about Sea Monkeys...

#32 of 176 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Streethawk: Mid-80's action-adventure show (Think "Knight Rider" with a motorcycle.)
Is that the one with Rex Smith, who used to be on "Solid Gold"?

Yup ... that was him. Posted Image

That bike had EVERYTHING: missiles, a laser, a 50-calibre machine gun ... you name it! Posted Image

It could go 300 mph (Funny thing ... there were never any cars on the street when Streethawk was on patrol. Posted Image )

I was twelve when it first aired (It goes without saying that I thought it kicked a** back then. :wink: ) It would no doubt be considered somewhat cheesy today. Posted Image

GREAT Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Posted Image

#33 of 176 OFFLINE   Eric Daniel

Eric Daniel

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 07:46 AM

OK!
I love this!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Mothers In Law: As good as Lucy ANY day. Same writers. Brilliant cast of Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard.

2. Courtship of Eddie's Father: We need this kind of loving environment SO MUCH now...

3. Family Affair: Same as above... What Heart

4.I'll Fly Away: It's about how we ALL need to get along in the world

5. Love, Sidney: This was the FIRST to lead the world to see gay people as loving human beings. Tony Randall was incredible.

6. MARY TYLER MOORE...geeezzz people! Where IS it!?!?!?

#34 of 176 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 09:04 AM

Twelve O'Clock High
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

#35 of 176 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 09:16 AM

Three short-lived sitcoms from the '60s:

- Camp Runamuck
- Rango
- Captain Nice

#36 of 176 OFFLINE   Brian_L_Kleis

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 10:16 AM

Almost just to get a friend off my back about these series, has anybody heard anything remotely positive about either "KIDS Incorporated" or "Kid Video" ?

I DO know they're two different series, just happened to both be "Kid..." something...
"...and like that... ...I was gone" Keyser257

#37 of 176 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 10:40 AM

I saw several episodes of "The Mothers in Law" when a low power station aired them a few years back.

As good as Lucy? I can't agree there. Maybe as good as "Here's Lucy" late in the run....better than "Life with Lucy" maybe!

Posted Image

#38 of 176 OFFLINE   Randi

Randi

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 11:07 AM

I would love to see on DVD:

Michael Nesmith in Television Parts This was such an unfunny show it is amazing. Yet it is the talent that could get it released- Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Leno, Whoopi Goldberg, Garry Shandling. Only ran for about 7 eps on NBC in the mid-80s.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father nuff said! I love Bill Bixby.

The Magician ditto!

Down to Earth an original sitcom on TBS about Ethel, a flapper from the 20s who gets sent to modern day Earth (well okay, the 80s) to earn her wings. At least I think that is how it went.

that is all I can think of...

Miss Randi

#39 of 176 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 14 2004 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
Almost just to get a friend off my back about these series, has anybody heard anything remotely positive about either "KIDS Incorporated" or "Kid Video" ?

Dang, I thought I listed Kidd Video, but I guess I missed it. I think it could have a chance for a release like C.O.P.S., the Littles, Pro-Stars, and Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors from DiC but it may have legal problems with the music used.

#40 of 176 OFFLINE   Daniel Calleja

Daniel Calleja

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 02:01 PM

I would love to see a short-lived British sitcom called Filthy Rich and Catflap. It ran for six episodes and starred Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmondson and Nigel Planer. I caught a few episodes on pay TV but I've been unable to find it anywhere on video.

I had hoped it would find its way onto DVD as the first episode of FTaC was included as a special feature on the Bottom collection.

I'd also like to see Da Ali G Show in whole series sets rather than the "best of" collections that are out there.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow