Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Obscure TV product that you would like to see on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#1 of 176 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 02:45 PM

There a several television titles (TV shows or movies)that I would really like to see on DVD but because they are so obscure...they are not likely to be addressed anytime soon in the format. The idea of this thread is to expose them....so here goes:

1) Vampire (1979) - A horror film starring Richard Lynch, Jason Miller, E.G. Marshall and Kathryn Harrold.....I always thought that this was a cool little film featuring Lynch as (what else?) a vampire named Voytek with Miller and Marshall tracking him down. I wouldn't mind a company like Blue Underground or Anchor Bay getting their hands on this one.

2) Cliffhangers - I remember this show from the late seventies featuring 3 stories....the one I remember the most was the Dracula one featuring Michael Nouri in the role. The other 2 stories were passable, but the Dracula one was fantastic....at least from what I remember of it.

3) Key West - I remember this short-lived show from the early 90's featuring Fisher Stevens as a factory worker who wins the lottery and decides to go to the famous florida town to follow in Ernest Hemingway's footsteps and become a writer. It also featured Jennifer Tilly as one of the colorful characters in town. Best way to describe this show I guess is 'Southern' Exposure.Posted Image

These are three that I can think of......care to provide some more? Feel free to add to the list.
Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#2 of 176 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 05:57 PM

There has been more than one incarnation of the classic Twilight Zone series. Aside from the classic written by and starring the wonderful Rod Serling, [which I want] I would also like to see the other attempts to do this series on DVD, too.

One that really got to me was released in the 1980s, and it was the story of a woman who met and befriended a little boy in the park. They got to be great pals, but by the end of the episode, she had the chance of a lifetime to advance her career by accepting an overseas position. The child finally broke down and confessed that he was her future son, and that if she took this chance of a lifetime, it meant that he would never be, because she was leaving behind, rather than marrying the man who would become this boy's father. Great on the heartstrings, and I still think of that episode a lot.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#3 of 176 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 13 2004 - 06:25 PM

Nightmare Cafe 80's, I think two people died and were forced to spend eternity patching other people's lives by working in at an all night diner.
American Gothic, Sheriff Buck, possibly the devil rules a small town.
Strange Luck Chance Harper is Lucky, good and bad.
Johnny Staccato late 50's jazz pianist come private detective and friend to the counter culture.
Johnny Bago Fugitive like, only this guy runs away in his Winnebago and the cop chasing him is his mean ex wife.
Rags To Riches four-six singing girls get adopted by a rich man in the 60's, show aired in the 80's
The Charmings Snow White, Prince charming, their kids, her step mother, the mirror and one dwarf adjust to life in the 80's
Probe Genius solves mysteries of science
Misfits of Science super team with Courtney Cox
Phoenix I don't remember but I liked it from the early 80's, I know it was sci-fi
Out of This World Half alien half human Evie finds out she is an alien, this lasted four years but still it feels forgotten
Police Squad Naked Gun before Naked Gun
LookwellAdam West series, very good
Nearly Departed Husband(Eric Idle) and wife die and their spirits haunt their old house recently bought by a family with a child and grandfather that see them
Grand Comedy/drama, seemed soapish with Bonnie Hunt
Herman's Head four people with distinct personalities inhabit Herman's head in this classic Fox series
Gigglesnort HotelHotel, puppets, dragon, Bill Jackson
Zoobilee Zoo kids show with people in animal costumes, kind of trippy
Hardcastle and McCormick last straw, a race car driver criminal works for a judge to fight crime
BJ and the Bear/The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo come on this should be out...I guess BJ is pop enough but I want the Lobo series too
Free SpiritAlison Hannigon, Willow of Buffy, is one of the three children taken care of by a witch nanny/maid for hire
Saturday Supercade 80's cartoon about various video games
She's The Sheriff underrated Suzanne Summers series
Dinosaurs Not the mama!
The Royal Family A good show starring Redd Foxx cancelled only because he died
My Sister SamI think it is forgotten now
A few shows the name I forget:

90's comedy about a President on NBC

late 80's series paired with reruns of Police Squad on CBS primetime during the Naked Gun craze focusing on a pair of Abbot and Costello wannabees in black and white.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#4 of 176 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 06:51 PM

Once again, Way Out (CBS, 1961).
"Delenda est . . . . "

#5 of 176 OFFLINE   JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 07:06 PM

I'll second "Dinosaurs." Also, I'd love to see the Australian sci fi family show "Ocean Girl."
-John D. Moore

#6 of 176 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 09:47 PM

Streethawk: Mid-80's action-adventure show (Think "Knight Rider" with a motorcycle.)

#7 of 176 OFFLINE   Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 09:57 PM

1) Whiz Kids (83-84)
2) Crazy Like A Fox (84-86)/ Still Crazy Like A Fox (87)
3) Blacks Magic (86 Hal Linden and Harry Morgan)
4) The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (77-79)
5) Breaking Away (80-81 Shaun Cassidy)

Thats all I can think of now

#8 of 176 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
There has been more than one incarnation of the classic Twilight Zone series. Aside from the classic written by and starring the wonderful Rod Serling, [which I want] I would also like to see the other attempts to do this series on DVD, too.

One that really got to me was released in the 1980s, and it was the story of a woman who met and befriended a little boy in the park. They got to be great pals, but by the end of the episode, she had the chance of a lifetime to advance her career by accepting an overseas position. The child finally broke down and confessed that he was her future son, and that if she took this chance of a lifetime, it meant that he would never be, because she was leaving behind, rather than marrying the man who would become this boy's father. Great on the heartstrings, and I still think of that episode a lot.

All three TV series of TZ are coming to DVD this year. Look for the news stories on each one by clicking here, or search for the various HTF threads about them.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#9 of 176 OFFLINE   StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 01:36 AM

Not necessarily obscure, but I'd like to see a collection of all the old ABC Afternoon Specials and CBS Schoolbreak Specials I watched growing up, as well as other one off drama specials like J.T. and Luke Was There.

#10 of 176 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 02:37 AM

VENGEANCE UNLIMITED- Starred Michael Madsen. Great show that wasn't given a chance.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#11 of 176 OFFLINE   Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 03:10 AM

Original Ultraman Series.

#12 of 176 OFFLINE   DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 03:27 AM

Quote:
Streethawk: Mid-80's action-adventure show (Think "Knight Rider" with a motorcycle.)

Is that the one with Rex Smith, who used to be on "Solid Gold"?

#13 of 176 OFFLINE   Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 03:39 AM

Silver Surfer: Short-lived Marvel animated series that I think is second only to the 1990s X-Men series in quality.

Adventures in Wonderland: Live-action Disney edutainment series that I enjoyed as a kid.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#14 of 176 OFFLINE   Randy Gray

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 03:56 AM

"I Married Dora". I know it's unlikely but it made television history with the way the series ended. The only show to actually announce in the last episode that the series had been cancelled!

Randy

#15 of 176 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 04:09 AM

Okay, okay...I'll say it. Again.

Quark and Otherworld. Bring 'em on!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 176 OFFLINE   John Carr

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 04:36 AM

What about Beverly Hills Buntz -- great show with Dennis Franz.

Elvis (the Early Years)

Topper

And lots more!

#17 of 176 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 04:50 AM

Brother's Keeper - TGIF sitcom with the exact same premise as Two and a Half Men, only it was funny.

Equal Justice - legal drama with Sarah Jessica Parker, Jane Kaczmarek, Debrah Farentino, and the great Joe Morton.

I'll Fly Away - civil rights drama with Sam Waterston, Kathryn Harrold, and the once-promising Jeremy London.

American High - documentary that followed a high-school graduating class for their last year of school.

#18 of 176 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 05:05 AM

The Equalizer. Intense forerunner of shows like Alias and 24.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 176 OFFLINE   Ron_Wi

Ron_Wi

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 05:33 AM

Grosse Pointe....a wonderful, funny, smart sitcom with a talented cast that should still be on the air, but it was on the WB. I would love to own this on DVD.

#20 of 176 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,652 posts

Posted July 14 2004 - 05:37 AM

My picks:

THRILLER (1961-62, Boris Karloff-hosted horror anthology) Universal

SUSPICION (1957, an hour-long annex of the ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS series) Universal

WAY OUT (1961, horror anthology) current owner unknown

RIPPING YARNS (1976-79, post-MONTY PYTHON comedy series) BBC/Warner

THE WESTERNER (1960, Sam Peckinpah's series) Paramount

M SQUAD (1957-60, DRAGNET via Lee Marvin) Universal

CORONET BLUE (1967, amnesiac drama) Paramount

ADAM ADAMANT LIVES! (1966, AVENGERS-ish also-ran) BBC/Warner

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968, supremely weird live-action/animation from Hanna-Barbera) Warner

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET (1969, proto-MONTY PYTHON) Thames/A&E

JOHNNY SOKKO & HIS FLYING ROBOT (1969, made in the wake of ULTRAMAN) MGM

SPACE GIANTS (1972, ditto) current owner unknown

LOOKWELL (unsold pilot)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

Forum Nav Content I Follow