What's new

New Denon AVR 5805 with 10.3 channels! plus Denon new lineup of DVD players. (1 Viewer)

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Folks: I just read Denon Pre-CEDIA Press Conference at the following website:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

They say Flagship Receiver AVR-5805 will be out in October and will feature 10.3 channel (10 amplifiers). I couldn´t believe it. Read it for yourself, and tell me I'm not getting crazy.

Also, a new lineup of DVD players (some of them with HDMI output) is announced.

Octavio

Yogi

Screenwriter
That does sound scary. Where will we put the 10 speakers and all those subs. Before anyone can buy those flagships they will have to double their incomes to afford double sized homes so their current HT rooms don't end up looking like dealers rooms with a dozen speakers:laugh:. Makes so much sense for me to be going back to plain old stereo. Now I can feel good about putting all the money for those extra dozen speakers and that 6K flagship into buying bigger tube amps:D.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
wow!

they look quite short. could this be the digital amplifier lineup hinted at by denon earlier?

the numbering system change is quite dramatic, hinting at this too.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
10.3 amps? Hmmm...how does that configure? Let's see.

2 Mains
2 Centers
2 Surround
2 Surround backs
2 Effects channels [like Yamaha (?)] behind mains or overhead or between the mains and the surrounds to accentuate front to back panning
.1 Sub [mono]
.1 x 2 Sub [stereo mode]

That is an insane wall of sound. For $6K? Damn....

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I'm just wondering if they have the room to put pre-outs on the receiver for all these channels? If so, this beast would make a killer pre/pro.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
90lbs for the 5805! Holy hernia batman...

I'd say some of those amp channels might just be configurable for bi-amping :D

Now I will have to decide between the 2910 and 3910...

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator

That is an interesting premise. Yes it would make it a great pre/pro in its own right. Somehow, I'm almost sure that it will include pre-outs for all channels. I am looking forward to seeing what the separates will look like.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget that this thing is 12 inches tall which means the backplane will be huge. I suspect they will have an abundance of ins-and-outs available.

However, others are saying that the 4805 and 5805 are delayed until CES rather than October. I really would like to know the pricing and feature set on the 4805.

Bob

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I see this as a major move on Denon's part to unseat the Yamaha Z9 as one of the current kings of the flagship receiver group.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator

It seems that there is a major game of king-of-the-hill in play between a number of companies. These companies" flagship no doubt bring the acclaim which leads to sales of their lower price offerings.

I think it also reflects a bit of a change in mindset: super-receivers are seen as sensible solution for many who simply don't have the room for separates. Or they are a good initial first purchase for someone concerned with putting together his first system without the need to understand all the ins-and-outs of an actual separates system. Build it, package it and it will sell.

Bob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Don't have the room? Heck, a 12" receiver is almost the same height as two average components :eek: I do think there is a market for "super receivers" though, but at those prices, and size, I'd still opt for the higher quality of a separate amp and pre/pro, each dedicated to what it does best. Based on the size of the 5805, it is probably the closest thing to separates in one chassis right now.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator
Nearly the same height but you try stacking that pre-pro atop the amp or (shudder) placing that heavy amp on top of the pre=pro. Personally, I hope to work my way up to separates using a decent receiver as a starting point.

Bob

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would too. This is the piece that interests me the most. I can't fathom spending $6k on the Denon 5805 right now.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Shane,

Assuming the DSP horsepower is in place, one could run two independent 5.1 zones from a single 5805. I don't have enough specifics to say if this is the case.

It certainly makes sense to me though, being able to run 2x 5.1 setups simultaneously.

Cheers,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I'm sure it is not the same as a 5900 - may be a slightly stripped down version in the same chassis, but I doubt they would put out a player that was better than the 5900 under a year after it was released, for $800 LESS, because all the 5900 owners would be PISSED (I know I would be), not to mention the 5900 will still be on the market. The 3910 sounds more appealing, but the 2200 I have now has been doing just fine for me, primarilly for video (already have an SACD player). I have also been waiting to see what they would release to replace the 2900...:D

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator

John:

I think the replace is 2910. Question is: what they would release to replace 2200 model? I've been waiting to see if Denon release a replace for 2200 that includes Denon Link to match it with my AVR 3805.

Octavio

Users who are viewing this thread