What's new

Shortest time between remakes (1 Viewer)

Stephen Bort

Agent
So what’s the shortest time between remakes? Off the top of my head I’d have to say Manhunter (1986) and Red Dragon (2002), 16 years difference.

Two rules: no foreign to domestic remakes (Ringu, The Ring) and no updates by the same artists (Evil Dead, Evil Dead II). Feel free to mention them, but I’m most curious in honest-to-goodness full-out remakes.

Enjoy!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I read somewhere they're talking about remaking "Pet Sematary." It's been 15 years since the original.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

I'm going to blatantly violate this rule and mention Abre Los Ojos (1997) and Vanilla Sky (2001) which are also notable in that the same actress (Penelope Cruz) plays the same role in the both versions.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 1932 and 1941 versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. (Paramount and MGM, respectively)

While they're both adaptations, the MGM version is mainly based on the '32 film (as indicated by their purchase from Paramount of the movie).

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
"The Punisher" from -89 was remade this year. EDIT: just realized that this is not a full-on remake, merely versions based on the same source material.

"Body Snatchers" from -93 was a remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from -78 which in turn was a remake of the movie with the same name from -56.

Anything closer than 15 years?

/Mike

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK, how about a domestic to foreign remake. :)

Dracula - released Feb 12, 1931

Dracula (Spanish remake) - released Mar 20, 1931

5 weeks from original to remake. :) :) :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK, more seriously.

The Maltese Falcon (1931) to The Maltese Falcon (1941)

10 years.

Or The Front Page (1931) to His Girl Friday (1940).

9 years.

Actually Satan Met a Lady (1936) is a remake of The Maltese Falcon, which puts us at 5 years on either side.

Thought of another one:

Gaslight (1940) to Gaslight (1944) - 4 years.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Exorcist: The Beginning. :)

I think it counts since both Schrader's and Harlin's will be released on DVD.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Not really accurate anyway since the two films were actually filmed at the same time and on the same set, not unlike the English and German versions of The Blue Angel (although that was the exact same cast just reshooting in each language).

Also I think adaptations of some written works/characters go beyond this sort of thing. Do we consider every Dracula film a remake of the first film, or of Nosferatu or whatever?

Consider Wizard of Oz for another example.

Adaptations of the some novel sometimes come out very close to one another, though not always as a remake like we have in mind here. Clueless and Emma are both adaptations of Emma and came out within 1 year of each other.

And then you have the whole silent era to sound era set of remakes...

What about Robin Hood? Fairbanks - 1922, Flynn - 1938 (Alan Hale as Little John in both films)

Two film adaptations of the play The Philadelphia Story were also 16 years apart - The Philly Story (40) and High Society (56 musical version).

The two versions of The Maltese Falcon are only 10 years apart, the 1931 version and the more famous 1941 Bogart classic. (George beat me to it)

There have to be some others closer than this.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember which movie it was, but it was a movie made in 1985 that was remade in 1989. I think Nick Nolte was in the 1989 version.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

I think what you're talking about is Les Fugitifs (1986) and Three Fugitives (1989). I'm going to admit that I'm not an expert on such obscure movies and am only able to give you this information because I looked it up on IMDB.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
No real point talking about foreign-to-US remakes, since these often happen quite quickly; but for the heck of it let me just throw into the pot Three Men And A Baby and Nikita/The Assassin.

Following on from the Vanilla Sky thingy, how about The Vanishing, the US-remake was directed by the same fellow, George Sluizer, who directed the original Dutch version?

And there was a 1995 remake of Freaky Friday?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
The Awful Truth (1937) is one of my favorite Cary Grant movies. It had been filmed twice before, in 1925 and 1929. I know the '25 version was silent, but I'm not sure about the one from '29.

Another of my favorite Cary Grant movies is My Favorite Wife (1940). It was being remade as Something's Got to Give in 1962, but was never completed due to the death of its star, Marilyn Monroe. It was remade in 1963 as Move Over, Darling, with Doris Day and James Garner. (By the way, I'd snap up a DVD of that one...) Obviously it doesn't really count since the incomplete Monroe picture wasn't released (except to a recent DVD), but it is worth noting that the '62 and '63 films were not using the same screenplay.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Another one: Raymond Chandler's novel "Farewell, My Lovely" was adapted as The Falcon Takes Over in 1942, as part of the series of George Sanders "Falcon" movies. It was refilmed two years later as Murder, My Sweet (1944) with Dick Powell. That version is part of the recently released Warner Brothers film noir box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks