What's new

Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special 4-Disc Edition (2 Viewers)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm betting that the first two discs will contain the film in its entirety, with a separate audio commentary track on each disc, followed by all of the extras (production featurettes, trailers, etc.) on discs 3 and 4, much like the LOTR 4-disc EE sets.

Whatever the final lineup is, this is one title I will definitely add to my collection.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
While I don't love the film as much as some people, it's still a darn good movie and I'd pick this type of set up in a flash.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
:eek: :eek:

The 4-disc set would make sense. The film itself is long enough to justify 4 discs. There was a rumor that Olivia DeHaviland recorded a commentary for the film. I'd love to also have commentaries by Roger Ebert and Rudy Behlmer since their past tracks have been extremely entertaining.

There's an excellent feature-length documentary on the film that would take up the bulk of one disc. Combined with the many trailers, the outtakes, etc, etc...

I see Warner being named HTF Studio of the Year again. They're on fire this year!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Wow! A few minutes ago I posted something on the lack of a GWTW SE, and my prayers are being answered. I hope they do add the Turner-produced documentary on the making of the film along with the following:

all of the screen tests for "Scarlett",
the Techincolor costume tests,
Walter Plunkett's costume sketches,
William Cameron Menzies' storyboards,
some of the infamous Selznick memos,
all existing newsreel footage of the many premieres from 1939-40, 1954, and 1961,
all Academy Awards footage,
home movies from the set,
correspondence between Margaret Mitchell & David O. Selznick,
the 1967 tv special "Hollywood- the Selznick Years",
the above suggested commentaries
and a special 2004 intro by Olivia deHavilland!

Terry St

Second Unit
There is a tremendous ammount of room for improvment over the current DVD version. This could be a worthy double dip!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
To add on to Charles' post, I wouldn't mind if they included a snippet of footage from the film's 1960's widescreen presentation. It doesn't have to be long, maybe just the main title credits or one key scene as a comparison to the OAR of the film.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
If this rumor is true, then it will be the way Gone With The Wind should be presented on DVD - lavishly. Really looking forward to seeing the results of the Ultra Resolution 3-strip restoration process on this one. I saw the 1997 theatrical re-release on a GIANT screen and was blown away, but that was before Ultra Resolution came along. I saw what it did for Singin' in the Rain (saw that theatrically too) and I still can't get over how vivid the colors were!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I'm doing the happy naked dance!

Why no DTS?

Why isn't this classic film, which sounded fine in the first place, remixed into 5.1?

this one will be mine!

I was just in the Forum Cliches thread. :)

Seriously, this movie deserves this treatment. I'll be picking this up on release day, even if it means bringing in $30 in pennies to pay for it. :)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I pray it doesn't get reframed for 16:9 displays, because then I'd give a damn.

The horror!

(Can't wait for this one)
Mike

George See

Second Unit
I hope this actually does come out as soon as this fall, i've been holding off on buying the current DVD for what seems like years now based on the rumor of a future special edition. I would love to see a score only track on this disc that would be really cool.

George See

Second Unit

I've heard there won't be any shooting as all the guns have been changed to walkie talkies.

Seriously though if aside from restoration a single frame of this movie is changed that will be a crime against humanity.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

Doubtful the DVD would have the score, but the entire score, directly mastered from the session opticals, was released as a gorgeous 2 CD set by Turner/Rhino in 1996.
Has a stunning booklet by Rudy Behlmer. Well worth a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks