Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special 4-Disc Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
363 replies to this topic

#1 of 364 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:05 AM

As per today's Bits' Rumor Mill:

Quote:
We're hearing new reports about a possible 4-disc Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special Edition that's in the works at Warner Bros. Word is that the title has been announced already for release in Germany on 11/5. We DO know that such a title had been planned as at least a 2-disc special edition [...] and that it has undergone the "ultra restoration" process at the studio. We've also been hearing whispers about the release from industry insiders. This would be the first retail confirmation of the title, and the first time we've heard about the release being expanded to 4 discs.

Commence drooling now.

#2 of 364 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,129 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:16 AM

Since our chat with Warner, we've been expecting such an announcement.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 364 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:19 AM

what can we expect to get on these 4 discs ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 364 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:23 AM

I'm betting that the first two discs will contain the film in its entirety, with a separate audio commentary track on each disc, followed by all of the extras (production featurettes, trailers, etc.) on discs 3 and 4, much like the LOTR 4-disc EE sets.

Whatever the final lineup is, this is one title I will definitely add to my collection.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#5 of 364 Tim_C

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:32 AM

While I don't love the film as much as some people, it's still a darn good movie and I'd pick this type of set up in a flash.

Phone rings,
Door chimes,
In comes
Company!

#6 of 364 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

The 4-disc set would make sense. The film itself is long enough to justify 4 discs. There was a rumor that Olivia DeHaviland recorded a commentary for the film. I'd love to also have commentaries by Roger Ebert and Rudy Behlmer since their past tracks have been extremely entertaining.

There's an excellent feature-length documentary on the film that would take up the bulk of one disc. Combined with the many trailers, the outtakes, etc, etc...

I see Warner being named HTF Studio of the Year again. They're on fire this year!

#7 of 364 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:50 AM

Wow! A few minutes ago I posted something on the lack of a GWTW SE, and my prayers are being answered. I hope they do add the Turner-produced documentary on the making of the film along with the following:

all of the screen tests for "Scarlett",
the Techincolor costume tests,
Walter Plunkett's costume sketches,
William Cameron Menzies' storyboards,
some of the infamous Selznick memos,
all existing newsreel footage of the many premieres from 1939-40, 1954, and 1961,
all Academy Awards footage,
home movies from the set,
correspondence between Margaret Mitchell & David O. Selznick,
the 1967 tv special "Hollywood- the Selznick Years",
the above suggested commentaries
and a special 2004 intro by Olivia deHavilland!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#8 of 364 Terry St

Terry St

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 09:26 AM

There is a tremendous ammount of room for improvment over the current DVD version. This could be a worthy double dip!

#9 of 364 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 09:39 AM

To add on to Charles' post, I wouldn't mind if they included a snippet of footage from the film's 1960's widescreen presentation. It doesn't have to be long, maybe just the main title credits or one key scene as a comparison to the OAR of the film.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#10 of 364 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,181 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 10:42 AM

I CAN'T wait for this! Gone With the Wind is definately a favourite of mine, so I will be counting down the days!

Andy

#11 of 364 Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted July 12 2004 - 12:49 PM

If this rumor is true, then it will be the way Gone With The Wind should be presented on DVD - lavishly. Really looking forward to seeing the results of the Ultra Resolution 3-strip restoration process on this one. I saw the 1997 theatrical re-release on a GIANT screen and was blown away, but that was before Ultra Resolution came along. I saw what it did for Singin' in the Rain (saw that theatrically too) and I still can't get over how vivid the colors were!

#12 of 364 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:18 PM

I'm doing the happy naked dance!

Why no DTS?

Why isn't this classic film, which sounded fine in the first place, remixed into 5.1?

this one will be mine!

I was just in the Forum Cliches thread. Posted Image

Seriously, this movie deserves this treatment. I'll be picking this up on release day, even if it means bringing in $30 in pennies to pay for it. Posted Image

#13 of 364 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:44 PM

I pray it doesn't get reframed for 16:9 displays, because then I'd give a damn.

The horror!

(Can't wait for this one)
Mike
Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#14 of 364 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 03:22 AM

Interesting reference of Apocalypse Now and GWTW in the same post (see above).

#15 of 364 George See

George See

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 05:46 AM

I hope this actually does come out as soon as this fall, i've been holding off on buying the current DVD for what seems like years now based on the rumor of a future special edition. I would love to see a score only track on this disc that would be really cool.

#16 of 364 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,615 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 13 2004 - 06:06 AM

I'm just hoping that the scene where "Scarlett shoots first" at the looter isn't changed.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#17 of 364 DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 06:07 AM

LOL

#18 of 364 George See

George See

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
I'm just hoping that the scene where "Scarlett shoots first" at the looter isn't changed.

I've heard there won't be any shooting as all the guns have been changed to walkie talkies.

Seriously though if aside from restoration a single frame of this movie is changed that will be a crime against humanity.

#19 of 364 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,615 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 13 2004 - 07:22 AM

They didn't have walkie-talkies in the 1860s, so Scarlett will be menacing the looter with a telegraph key.....
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#20 of 364 Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 08:28 AM

Quote:
I would love to see a score only track on this disc that would be really cool.

Doubtful the DVD would have the score, but the entire score, directly mastered from the session opticals, was released as a gorgeous 2 CD set by Turner/Rhino in 1996.
Has a stunning booklet by Rudy Behlmer. Well worth a purchase.

Forum Nav Content I Follow