Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mercedes 1993 SL500

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul NNNN

Paul NNNN

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 10:07 PM

Has anyone upgraded their sound system from the original factory install? I have just broken and removed the original cassette holder and now have a open space. I am considering to install a new deck - preferably one that is black to match, new speakers in front doors and rear. The only option for the rear appears to be to cut holes into the rear compartment lids (as far apart as possible)to fit a 6 inch speaker. If I go this route I would like to have black grills that lie as flat as possible and are sturdy enough to take the weight of groceries etc that are usually dropped in the rear. Has anyone installed a sub woofer in the SL? Appreciate any help from someone who has actually gone through this upgrade. Cheers Paul

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 04:03 AM

ignore the rears... work with your front stage first... do you ever go to a concert and face away from the stage?? im guessing youve likely got the becker 3 way setup up front, which gives you a great starting point with quite nice factory locations. work there first then see if you even desire having rear speakers...
Semper Fidelis

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark gas

Mark gas

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 09:28 PM

Go with a Nak hu it will match you dash the best.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   David.G

David.G

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted July 24 2004 - 03:06 AM

get Eclipse HU, better than Nak. As far as rears go, don't worry about them yet. Get better front speakers. I'd suggest CDT CL series. They have a 3way setup or you can build your own also. As far as subs go, what size and where? If you don't want too much boom and more just punchy bass get a 8" or a 10". I'd suggest RE or ED. ED can operate in smaller boxes but RE has more SPL which with a smaller sub could help offer more "boom" if needed. haven't ever installed a sub in a SL but its pretty much all the same. Figure out a space you want it to go in, make sure your enclosure has the correct internal volume and go from there. Since space is a definite problem, i'd suggest an 8" sub, RE 8 RE series sub. Isn't there space right behind your seats? You can make a box using a combo of MDF and fiberglass for the sub. MDF on the front where the sub screws into and fiberglass the rest. It'll take up less space since fiberglass can be really thin but very strong. RE Audio here's the site for the sub.
David is the car audio guy, Jason is the home audio so if you see a post in car audio thats David, if in Home thats more than likely Jason. Confusing isn't it!!! Also i hope i am allowed to put my sounddomain down on my equipment page. Its car audio but you guys might enjoy it.

http://members.sou...

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark gas

Mark gas

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted July 30 2004 - 07:52 PM

But the Nak will match better with the interior of the car.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 01 2004 - 01:04 AM

well.. if you really want to go high end and match the factory look... Becker.. maker of the stock unit, makes some very high end head units
Semper Fidelis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users