Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

cigars vs cigs smoke

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 David McGough

David McGough

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 05:17 PM

Ive started smoking cigars. I have maybe 2 a day.
I used to smoke cigs a few years ago.
How does the 2 tobacco differ. Cigars Id say are alot
stronger. I do inhale a few times.
Anybody have any findings on how they compare.

I know both are killers and are not good for you.
I have just found cigars relaxing and taste good.

David
Tennessee
>

#2 of 7 Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 02:46 AM

Well, it depends on what kind of cigars you are smoking. Some are very mild, while others can be overpowering.

I don't think I could handle 2 a day (I smoke maybe one a week, and have never been a cig smoker). You've got lungs of steel if you inhale cigar smoke, some of them are just too strong!

Here's a small blurb with some info:
Quote:
Risk to the pipe or cigar smoker's health

The difference in risk to cigar smoker’s health, as compared with cigarette smoker’s health, is largely due to the differences in smoking patterns of the two groups. In the classic studies of smoking, such as those by Doll and Peto, the overall risk of premature death was raised some 70% in cigarette smokers compared with non-smokers. In comparison, the risk for pipe and cigar smokers was only up to 10% higher than non-smokers. However, in such studies, pipe and cigar smokers were usually defined as those who had never smoked cigarettes: these primary smokers tend not to inhale and so are exposed to relatively low amounts of tar and other harmful constituents of the tobacco smoke compared with cigarette smokers. Nowadays, with most pipe and cigar smokers being ex‑smokers of cigarettes, they may also have transferred their inhalation techniques, despite the irritancy of the smoke: in this case, they will be at significantly greater risk of disease than pipe or cigar smokers who have never smoked cigarettes. [4]

The smoke of cigars is more alkaline than cigarette smoke and dissolves more easily in saliva. Therefore the desired dose of nicotine is achieved without the need to inhale the smoke into the lungs. Cigars are capable of providing high levels of nicotine at a rate fast enough to produce clear dependence, even if the smoke is not inhaled.

Toxicology of cigars

A class of highly carcinogenic compounds known as tobacco-specific, N-nitrosamines (TSNA) is present in cigar smoke at significantly higher levels than in cigarette smoke. Examination on a “per gram of tobacco smoked” basis reveals that tar, carbon monoxide and ammonia are produced at greater quantities by cigars than cigarettes. When equal doses are applied, the tar produced by cigars exerts a greater tumorigenic activity in mice compared with the tar from cigarettes, because cigar tar contains higher concentrations of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. [5]

I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.

#3 of 7 StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 03:24 AM

I can say that out of the 3, I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco. I can stand cigarette smoke, but have always hated cigar smoke. I don't know what it is about pipe tobacco that makes it smell good to me.

#4 of 7 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,401 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:46 AM

I have read that it's useless to inhale from a cigar. There is something about the chemical properties that makes it's ph level equivalent to that inside your mouth. That is why they say let the smoke float around your mouth because that is how you will get the most "intoxicating" effect.
Cigarettes on the other hand match the ph levels inside your lungs which is why you inhale them.

Not sure about pipe tobacco though.

*edit* I just re-read Leroy's quote which pretty much says the same thing...oops. :b

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#5 of 7 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 06:00 AM

Huge cigar fan here. Almost (I said almost) nothing beats a good cigar and good micro-brew. Some of my favorite smokes are;

Ashton
La Gloria Cubana
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
Punch
Romeo y Juliet
Partagas
AVO XO
Padron
Davidoff

...to list a few. Mainly, the darker Maduro Smokes are what I prefer, the stronger, the better. I never inhale, just let the smoke linger. I enjoy about 1 a week or less, usually just on the weekends out front by the fire pit. Or, when over at Disneyland. Love hanging out there with a beer and cigar at the Grand CA Hotel.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 7 Chris Knox

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 06:32 AM

Cigar smoke is intended to be brought into your mouth where it sits on your pallette then blown out without ever being inhaled. You get the 'high' when the drug enters your saliva glands and is processed throughout your body from your mouth as opposed to your lungs. A cigar smoked properly should never give you lung cancer (although mouth cancer is no picnic, I'm sure).

Those who inhale cigars generally only inhale about a fraction of the smoke and this is primarily because of a throw back of when they smoked cigarettes. I do not recommend inhaling cigars, yet I know there are those that do. A standard 48 ring gauge cigar about six inches long contains the tobacco equivalent of more than a pack of cigarettes. Plus this tobacco is not processed the way cigarette tobacco is processed and there are no filters. I imagine you'd die of lung cancer smoking cigars the way you smoke cigarettes about twenty times as fast (speculation on my part here--the Surgeon General, I isn't).

Cigars with natural wrappers are generally milder and they go all the way up to maduro wrappers which are very strong. about 80% or more of the cigars flavor comes from the wrapper itself.

For some reason, maduro cigars make me sick almost everytime I smoke them, and I've been smoking for years (not inhaling). I prefer the natural or Conneticut wrappers.

Pipe smoke is treated to smell the way it does (unless you are smoking just plain tobacco in your pipe). I do not know the origin of this as a rule or how far back it goes.
"Well, I guess I must have missed the part in the Old Testament where it states, 'Verily I say unto thee... despair not over the bones in the ground, for I have placed them in just the right manner to simulate nonexistant eons. Likewise, woe be unto anyone who searches the firmament for signs...

#7 of 7 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:37 PM

A buddy of mine was a die-hard smoker, and took up pipe smoking in our last year in college -- yes, can you imagine a college boy puffing on a pipe? Posted Image

Late at nights when we were cramming in our respective rooms, he'd often sit on the couch in the corridor outside my room and light up to take a break, and even if I hadn't heard him, I'd smell the smoke and step out for a chat. Good times...

(And in case anyone comments about smoking indoors, our rooms opened to an open-air corridor, so it was actually "outdoors".)