Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Will 'Into the West' Be on the ROTK EE?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Ron Morgan

Ron Morgan

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 05:12 PM

I was very dissapointed that the video for 'Into the West' was listed on the first release specs for the Theatrical Ed, but was mysteriously dropped before release. The first two DVDs included the videos of the end credits song, and yet the song that wins an Oscar doesn't rate a spot on the ROTK TE?

I'm hoping this will be rectified on the Extended Edition- maybe New Line wlll also treat us to Annie Lennox's performance from the Academy Awards telecast (in addition to, not in place of, the video.)

Does anyone have any info on this? Also, does anyone else really, really want the video on the DVD, or am I the only one?

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 01:17 AM

I sure hope so .
I'm actually listening to the song as I read the post wondering if I will ever see the video..
Ken

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted July 12 2004 - 03:02 AM

Did you see Annie's performance on the Oscar's. It literaly brought tears to my eyes. She did a beautiful job.

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 03:56 AM

I thought she didn't do a good job at the Oscars, to be honest. It sounded pretty awful to me....

I really like the song though, and I don't understand it wasn't on the dvd of the theatrical version. Isn't it about time for an announcement of the extended edition if it's still on course for the holiday season? When did they release the specs of FOTR and TTT?
E-Mail | Collection

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   Jeff B.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:02 AM

I thought she over sang to an extreme during the oscars. Her face was contorted and she was trying too hard. I too really like the song and believe Annie is very talented, but I think she should have performed the song in a mirror before she did it at the oscars to see what she looked like.

Anyways, I hope they put the video on the EE. I know Jackson is going to treat this right as he did the last two.

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 07:27 AM

Not to derail the thread, but didn't Annie Lennox also sort of apologize for her performance in her Oscar acceptance speech? Something along the lines of "glad the Academy didn't decide based on tonight's performance"? I'm not sure though....
E-Mail | Collection

#7 of 35 ONLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:31 AM

I like Annie Lennox a lot but her Oscar performance of "Into The West" was not her finest hour. She sounded a bit off-key to me, and I wonder if she was having trouble hearing the music.

In her speech she said something like "I hope you liked my performance" (directed at PJ), but I don't remember her being apologetic at all.

I saw the "Lord Of The Rings Symphony" with the Houston Symphony two weeks ago. "Gollum's Song" & "Into The West" were sing by Dutch singer Sissel. This may sound like heresy, but IMO her gentler (but still powerful) interpretation of ItW blew Lennox's out of the water.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:33 AM

I also preferred Sissel's version when I saw her in concert, earlier this year in Ohio. By the way (not that this is an ultra-critical bit of information or anything), she's Norwegian, not Dutch.

#9 of 35 ONLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:39 AM

Haggai, you're correct. I knew as soon as I posted it that Dutch wasn't right...

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 08:51 AM

Craig, I found the speech here and you are correct.

Maybe it was one of the BBC commentators..... Posted Image

Anyway, about when is the EE announcement due?
E-Mail | Collection

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 01:57 AM

I agree with Craig and Haggai. I thought Sissel's live performance of the song was superior to Annie Lennox's recorded version, let alone the Oscar performance.

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 04:52 AM

I'm intrigued by this praise of Sissel's rendition. Any way to hear it without going to a concert? (i.e., online?)

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#13 of 35 ONLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
Anyway, about when is the EE announcement due?
It's supposed to be sometime this month, I think.
Quote:
I'm intrigued by this praise of Sissel's rendition. Any way to hear it without going to a concert?
Not that I'm aware of. I've heard there's eventually going to be a recording of the LotR Symphony, and perhaps at that time we'll get it.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted July 15 2004 - 10:27 PM

I for one can not wait for the ROTK EE to be released. The movie was awsum but I dont think I can take putting up with the DD track much longer. Plus I really want to watch all three EE back to back as soon as ROTK EE is available. The DD track on ROTK is ok but still laking and falls short like most DD tracks seem to do. Not enough depth and clairity especially in the dialog in the center channel. Once the ROTK EE is released the TE will collect dust just like the first two movies do. I mostly only watch the EE versions of the first two movies in DTS and the third movie will not be any different.

DIE DOLBY DIGITAL Posted Image Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 03:16 AM

Thank you for sharing that anti-Dolby Digital rant with us (just after I read your similar one in the Star Wars thread).

Oh, and the word is 'awesome', BTW.Posted Image
"There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" - The Doctor.

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted July 16 2004 - 03:55 AM

Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but that hasn't bothered me . Anyways, I find the DD track to be quite nice. I also prefer the DD tracks on the EE DVD's thus far. I just thought I would chime in. However, I won't derail the thread anymore.Posted Image

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Steven Sims

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 06:37 AM

The video for Into the West being left off the TE is brought up all the time and I haven't seen anyone ever answer the question, was there even a video made for that song? I don't remember ever seeing one. Maybe that's why it was left off the TE.

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Jehan

Jehan

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
I for one can not wait for the ROTK EE to be released. The movie was awsum but I dont think I can take putting up with the DD track much longer. Plus I really want to watch all three EE back to back as soon as ROTK EE is available. The DD track on ROTK is ok but still laking and falls short like most DD tracks seem to do. Not enough depth and clairity especially in the dialog in the center channel. Once the ROTK EE is released the TE will collect dust just like the first two movies do. I mostly only watch the EE versions of the first two movies in DTS and the third movie will not be any different.

DIE DOLBY DIGITAL

comedy gold!

I was going to ask what high school you attended since I know the area but upon examining your profile, I stand corrected Posted Image

Home Theater • 2004 Film List • 2003 Film List • 2002 Film List • 2001 Film List

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 06:57 AM

Is something wrong with Dolby Digital? Last time I checked, DVD reviewers were raving their fool heads off about the Dolby Digital tracks on:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
A Bug's Life
Tron: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition
Amadeus: Director's Cut
Goldeneye
Bruce Springsteen / Live in New York City
Black Hawk Down

The most important factor in a quality presentation of audio in the home is a good mix. High bitrate can't make a bad mix sound better. A bitrate lower than dts doesn't necessarily make a great mix sound bad.

---------

As for Annie Lennox on Oscar night, she didn't mangle the song, she was just off-key on a few notes, and she looked to be struggling with it. No big deal, I still enjoyed her performance.

#20 of 35 ONLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
The video for Into the West being left off the TE is brought up all the time and I haven't seen anyone ever answer the question, was there even a video made for that song?
Thank you for asking that, Steven. I asked the same thing in another thread a while back and got no response.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow