Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Windows XP Install Help!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 JasonMC

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 04:46 PM

I've decided to build another computer and all of my parts came in this weekend.

I have Windows XP Home upgrade disc. I previously had a Full Install Windows 98. I run the XP install, which includes: Format partition, loading files onto the hard drive. It then reboots and boots right back to the original set-up page instead of the GUI page where Windows XP is really installed. I hope that makes sense. The hard drive is listed in the Bios to boot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

#2 of 7 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 04:54 PM

Try removing the XP Home CD from the CD drive on the next boot.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#3 of 7 JasonMC

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 05:50 PM

Chris,
Thanks for the tip. I tried that and I got a message to enter a bootable disk. I have an Abit AN7 motherboard. I'm going to call it a night and try some more tomorrow after work.
Also, I don't have a mouse installed at this time. Would that cause any problems?
Jason

#4 of 7 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 06:20 PM

No, not really.

OK, it's set to boot from the HD, and this is an otherwise fresh install (you're using an upgrade disc and then slipping it a 98 disc at somepoint?)

The HD is not on an external controller (ie, like a promise card) and it isn't Serial ATA, right?

If it is Serial ATA, of course, then during the install you need to hit F6 to provide it with Nvidia SATA drivers, and if it's on a promise, same deal.. otherwise the drive won't be made bootable. What this is telling you is that the HDD doesn't have a partition marked Active.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#5 of 7 AndyVX

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 08:27 PM

Does the XP upgrade disc allow you to do a clean install?
Andrew

#6 of 7 JasonMC

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 12:05 AM

Yes it does. It just asks for a previous copy of a windows disk. I put in my Windows 98 full install disc.

#7 of 7 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 02:43 AM

Right, and that's fine. Just making sure the HDD isn't on a controller card or SATA. This is a standard ATA HDD, on the primary controller, correct?
My Current DVD-Profiler