What's new

Image flicker on Criterion's The Lower Depths? (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the double dvd set of Renoir and Kurosawa's versions of The Lower Depths. I watched the Renoir version last night and noticed a lot of scenes had an annoying flicker (or maybe shudder is a better term). Almost as though the print was loose.

My dvd player went bellow up the other day and I had to watch it through my Playstation 2, so there in may lie the problem.

Anyone else notice this? It occured during some scenes (I know it was present during the first few scenes) and not in others. The print was otherwise amazing in quality. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have a faulty disc.

Thanks for any help.

ShaunS

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
No, exactly the same shudder on my copy. It looks like the element used for transfer was originaly processed sloppily (most of the equipment available to the French film industry before WWII was pretty dire - note also the frame-edge blur evident in certain scenes of Pepe le Moko due to poor quality lenses) and there isn't a lot that can be done digitally to reduce constant shaking like that.

It is slightly headache-enducing, but as you say the actual clarity and condition of the image is otherwise remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks