Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Image flicker on Criterion's The Lower Depths?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 01:33 AM

Just got the double dvd set of Renoir and Kurosawa's versions of The Lower Depths. I watched the Renoir version last night and noticed a lot of scenes had an annoying flicker (or maybe shudder is a better term). Almost as though the print was loose.

My dvd player went bellow up the other day and I had to watch it through my Playstation 2, so there in may lie the problem.

Anyone else notice this? It occured during some scenes (I know it was present during the first few scenes) and not in others. The print was otherwise amazing in quality. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have a faulty disc.

Thanks for any help.

ShaunS

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 05:57 AM

No, exactly the same shudder on my copy. It looks like the element used for transfer was originaly processed sloppily (most of the equipment available to the French film industry before WWII was pretty dire - note also the frame-edge blur evident in certain scenes of Pepe le Moko due to poor quality lenses) and there isn't a lot that can be done digitally to reduce constant shaking like that.

It is slightly headache-enducing, but as you say the actual clarity and condition of the image is otherwise remarkable.