Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paradigm Studio 100 v.2 owners past & present: Upgrade plan?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul Gere

Paul Gere

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted July 10 2004 - 02:05 PM

Well, as the post cites, where will you go next?

Studion Ref. v.3?
Paradigm Signature 8?
Some other brand?

here's my deal...
My room is dedicated to HT, with 85% HT and 15% critical 2 channel listening. I've enjoyed owning my Studio 100's (v.2) for a while now, but believe that improvements I've made upstream would be better realized if I upgraded my mains (and associated other HT speakers). Specifically, I think better/clearer mids and highs can be had with better detail resolution and soundstaging with my stuff (Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro, Parasound 250w x 2 and 220 x 5 amps).

Options...
1. Upgrade to v.3 100's. I'm told this brings better mids/highs.
Advantages: I could keep my current Studio ADPs for surrounds. I could upgrade to the CC-570 (I have studio CC) and improve the whole front soundstage.
Negatives: Much fuss for a small increment of improvement (IMO)

2. Upgrade to Signature 8's.
Advantages: Sound great, leapfrog v.3 100's.
Negatives: Big cash, would have to replace other Paradigm speakers in my 7.1 rig.

3. Change brands for whole system. I'm seriously considering B&W Nautilus 804's as the beginning of a total re-do.
Advantages: Delivers the sonic presence, separation and mids I'm craving for less cash than Paradigm Sigs.
Negatives: Total 7.1 Do-over with $$$ involved. I could sell off my whole system to help fund, but a real production to get done. Would probably have to move back to 5.1 for a while to afford the cost.

What are other Studio 100 owners thinking these days?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   BobRoulier

BobRoulier

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted July 10 2004 - 03:17 PM

I sold my studio 100s,cc and adp surrounds for the my new sigs S2s and c3 center, with a good sub and profesionally calibrated I am very happy the sound is worth it and the finish is top notchPosted Image

for me the it was the upgrade I was hoping forPosted Image

Bob

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   John Robert

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted July 10 2004 - 04:16 PM

I'm in the middle of a similar process upgrading an Infinity Intermezzo system. Good luck, but get ready for a rude awakening as to the value and difficulty selling your used speakers...

John

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 10 2004 - 07:37 PM

Quote:
Good luck, but get ready for a rude awakening as to the value and difficulty selling your used speakers...

Huh? Paradigms are one of the better selling used speakers I've seen. I've never had a problem selling any of mine, in fact most sold within a day or two.

You could just replace the front stage with Sigs and keep the Studio rears. Probably won't notice a huge difference with the rears, but you will have a vastly improved front stage. I agree that upgrading to the v3s is not worth the time.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul Gere

Paul Gere

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 02:21 AM

Thanks all!

First off, I agree with John, I've never had any trouble selling used Paradigm Studio speakers.

Second, I have ruled out an upgrade to v.3. To much fuss for a small increment of improvement.

For the price of the Sigs, the playing field opens dramatically, so we'll see how that goes...

Other thoughts?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 11 2004 - 04:31 AM

You might want to give Joseph Audio a listen Posted Image While the Sigs sounded very good, the Joseph's sounded amazing in the same price range.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 04:44 AM

I agree with your second point of not upgrading to a V 3 from a V 2. In the Monitor series, I have been considering upgrading from the V 1 to V 3. It appears there is enough of difference from V 1 to V 3 to make a difference.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.