What's new

NORTH and SOUTH: Coming Soon on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who hadn't heard, North and South COMPLETE COLLECTION is coming to DVD on October 5th. This is a 5-DVD set.

For more details, please see here: North and South

I've waited FOREVER for collection. Finally, "forever" is ending...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I remember this. Not sure if I'm a big enough fan to buy, but I'd certainly like a look.

Why's the second extra feature called "The Orrys"? I though Swayze's character's name was "Orry Main", so it should be "The Mains" if it's about his family, as the description suggests.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
God, it is so about time. I really would have preferred all three books to be released separately (I've heard Heaven and Hell kinda stinks) but beggers can't be choosers. I can't wait.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I caught that, too. I also realized, though, that the feature is about Orry himself, and not his family. So perhaps it's a play on words? I dunno. I haven't seen this before, though my wife has and swears I'll watch it with her. :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
so its almost 1400 minutes, yet only on five discs? That is a lot of stuff for only five discs. Probably flipper discs.

Either way, this is one of my mothers all time favorite mini series, so it will make a fine gift for her!:)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
>>I just want the first one....oh well.

But the first one is only half a story, it's all the build up for book two.

I was hoping that they'd forget that book three existed. From what I hear, it wasn't that well liked, even in book form.

As for that second feature here's what it says:

"The Orry's: Patrick Swayze talks about his role." Note the apostrophe.

I watched this (books 1 and 2) with my dad a couple of summers ago, and have been waiting for the DVDs ever since. Our tapes were in pretty bad shape, and the sound was horrible for parts 3 and 4 of book 1, and could barely be heard properly.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I missed that. Good catch. But this actually makes no grammatical sense, the "'s" suggests something belonging to Orry, whilst a straight plural "The Orrys" would suggest a feature about multiple actors that played the character Orry Main, which IIRC was not the case (just Swayze, yes?).

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be picking this up. I wish I could get just Books I and II separately, though.

I never saw III, but I started reading the book and hated it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about picking North & South up at DDD's sale this week. I've never seen any of this miniseries. I have the following miniseries and like all of them (Revelations was, to me, somewhat of a letdown but I kept it)

Band of Brothers
The Bunker
Rich Man, Poor Man (R2)
Shogun
Winds of War
Holocaust (R2)
Revelations
Roots (not started viewing)
V The Original Miniseries

War and Rememberance (in my DDD cart; never seen)

Would you all recommend North & South as a "buy"? How does it compare to the other miniseries of that were made in the 70's-80's? The IMDB and Amazon write-ups seem to be mostly favorable.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
North and South is up there as one of the best minis of all-time. If you like the Civil War period in history you will love this...a bit soap-operish, but entertaining. The great David Wolper (Roots, The Thorn Birds) produced this, so it is very similar in tone to those.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Exhuming this thread to ask a question: Has anyone noticed or heard of problems with these (double-sided) discs? Watching episode 2 of Book 1 last night, it froze up about 5 minutes before the end. Tried other players, same thing. Anyone with similiar experiences?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not me. I've watched all three parts twice (even though the third time is definitely not the charm), and had no technical problems.

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
My set is "A-OK" , it might be your player.

Even some of the best players on the market can`t play ALL dvd`s out there.

Last year I bought Twin Peaks box set and some discs , I can`t nav. thru the menus with my DV-79AVi , but put the same disc in my $60 Sony `57 and it works fine.

Just the way it is !!

Good luck, :)

Gary 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks