What's new

*** Official ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Off to see it right now. The reviews look so-so, but the previews look damn funny. Fingers crossed.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Definitely funny stuff. I'm not sure it was as good as Dodgeball, but Ferrell, Rudd, Koechner and Carell were hilarious. Also great cameos from Vince Vaughn, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson, and Tim Robbins. The Anchorman showdown was classic. They tried to jam in as many crazy-ass jokes as possible, and for the most part they succeeded.

It may have been even funnier if I saw it with a better crowd. I don't think anyone laughed the entire time, but they all seemed pleased when they were walking out. Strange people.

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
Going to see it later tonight. My friends and I have been waiting for this one for a while. Just wondering if there was anything after the credits?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
There were goofs during the credits, but I don't remember anything after the credits.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
As you can see from my sig (which i've had for a long time), i'm a huge Ferrell fan and have been following this flick since it was announced. Needless to say, i caught an early showing this evening and wasn't disappointed. Well, let's say i was dissappointed only because it was short. It felt like a lot of stuff was left out-which it was. I looked at a lot of the trailers and a lot of the really funny stuff was left out. Still absolutely hilarious if you're a ferrell fan. I also read that they had a 4-hour cut of the film at one point and that they plan on releasing an entire film's worth of footage on a SE dvd. Something like they cut another whole film entitled "wake up, ron burgundy" or something. Now that's something i'd like to see. Also, stick around for the end credits....Burt Reynolds and an outtake from Smokey and the Bandit makes an appearance...nice touch

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Hilarious.

"There will be tales of your compassion."

"Would you like to come to my pants party?"

Those are off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll remember more once I see it again.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was hysterical. I don't know if my experience was usual though- my wife thought I laughed more than anyone else in the theater. I can't help it- I think Will Ferrel is about the funniest person alive right now.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This movie was beyond hilarious! Honestly, one of the best comedies I've seen, and while I loved Dodgeball, I think this definitely surpasses it. Such a great poke at 70s pop culture. Ferrell is always great, and I think this is his best film to date. He's a riot as Burguundy, but he's not the only riot in this film. There's also David Koechner, Paul Rudd, and Steve Carell, all of whom are hysterical perfection as the rest of the Channel 4 news team. Vince Vaughn is stellar as well as the head of the main rival news team, and I can't forget the several wonderful cameos from the likes of Ben Stiller, Tim Robbins, Luke Wilson, and Danny Trejo. The rival news stations battle is one of the funniest, most over the top sequences I've seen in a while, and I loved every second of it. Stiller is especially crazy as the head of the Spanish station. "El policia!" :laugh: The scenes between Ron and his dog, Baxter are also wonderful. I also liked the scene where Veronica tells the boss the three things she's good at, which she's gonna do next, and his response, hehe. There's also the phone calls Ron and Champ make to Veronica. Hell, there's hardly a scene in this film that isn't wonderful! Great quotes galore too:

"It smells like Bigfoot's dick."

"Were you saying something? Sorry, I don't speak Spanish."

"I'm going to punch you in the ovary."

"I'll take your mother out to a nice seafood dinner, and then not call her."

And many more. Those are just the ones I liked off the top of my head.

This has been a surprisingly great year for comedies IMO, with many new all time favorites for me.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I loved it too but I think that it will turn out to be the most oft-criticized segment of the film. Its so much of a break from everything surround it its rather surreal, especially when limbs started coming off.

I'm glad you highlighted the news crew Justin. Ferrell was certainly stellar but the entire cast did a great job. I particularly enjoyed Steve Carrell's Brick Tambland.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

"LOUD NOISES!"

"I pooped a hammer."

Great. Just great. The most delightfully random comedy since Dodgeball. I can't imagine what two more hours of Burgundy's world would be like... but I know I'll buy it for sure.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I laughed my ass off and I never do that in the theater. I had a feeling I'd enjoy Anchorman though. Not only does it star the always brilliant Will Ferrell, but it was produced by Judd Apatow who's responsible for the short-lived classics, The Ben Stiller Show and Freaks and Geeks.

Fred Willard deserves mentioning. It was nice to see him actually being used in this film after he was completely wasted in last year's American Wedding.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Holy Crap! I don't remember the last time I laughed so often and so hard at a movie. I read some review that said Steve Carrel's non-sequiters were dumb and unfunny. What BS. They were one of the numerous highlights of this awesome movie. I was just about in tears when Jack Black kicked Baxter off the bridge, and so was the majority of the packed theater I saw it in. The "Afternoon Delight" sequence is possibly the best random break-into-song scene in a movie. I loved when Brick and Brian did the women's part while Champ and Ron beamed. Classic.
Tim Robbins had a great line before the rumble began. I think he said "No commercials...No mercy." can somebody confirm or corect the second part of the line?

Bring it on!

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Steve Carrel stole the show, hands down. I loved some of the scenes they deleted in the blooper reel:

"I ate fiberglass insulation over the weekend. It wasnt cotton candy like that man said. ...my stomach is ITCHY!"

"I drank a lava lamp"

Only Carrel can deliver these lines with hilarity, for sure.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I'd buy a DVD just of a outtakes of this movie because you know there was plenty of good stuff left on the cutting room floor.

I wasn't all that into the film in the first 10-15 minutes, but then the "Yazz flute" scene arrives, and the movie just gets more relaxed and funnier all the way to the end.

I thought it was funny that Christina Applegate was giving as good as she was getting. Carrel was so deadpan funny in his attempts to fit in while being severely undermine by his miniscule intellect.

I almost pissed myself during the scene where Ron asks Veronica if he could show her the town, and his obvious arousal was on display (pitching a tent, so to speak). You think about it, but you just never expect to see it in a movie. Hee hee hee, still laughing about it when I recall that scene.

I also almost lost it when Baxter saved the day with his negotiating skills with the bears. Loved those subtitles of animal speak.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My favorite of Burgundy's comments was: "You look like a dirty pirate hooker. Why don't you go back to Whore Island?"

:laugh:

Here's my review of the movie.

Very funny, but also rather sloppy.

Dodgeball I still liked better, but I look forward to meeting Ron again soon.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Very funny stuff. :emoji_thumbsup:

I loved the news crew showdown but I must say the funniest bit, for me, was the panther sex cologne bit. I was crying. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks