Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best "Unplugged" albums?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 02:31 PM

I've got Nirvana, and Clapton's on order... what are some of the other worthwhile Unplugged albums? I've just discovered this stuff is actually pretty good now that I have real speakers. Posted Image

PS: Back in highschool my guitar playing friend actually performed an "Unplugged heavy-metal & rap" act that was quite good. I remember I remember Deicide's "Once upon the cross" was friggin hilarious a cappella Posted Image . Suprisingly most of Rammstein's work was still quite good.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#2 of 42 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 02:35 PM

I think Alice In Chains is top notch. They are one of my favorite bands, so I obviouly like the repetoire, but on top of that, the sound quality is outstanding.

Actually, that title is also available on DVD, and has a great DD mix. I have both.

BGL

#3 of 42 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 02:50 PM

I like the Neil Young one. I have it on Laserdisc instead of CD which makes it extra fun. I like his pump organ!Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#4 of 42 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 03:43 PM

McCartney's if you can find it.

#5 of 42 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 04:43 PM

Not "Unplugged" as in MTV, but the excellent Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live At Luther College acoustic CD is worth getting.
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 42 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 04:58 PM

Has there ever been a Hall & Oates unplugged album? I saw them live here way back in 1992, and their unplugged set was awesome and I've been looking for an unplugged album ever since.

#7 of 42 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 12:30 AM

10,000 Maniacs. Unfortunately, some of the best stuff from the show is omitted from the recording (but present on the VHS).

#8 of 42 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,087 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 12:54 AM

Nirvana, 10,000 Maniacs and Neil Young are all great choices. Another really good Unplugged performance, if you're into his kind of thing, is Tony Bennett.
Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#9 of 42 Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 01:09 AM

The album titled "dwightyoakamacoustic.net" for Dwight Yoakum and country fans.

#10 of 42 Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 01:18 AM

I agree with all the above mentioned as well as these. Staind Unplugged is good. Pearl Jam and STP (unofficial) Ive heard that the Smashing Pumpkins VH1 Storytellers set is excellent (also unofficial)Alice In Chains albums Jar of Flys and Sap (not really unplugged, but mostly acoustic with some electric overtones)the Incubus DVD When Incubus Attacks Vol 2 has an acoustic set which sounds great. Im sure other bands do this on some dvd's too. I believe Ben Harper has some stuff you can find. aside from that a lot of bands release acoustic versions of songs that you can find free on their websites or radio station websites. for instance Deftones released a couple songs acoustic "Drive Me (Far Away)" for instance until their label got mad at them and told them to take the songs down. you could make a list of bands you like and songs you like and search for them, and make your own acoustic mix. You can go to MTV.com for a list of who did Unplugged performances and set-lists, and VH1 for the Storytellers shows. - hope this helped a little Also, Bela Fleck has acoustic material out there if you like bluegrass.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#11 of 42 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 02:20 AM

Quote:
Not "Unplugged" as in MTV, but the excellent Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live At Luther College acoustic CD is worth getting.

IMO, not only is the music on this one great, but the recording is as well.

While it is a bit older than the other CDs discussed here, try "Friday Night in San Francisco"...it is one of my favorites.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#12 of 42 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 05:03 AM

The Eric Clapton Unplugged CD is, IMHO, the definitive Unplugged. The quality is absolutely stellar. The Tony Bennett Unplugged CD is also quite an enjoyable listen. My parents and I watched his Unplugged concert on MTV back in 1995 and thoroughly enjoyed it. His rendition of "Fly Me to the Moon" is truly unplugged thanks to Bennett's amazing vocal range. I was also able to find Paul McCartney's very rare Unplugged CD as well - another good addition.

Another good CD, or even LD, to pick up is Bruce Springsteen's Unplugged concert. The CD has five or six tracks on it, while the LD had the entire concert and three tracks that weren't featured on the telecast. This one's more "Plugged" than "Unplugged" because after one or two songs Springsteen said the hell with it, let's crank it up.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#13 of 42 John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 05:07 AM

I'm not a big fan of unplugged music but I did like Nirvana's CD.

#14 of 42 ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 05:46 AM

Nothing better than hearing barr chords mashed on an acoustic.

#15 of 42 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 05:49 AM

Yee-Ming,

I believe a couple of Hall and Oates performances are available on those "Unplugged" compilation DVDs. Otherwise, Hall and Oates releases a concert DVD earlier this year that featured a segment where they performed "unplugged"....songs like "Out of Touch". The DVD comes with a CD of the concert. Highly recommended!!
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#16 of 42 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 07:42 AM

Bryan Adams Unplugged is pretty good too.

#17 of 42 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 11:50 PM

Excellent, thanks for the heads up Danny!

i'd agree Clapton's Unplugged is pretty good, with one big exception: "Layla", unplugged, is a horrendously watered-down version of the original. The intensity of the first half, followed by that amazing coda with Allman's slide guitar, is just soul-wrenching. The unplugged version is merely a "nice ballad". I pity the teens of today (more accurately, of the 90s) who think of "Layla" as a nice softie ballad and have never heard the original version.

#18 of 42 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 10 2004 - 05:20 AM

Boz Scaggs' FADE INTO LIGHT , Japan only CD release, has several tracks from his Unplugged performance. It's baffling why it hasn't ever been released in the U.S.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#19 of 42 Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted July 10 2004 - 07:53 AM

Nirvana and Alice in Chains are my favorites. I think the covers (Bowie, Meat Puppets) that Nirvana does are fantastic.

#20 of 42 Mark Romero

Mark Romero

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted July 10 2004 - 06:27 PM

Another vote for AIC.