What's new

DRACULA 1979 on 10/19 (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Someone mentioned on another message board that the 1979 version of DRACULA with Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier was up for pre-order on DVD Planet. I took a look, and sure enough, it is. I haven't heard a thing about this release. I wonder if it will be anamorphic, and if the transfer will be taken from the rich Technicolor theatrical release rather than the dull, monochrome master that appeared on laserdisc and DVD. Any info on this release would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Fangtastic news, one of my favorites, saw it in the cinema back in 79, loved it.
I didn't bother with the dvd after I read how crap it was, all the color 'bled' out of it (supposedly at John Badham's request), I hope this is a much improved copy, and John Williams score is superb.:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Universal's B2B website only lists it a widescreen and includes no other details.

If John Badham supervises the transfer, you can pretty much count on it being drained of color - he originally wanted it filmed in black & white and "corrected" the widescreen LD. Too bad, since the rich color of the theatrical release was one of the good things about the film.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Hm. I like the desaturated-colour look of the film, but then I think that's the only way I've ever seen it: both the current (non-anamorphic) DVD and the old widescreen laserdisc featured Badham-approved transfers.

Ideally, of course, Universal could give us both versions, the way Columbia did with Boorman's The General (except without the aspect-ratio fuckup found on that DVD, please).

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid, but let me tell you it freaked the heck out of me then. Does it hold up?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

I think it does. John Williams's score is awesome, there are excellent individual scenes, and the film holds up really well -- especially a lot more than something like BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, which between Keanu and Winona Ryder, now resembles a silly costume paegant by comparison to me. Badham's movie has a more "classical" feel to it.

I do hope they include Gil Taylor's original cinematography -- in color -- on the DVD. What Badham did, whether it was his "intention" or not, was basically pull a Ted Turner and colorize (or in his case, DE-colorize) the original film. If he wanted so badly to make the movie in black and white, he ought to have stood his ground and made a major fuss about it in the first place.

Taylor's cinematography utilized full color and was one of the strongest elements in the movie -- I'm hoping it's restored for this DVD.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Not a bad movie. Follows, more or less, the plot of the stage version of "Dracula" rather then the novel which makes sense since it was filmed hot on the heels of Langella's star turn on Broadway in the title role. I had the great fortune of seeing it and still remember Edward Gorey's wonderful set design.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
An isolated score would be a beautiful thing since the soundtrack album is a re-recording and the original tracks have never been released, and because Universal doesn't seem that keen on re-issuing soundtracks on CD.

I'd love to see the full color on this and of course it needs to be anamorphic if Universal want's me to re-purchase it.

Oh, and after this, please re-issue Flash Gordon.

Neil

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I have the LP of the score and I never knew that it was not from the original sound track. The cover states "original soundtrack". A case of some ad copy writer not knowing the difference between a soundtrack and a score? Why would MCA Records, an Universal subsidiary, have the score re-recorded? Technical reasons? Artistic? Some sort of bizarre rights issue?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Same here. I also hope that the DVD includes the original music playing on the victrola in the scene where Lucy and Jonathan dance near the beginning of the film. The laserdisc and the DVD have different music on it, apparently because of a rights issue. It's not a big deal, but the original music was definitely better.

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Looks good. Far better than the back-to-front poster art and snapper case of the last release! :)

Yeah, my old CIC/DiscoVision laserdisc has the original soundtrack, but I think all the other prints I've seen of this film have had the music altered for that sequence. It would be nice if they could reinstate the original music.

I've always loved the vibrant colours in this film. It's a great shame John Badham decided to subdue them for the widescreen laserdisc transfer.

Hopefully, we'll see Gilbert Taylor's beautiful cinematography restored to its former glory this time round. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
been in limbo for the last week- but this is GREAT news!.

goes without saying though, that if it isn't ananmorphic its a big 'no sale' for me.

Universal has been pretty consistent with the upgrades to the old image titles so i'm optimistic.
count me as wishing the film would be restored to the full color of its original theatrical version.
desaturating what was originally intended as color is just not the same thing as lighting and shooting with B&W intention.
its just watering the soup and i can't believe Badham was satisfied with the results there.

oh and, while its not that high a priority on my list, i don't dig the new cover art.
i liked the classic key art image.
oh well- if thats the biggest disappointment i have with the release...i won't complain anymore :).

great to be able to cross another title off the long list!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just checked Amazon today and it looks like this is delayed until 10/19...no doubt Universal feels "Scary" titles will only sell close to Halloween. It's funny how scary titles only sell at Halloween and when there's an overhyped summer blockbuster in theaters, huh?

As an interesting side-note, Amazon has suddenly given this dvd a subtitle: Dracula (1979)[dubbed in English]!! :laugh: Who are these people entering info in their databse??

Anyway, I'd still like to find some info on whether or not this will restore the theatrical color design. It drives me nuts that every time I pop this in the dvd player my partner says he thinks the drained color looks "neat." I swear he's trying to make me nuts.

Anyway, does anybody have any new information?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Unconfirmed but I have heard that after much arm twisting John Badham has agreed that a full color version of Dracula 1979 will be released on dvd later this year. Wahay! Thanks John.
And he's done a commentary too, oooh! But sadly not 5.1 sound.

Here's a link to menus, specs and cover.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12437

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wow! Anamorphic, a director's commentary, and a making-of. Good news, indeed. I HOPE that's true about the color!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks