What's new

Is the RoboCop Mini-Series on DVD Any Good? (1 Viewer)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I picked up the RoboCop trilogy this week and I also saw a series of DVDs featuring the four Canadian-made RoboCop telefilms. Any RoboCop fans out there think the mini-series is worth picking up on DVD blind? I never saw the mini-series when it aired on Space, but I've read some good reviews online. It can't be as bad as the short-lived TV show from the mid 90s!

Rob T

Screenwriter
I loved that old show. :D

I haven't seen the mini-series though. :frowning:

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
I love the original film Robocop, Robocop 2 below average and Robocop 3 terrible.
I've seen the mini-series after reading good reviews but for me it just didn't work. I liked the fact that Murphys son now works for OCP but other than that I hated it, the guy looked to short in the suit and marched like a royal guard when he walked.
I would say if you enjoy Robocop 3 you would probably get something out it.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I never got into the TV series, but I loved the mini-series (despite Robocop being too short). I can now enjoy Robocop 3 as an over-the-top bad movie that deserves to be MST300ed.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed the mini-series parts quite a bit - but the last two were definately best.

The mini-series is certainly miles better than the Robocop 3 and the old tv-series.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Robocop: Prime Directives was a 4-part miniseries which aired on the Scifi Channel back in 2000. Each part was 2 hours long with commercials (but 375 minutes total according to IMDB), so it was basically 4 tv movies that tied in together. It was definitely better than the original 1990s tv series, as well as Robocop 3, but it had its flaws. Page Fletcher (from HBO's The Hitchhiker) just wasn't good casting for Robocop, however I did like him in the flashbacks of Murphy as a cop before the events of the first film. As with a lot of tv movies, the plot was too drawn out and dull, with not enough action to keep people interested. I found myself getting bored with the story several times. It wasn't easy getting thru all 4 movies, and I wasn't really satisfied with the overall story by the end of part 4. It doesn't have any repeat viewing value, but I guess it's worth seeing at least once if you're a real hardcore fan of Robocop. If you can find it for rental then go for it, but I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks