What's new

Anyone ever buy a CD, only to find the manufacturer put the wrong CD in the case? (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
That's what happened to me. I ordered a bunch of Bruckner CD's from Amazon. When I put one on, it was a string quartet and piano quartet by Walton. The jewel case is for the Bruckner symphony and the CD itself is marked as being Bruckner.

The recording itself is of Walton pieces.

Weird, huh? In all my years buying pieces of music, this has never happened.

Am I the only one?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Not with a cd but I remember buying the Michael Franks cassette with "Popsicle Toes" on it (can't remember the album title now) popping it into the deck and sitting down to read a book and listen to a little light pop-jazz and never hearing Popsicle Toes! I then > the tape and realized none of the songs matched up to the titles printed on the case and the cassette. But I liked what I got so I kept it. But I never did get the Popsicle Toes tape though. Thanks for reminding me of one of my life's little mysteries :) .

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Happened to me once years ago. I bought what I thought was Joy Division's greatest hits and got a collection of pieces of baroque music. I wrote to the pressing plant and got by return both the Joy Division album and the baroque music album with an apologetic letter.

Perversely enough, I ended up playing the baroque album more than the Joy Division. A few times a year JD can just hit the spot, but for most of the time, boy are they depressing.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"Except in this case, it is a box of chocolate covered almonds, I guess you pretty much know what you're going to get"

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
When I worked at a record store that took in used CDs, I was excited to see someone bring in the Rhino 2cd Cars collection "Just What I Needed," but when I checked out disc 2, the pressing plant had printed the Cars label on a copy of a 2-song LeeAnn Rimes single. :angry:

John Milton

Second Unit
I've seen this happen with DVDs but never in my over 2500 CD purchases over the years... thankfully.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've gotten the wrong vinyl record before and I once bought a 7" single record with the correct label on it but was in fact a Meatloaf single. Mearde happens!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
A few months ago, I went to buy the 2nd Rolling Stones CD on Abcko . When I played the disc, it was "The Rolling stones, Now" disc inside. When I returned it to Tower, a whole bunch had the same problem. A few months later, there was a story on this issue in ICE Magazine . You were supposed to contact ABcko for a replacement, which I did, but I still have not heard back from them

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yeah, I sent an email to Naxos. Hopefully, I'll get a satisfactory response soon.

We'll see.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
I went in t Best Buy to replace a copy of Another Green World by Brian Eno a few years ago. The only one in the store had a jewel case front with AGW and the back of the case was The Concise King Crimson. Mead the store guy open it before I bought. I should have waited since I just replaced all 4 of the first Eno discs with the new DSD remasters and they are sparkling. No remixes or remastering just a great new transfer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When I got the Lennon Anthology boxed set, CD One was some kind of "Jock Jams" compilation! The art was correct - it LOOKED like a Lennon CD - but the music wasn't...

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I've had 2 discs in one case. My Ozzfest edition of As The Palaces Burn by Lamb of God and The Art Of Balance by Shadows Fall have 2 cds in one case. So does my copy of Archetype by Fear Factory, and St. Anger by Metallica. But those were all intentional! ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It was a surprise! I'd not realized Lennon composed "Bad to the Bone"...

The worst part was explaining it to the clerk at Borders. She just DID NOT GET IT. We played the disc but she still couldn't figure out what the problem was. Very frustrating...

Jesse Lawson

Agent
A few years ago I bought a cheap used copy of the Claudio Abbado set of Rossini's Semiramide. I didn't play it for several months, though. When I finally did I found that the third disc, though labeled as being Semiramide, was actually some very circus-y orchestral pieces, obviously not by Rossini. Didn't bother trying to do an exchange, since it had been such a long time....

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
One of the first widespread CD mislabelings was a Lawrence Welk CD, which on the disc was the soundtrack to "Sid and Nancy" featuring mostly Sex Pistols songs. It became a collector's item. The closest to a mislabeled disc I ever got was a promo single of a group called "Kittie", track listing shows 1 song called "Spit" and one called "Suck", and includes both album and radio versions. I don't know what the songs actually sound like though, because the CD actually has some Spanish album on it.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Oh, boy!!! That sweet elderly woman who opened her Lawrence Welk CD now probably has a bunch of tattoos, a pierced tongue, and regularly smashes into people at punk concerts, all while playing polka music on her accordian.:D

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I can partially recall 1 case with an LP that had the correct label, incorrect music (back in the 70's), but can't remember the specific artist/album. Also had 2 of the same LPs in a double album set. Never a problem w CDs that I can remember, except for a missing disc of a multi-disc package.

Had a similar problem with a DVD, where the wrong disc was in the package (but label did match recorded content).

Anyway, better than it happening to medication.

Doug

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I spent a fortune on a Peter frampton DVD-Audio disc and really got an SACD. The disc is even labeled DVD-Audio. Thanks for the rip off Universal Music Group. At least it was supposedly autographed by Peter Frampton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks